[Albion] Set pieces

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
West Ham set pieces have been rather good this season - their players and Moyes have said in interviews they are down to Paul Nevin and Kevin Nolan - the former being sacked by BHA when CH left

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
So incredibly frustrating that what purports to be the basic function of kicking a football from a corner-kick, beyond the first defender - has become virtually mission impossible.

Moder did it countless times in the first half. First opportunity in the second half and bingo, it happens again. Has that man, no dignity?

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
The other issue was why put high balls into the box anyway when you are relying on BDB to get his head to it. He seems afraid of the ball

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
placesettings_101_3.jpg

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
With our strongest side out we have Welbeck, dunk, Duffy and Webster to aim at. Tonight we had Burn who I can’t recall winning a single attacking header from set play and Veltman (ditto). And that’s it. It is nuts.

Moder needs to be in the box as at least he is tall and might win a header.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I’ve been saying for ages why don’t we take in swinging corners. Tonight they tried it for the first time in ages (presumably because of our lack of height) and now I can see why we don’t. Either woefully short, or in one case woefully over hit. I guess it is a tougher skill than just lobbing it deep like we normally do.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
So we know Burn can’t jump and is totally ineffective attacking a cross. Bit odd but it is what it is. We also know our corner delivery is shite. So why the blinking heck don’t we stick him on the six yard box and just float one over for him to back head the bloody thing into the danger zone where it might, just might, create an opportunity. It’s the easiest of corner deliveries and the easiest of headers. Potter out, me in. ��

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I remember when I got excited about corners, last night I went to refill my glass during one.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
For as long as I can remember -- since 2004 anyways -- the complaints about set pieces have been unending.

If they've actually been shit for night on twenty years this has to count as a management failure without parallel since the days of British Leyland. Across how many managers? Through how many transfer windows? In how many leagues?

It beggars the imagination

Really? David Lopez, Orlando, Vincent etc...

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Been garbage all season.

I can't understand for the life of me why Trossard doesn't take more, Welbeck's goal against Leicester came from a wonderful free kick by him. Admittedly I also appreciate Welbeck's movement is far superior to anyone else in the squad so that would have helped.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
They all seem to be low and whipped, which is why they never go past the first man. Moder is exceptional on set pieces, yet was doing the exact same things Gross hand march have been doing. This is tactical. Unfortunately its very easy to defend against, as is our general play.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I can't understand for the life of me why Trossard doesn't take more.

Let's face it, Potter won't want the only real goal threat not in or around the box from a corner who could lash it in.
Sadly that was the case last night, no dunk, duffy or maupay as a threat in the box, just an out of form and favour third string striker and a guy with a wooden leg who can manage to stick it row Z from a yard out....

That is why he was not taking corners last night.

Agreed though he should be when the squad is full strength.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Let's face it, Potter won't want the only real goal threat not in or around the box from a corner who could lash it in.
Sadly that was the case last night, no dunk, duffy or maupay as a threat in the box, just an out of form and favour third string striker and a guy with a wooden leg who can manage to stick it row Z from a yard out....

That is why he was not taking corners last night.

Agreed though he should be when the squad is full strength.
Why? He'll just do the exact same thing every one else does.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports