Setanta on the brink ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Surely if you want to cancel your subscription you just cancel the Direct Debit with your BANK, phone the company, tell them you've cancelled and leave them to sort it out.

:shrug:

Not as simple as that , Setanta have a strict cancellations policy , officially you have to cancel in writing by post or e-mail and there is a 30 day cancellation period.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Martin Lewis is always complaining that they have appalling customer service and a possibly illegal cancellation policy,

And their gold and black colour scheme is funkin horrible

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Surely if you want to cancel your subscription you just cancel the Direct Debit with your BANK, phone the company, tell them you've cancelled and leave them to sort it out.

I used a debit card not a DD - you have write in and formally cancel

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Setanta is the only channel that gives good coverage to both boxing and MMA (namely UFC) and usually this coverage is good. These sports would suffer badly if Setanta goes under.

So far I am content with Setanta - but then again I haven't tried to cancel yet...

To be fair, Sky (albeit mainly through SBO) do a pretty good job on the boxing front, totally agree with you regarding the MMA though.

I'm not a Sultana subscriber, but the MMA and their monpolisation of the non-Sky boxing has tempted me a fair few times.

Fatboy Quim

Jan 27, 2005
Sky is good. But it tends to focus on the British fights whereas Setanta I feel is a more rounded coverage of the boxing world, and in turn, the more important fights.

Setanta is value, if only for Bunce's boxing hour. Don't know if anyone saw it but his near the mark mockery of Jade Goody yeasterday was some of the greatest TV I have seen in years. I love Buncey.

Watch it. It's great.
YouTube - Steve Bunce vs Jade Goody

alan917

Aug 5, 2005
Were you offered 3 months for £9.99 ? (£3.33 a month) to make you change your mind. :rolleyes:

I cancelled my subscription and was offered the next 3 months for £9.99.
Emailed them to cancel and also told them that am telling my bank to cancel the direct debit and have since had an email from them that they will be stopping the service. Will be going into the bank next week to make sure that the instructions have been carried out.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Setanta is value, if only for Bunce's boxing hour. Don't know if anyone saw it but his near the mark mockery of Jade Goody yeasterday was some of the greatest TV I have seen in years. I love Buncey.

Watch it. It's great.
YouTube - Steve Bunce vs Jade Goody

Near the mark? That was pole-vaulting over the mark and sprinting into the distance.... No fan of Jade Goody, but it made me cringe. I like Steve Bunce a lot, but just can't find anything amusing in that.

Quite ironic too that someone on Setanta Sports News should mock Living as a channel that he 'never even knew existed'. Mr Pot meet Mr Kettle..

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
According to reports in the Sunday Times and Sunday Telegraph today , Deloitte the administrators have been put on standby. It looks ominous for Setanta now as somebody on Digital Spy posted that they rang Setanta yesterday to take up the £3.33 per month offer (£9.99 for 3 months and no admin fee) only to be told by a customer service agent that no more sign ups were being taken.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Just to give people a warning, I've twice been subscribed to Setanta (once with Sky and once with Freeview), and it took a long, long time, and much annoyance to cancel both subscriptions. I sent three hand written letters in my attempts. Two recorded delivery.

If you are wanting to get out before they go down the drain, I'd recommend doing so much sooner than later.

Maybe I was just unlucky. Doubt it.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Setanta are notorious for messing customers about when they want to cancel. Until last year they had a 60 day cancellation period which has now been reduced to 30. It is worse if they owe you money after taking out extra from a direct debit and trying to get it reimbursed is a nightmare.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Just to give people a warning, I've twice been subscribed to Setanta (once with Sky and once with Freeview), and it took a long, long time, and much annoyance to cancel both subscriptions. I sent three hand written letters in my attempts. Two recorded delivery.

If you are wanting to get out before they go down the drain, I'd recommend doing so much sooner than later.

Maybe I was just unlucky. Doubt it.

I also had a nightmare trying to cancel, definatly the worst company I have ever had the unfortunate pleasure of dealing with, as I have said on another thread about them, there customer service is just non existant.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003

Is the correct answer, also avoids any "Termination charges".:wave:

Sir Norman Gull

Where's my poncho?
Mar 28, 2008
Location Location
I cancelled this week as we have moved to Sky and because of the ongoing situation of the last few months with Setanta. If the post on Digital Spy is correct how is it I received an email today at 1.00pm trying to persuade me to stay with them at the special rates? They don't know what they are doing!! My debit was taken on debit card so you have to rely on them to honour the cancellation notice after the set cancellation period. What you do if they ignore this is to contact the debit card services of your bank who can cancel recurring orders made by card.The only downside is that they allow 31 days for this to take effect, so if your payment comes out in the meantime they can do nothing about it.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
According to reports in the Sunday Times and Sunday Telegraph today , Deloitte the administrators have been put on standby. It looks ominous for Setanta now as somebody on Digital Spy posted that they rang Setanta yesterday to take up the £3.33 per month offer (£9.99 for 3 months and no admin fee) only to be told by a customer service agent that no more sign ups were being taken.

True, they've also removed the page from their website.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
All over the BBC and various newspapers today that they nearly went last night and could be gone by the end of the week if they don't raise a lot of money

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports