Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Setanta in the rain

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
No its a very common problem.I had to cancel mine as everytime it rained or windy the picture would go.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
ok but not HD on Veetle.

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
Completely boring I know but Santanta broadcast on a different satellite to Sky. They transmit on Eurobird which is on a slightly lower powered multiplex compared to Astra which Sky transmit on (cheapskates basically)

Eurobird can be picked up by existing Sky users via their dishes BUT unless your dish is aligned properly break up occurs frequently. They don't tell you this when you sign up (obviously) but by getting your dish properly aligned the problem can be resolved easily. Those via freeview will not experience this.

I'm going to be working next door to their TX building very soon so i'll go and have a word if anyones really that upset.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Completely boring I know but Santanta broadcast on a different satellite to Sky. They transmit on Eurobird which is on a slightly lower powered multiplex compared to Astra which Sky transmit on (cheapskates basically)

Eurobird can be picked up by existing Sky users via their dishes BUT unless your dish is aligned properly break up occurs frequently. They don't tell you this when you sign up (obviously) but by getting your dish properly aligned the problem can be resolved easily. Those via freeview will not experience this.

I'm going to be working next door to their TX building very soon so i'll go and have a word if anyones really that upset.

Setanta is on the Eurobird steerable 1 beam which is different to the Astra north and south beams. Different footprint coverage but you should be able to pick up the signal on your satellite box with no problems. As Sky do the majority of installations using sub contractors they slap the dish up as quickly as possible without aligning it on the weakest transponder signals to optimize signal strength and quality. If the picture is pixellating or there is no signal , rather than blaming Setanta you need to blame the bloke in the white Transit who put the dish up in 5 minutes. Setanta's picture quality is crap due to the low bitrates they use as several channels are crammed onto a transponder and with sporting action , higher bitrates are needed so they all give a decent picture at the same time.

Setanta is on the Eurobird steerable 1 beam which is different to the Astra north and south beams. Different footprint coverage but you should be able to pick up the signal on your satellite box with no problems. As Sky do the majority of installations using sub contractors they slap the dish up as quickly as possible without aligning it on the weakest transponder signals to optimize signal strength and quality. If the picture is pixellating or there is no signal , rather than blaming Setanta you need to blame the bloke in the white Transit who put the dish up in 5 minutes. Setanta's picture quality is crap due to the low bitrates they use as several channels are crammed onto a transponder and with sporting action , higher bitrates are needed so they all give a decent picture at the same time.

Now come on, SoG, you didn't actually write that, did you?!

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Get the dish adjusted, or get a proper sized one (Scottish/Irish/Welsh standard) rather than the undersized dinner plate they use in England...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I've got cable, and have no problem receiving Setanta broadcasts. Never try to watch it outdoors in our climate though........................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here