Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Setanta Loses Premier League Rights

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Thinking about it, they wouldn't need a whole new channel for the football anyway.

They would need extra channels if they cherry picked the sports rights that Setanta forfeit , eg PGA , IPL and Rugby. They have won both of the Premier League packages and it looks like Sky will handle subscriptions on their behalf.
The SPL are set to agree a £90M deal covering 4 years with Sky which will also see Sky Sports Xtra renamed Sky Sports 4.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
They would need extra channels if they cherry picked the sports rights that Setanta forfeit , eg PGA , IPL and Rugby. They have won both of the Premier League packages and it looks like Sky will handle subscriptions on their behalf.
The SPL are set to agree a £90M deal covering 4 years with Sky which will also see Sky Sports Xtra renamed Sky Sports 4.

Reported to be launching a third channel

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
I'm rather pleased that ESPN UK have won the rights to be honest and even better they will be available in HD :D

Also the fact that they are likely (for the time-being anyway) to be included with Sky Sports/Sky HD pack is a bonus (only on Sky).

I hope the SPL also go to ESPN UK as on Sky I don't believe they'd get much of a showing and would likely be up against the Premier League on Sky Sports 1.

gruntage

Jan 14, 2008
Bristol
Also the fact that they are likely (for the time-being anyway) to be included with Sky Sports/Sky HD pack is a bonus (only on Sky).

Where have you heard that? I assume ESPN will have a deal like setanta - where people have to pay extra to set it up, however you will set the channel up through sky.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Where have you heard that? I assume ESPN will have a deal like setanta - where people have to pay extra to set it up, however you will set the channel up through sky.

Presumably reading Digital Spy. It's a bit like Northstandchat in many ways.

Kick Ass Minton

Brooklynite
Oct 8, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Fingers crossed Setanta US goes belly up as well and ESPN pick up the Footy and Rugby over here as Setanta isnt available on TWC in NYC

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
'tis indeed brilliant news. Subscribers will have wasted money, investors will have lost their...investments and people will be without jobs. :clap2: At least we won't have to put up with Steve McManaman. :wozza:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here