Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Setting up a website-help needed

Early Doors

Coach
Sep 15, 2003
Horsham
I'm about to set up a business, and am looking to buy a domain name as the first step.
Buying the name seems easy enough, but then there's the option for loads of add-ons, and that's where I'm getting confused :shrug:
There are options for web 'hosting pacakages' and 'instant website'. I assume I don't need these as I can buy the name then get someone to build it. Can anyone confirm if I'm right?

Then there is 'HyperSubmit SEO Tool' :eek: anyone know what that is?

Is there anything else I should look out for? Any hidden pitfuls?

Any advice would be VERY gratefully received.

Thanks

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I'm about to set up a business, and am looking to buy a domain name as the first step.
Buying the name seems easy enough, but then there's the option for loads of add-ons, and that's where I'm getting confused :shrug:
There are options for web 'hosting pacakages' and 'instant website'. I assume I don't need these as I can buy the name then get someone to build it. Can anyone confirm if I'm right?

Then there is 'HyperSubmit SEO Tool' :eek: anyone know what that is?

Is there anything else I should look out for? Any hidden pitfuls?

Any advice would be VERY gratefully received.

Thanks

Speaking from personal experience I found that Microsoft Frontpage was easy to use. I also had some web space 'free' from my ISP.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Speaking from personal experience I found that Microsoft Frontpage was easy to use. I also had some web space 'free' from my ISP.

Frontpage doesn't exist any more (last updated 2003), makes websites that only work in 70% of browsers, and costs a fair bit of money. ISP webspace looks REALLY unprofessional for a business.

Anyway - at the moment if you're just getting the domain you don't need hosting - you'll need to get this when you've got a site ready to launch. "instant website" woud just be a set of templates, its no use. "HyperSubmit SEO Tool" is a con, so just unselect it.

Whoever you get to build the site will likely have their own opinion on what hosting to get, anyway. Just make sure you remember all the login settings for the domain.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Anyway - at the moment if you're just getting the domain you don't need hosting - you'll need to get this when you've got a site ready to launch. "instant website" woud just be a set of templates, its no use. "HyperSubmit SEO Tool" is a con, so just unselect it.

Is the correct answer if all you're looking at is a website BUT if you want email ahead of when your web site goes live then it is worth looking at hosting now so you can get email to your new domain name ( unless you plan to host your own mail server like Exhchange which I doubt otherwise you wouldn't have asked the questions above ). I would recommend you find your web developer and then sort out a hosting package ASAP.

Early Doors

Coach
Sep 15, 2003
Horsham
Thanks for the replies, they help a lot.

Backs up what I initially thought, buy the name, then sort out building/hosting seperately.

Ta

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
All I would add is that the sooner you get the site up the better. Even if it's just one page with some basic information about your site, its topic, some actual copy and your contact details. It can take new sites months to get listed in Google (your key means of publicising your site) so the sooner you start the better.

Make sure you have written meta tags (see notes here) to make it easier for search engines to work out what you are about.

If this means getting a cheap hosting package from day one, then do it. A good solid host - with great support is 1&1 and they have packages from £1 or £2 a month if I recall. I'm sure Bozza could post a decent deal from 1&1 on here. The added benefit of 1&1 is that you might get a .co.uk thrown in - depending on the current deals.

PS Do wait for a Bozza link - he'll get a few quid for NSC if you do decide to get hosting from 1&1 via his link!

Early Doors

Coach
Sep 15, 2003
Horsham
All I would add is that the sooner you get the site up the better. Even if it's just one page with some basic information about your site, its topic, some actual copy and your contact details. It can take new sites months to get listed in Google (your key means of publicising your site) so the sooner you start the better.

Make sure you have written meta tags (see notes here) to make it easier for search engines to work out what you are about.

If this means getting a cheap hosting package from day one, then do it. A good solid host - with great support is 1&1 and they have packages from £1 or £2 a month if I recall. I'm sure Bozza could post a decent deal from 1&1 on here. The added benefit of 1&1 is that you might get a .co.uk thrown in - depending on the current deals.

PS Do wait for a Bozza link - he'll get a few quid for NSC if you do decide to get hosting from 1&1 via his link!

Thanks TRHK, really useful info.

cheers all :thumbsup:

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I wouldn't just jump ahead and buy a domain name, I'd speak to whomever is going to build your site for you to help you decide as there are lots of variables which can effect what sort of domain you should purchase. For example, is your business going to be marketing to just the UK, or will it include mainland Europe and/or US? From a Search Engine Marketing point of view, it can sometimes help to have your Domain name match or include a specific Keyword Phrase. Without getting too deep, there are lots of things to consider here, depending on what type of business you plan on promoting.

Just my $0.02

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland

Google now completely ignores the 'keywords' meta tag due to gross abuse of it.

Major problem of any form of 'search engine optomisation' is that as soon as a technique gets known, Google engineers against it. "link exchange", putting keywords in background colour in the body text, etc, etc will all actually get you punted down the rankings rather than up it.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
it can sometimes help to have your Domain name match or include a specific Keyword Phrase.

Good point, but if it's a UK website stick to .co.uk or .com. Don't be tempted by anything else. However, Google insists that keyword phrases in the domain name do not affect the quality score.

Google now completely ignores the 'keywords' meta tag due to gross abuse of it.

Google ignores the "keywords" tag, that's true. But the point about using title, keywords and description tags is that it helps the search engines understand what your page is about. Some still consider keywords. Not advocating search optimisation or anything naughty - just good practice. And it is still good practice to "label" your pages with tags.

In fact if you look in the Google Webmaster tools, you will see that they rank a site based on whether the tags are in place or not.

CONCLUSION - general principles apply:

1. If you're in the UK buy a co uk or com - get advice about domain buying if you need it
2. Get something one the site as soon as you can - ideally just a description of the service and contact details. Use the hosting supplied templates if you must.
3. Write real title, keyword and description tags to help search engines find your site

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here