Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Service to Baldock tonight.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Not for me - Baldock too lightweight and dribbling skill/technique doesn't make up for that. True he didn't get a lot of ball but what he did get her lost too easily or played a very negative ball backwards.

He really is not the answer to us getting anywhere in this league. Loan striker/January signing cant come quick enough.
When he is playing as the furthest forward player and there are not often players running past him, which direction do you think he is going to pass the ball?

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
The issue last night was the balls he was receiving. 50 yard lumps from Greer and Dunk. No contest between a 6 ft 4 CB and Baldock! Against Bournemouth they we played through balls, the sort of service Colunga, Baldock and CMS all require. Tex should have scored...terrible miss going for top corner glory. Strangely the early goal seemed to make us defensive, 2nd half was a painful fear of losing the win

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
Dreadful ball control for a 2 million pound striker, no presence whatsoever, gets pushed of the ball too easily by defenders and is not that quick. Poor man's CMS for me so far. Hope he improves.

This, I'm afraid. I agree re the service point, but his first touch was consistently poor, every time enabling the defender to catch up and barge him off the ball.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
CMS is a better player, however I do expect him to be sold in January to free up the wages for the new striker.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Looks comfortably better than CMS already, far more intelligent runs and a better first touch. Far too isolated in the 2nd half, only a World Class striker could've made anything of the "service" he was getting (for service, read 40 yard balls pumped aimlessly up into the air for him to contest against a back 4).

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Dreadful ball control for a 2 million pound striker, no presence whatsoever, gets pushed of the ball too easily by defenders and is not that quick. Poor man's CMS for me so far. Hope he improves.

You are a poor judge, SB is vastly more talented
Name all of CMS's goals with his left in 100? games (then his head)....

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I like him. Intelligent on and off the field. Good first touch, unlike CMS. I'm convinced he will prove to be a good signing, just as long as we play to his strengths (a few too many balls hit straight at him last night, I thought). I think he's got the instinct to be in the right places to score goals.

I do believe it was his cross that led to the goal (that was a lovely move overall, started by the sheer energy of Elliott Bennett).

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Agree with a lot said re Baldock getting service ...he wasnt bought to run around like a headless chicken or do a few mazy runs he was bought to get goals and if we get it to him in the area or thereabouts I am sure he will score but its getting decent balls to him that is a problem not him .

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You are a poor judge, SB is vastly more talented
Name all of CMS's goals with his left in 100? games (then his head)....

Thinking more about the fact that Baldock cannot kill a ball when he receives it and on what I have seen so far he is nothing but average in every aspect. No presence, not enough pace to leave a Championship defender behind, loses most of the few balls he gets because he can't control it without it bouncing a couple of feet from him. Small and so seldom wins a header when challenging. Really disappointed that we seem to have acquired another expensive CMS clone.

I hope he has absolute blinder against Blackburn and stuffs the above down my throat but I don't buy the great player, shit service that is being peddled on here by some.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
CMS is a better player, however I do expect him to be sold in January to free up the wages for the new striker.
That seems very possible to me.

Just need a 93 day loan striker to get us through until the window opens.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Woeful.

The lad makes plenty of runs but he never gets the ball passed through to him.

What's the point in LUMPING it to him and then expecting him to win the ball and then stare at him hoping he will produce something out of nothing.

Hard to blame him for our lack of goals, my guy feeling is he could turn into a solid championship goal scorer if we counter attacked more efficiently with more runners in support.

Our problem is our midfiled, Baldock, cMS and Colunga are fast, shorter players and need the ball on the floor to make it happen. Did Sammi and the midfield learn nothing from the goals at Bournemouth, both on the ground, through the centre on to a forward infront of him to run onto. Is there anyone with a modicum of intelligence at the club.
Gardner should have been substitued after a minute as he did nothing after that, ideal replacement for Hammond a midfielder who runs slowly about,
JFC predictable with his backwards and sideways 5m pass,
Holla looks like he needs to go on a diet
Tex just needs to toughen up a little
Toko is he at the club
Augustein???
whats happened to Solly?
Is Dale Stephens coming back?
was Crofts ever ready to start the season
Our strikers will score given the opportunity, we just need someone to give them that opportunity.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Our passing game has been destroyed. The aimless lumps up front were painful to watch tonight. Not even Leo would be capable of looking good with that service.

At least those who hated our passing style under Gus and OG will be happy though.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
We have two strikers in CMS and Baldock who scored for fun in League 1 - so one can only think that we have not played to their strengths and in the manner in which they were deployed with their previous clubs it really is that simple! If our management teams (and thats from Bloom down to the coaching staff and all in between!) fail to grasp this fact then they should hang their heads in shame!!

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I dont think Baldock's runs are good enough. He just seems happy to get marked out of the game. No diagonal runs, bending runs or anything. CMS is much better at forward running but by the time he came on it was hold on for the 1-0 time.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I dont think Baldock's runs are good enough. He just seems happy to get marked out of the game. No diagonal runs, bending runs or anything. CMS is much better at forward running but by the time he came on it was hold on for the 1-0 time.

First minute run was good enough. I did not recognise it was him until I saw the highlights. Because of his restricted ability to control the ball, the passes have to be better. It was he same with Barnes and CMS. If we had Vicente putting precise passes it would be different.

We have two strikers in CMS and Baldock who scored for fun in League 1 - so one can only think that we have not played to their strengths and in the manner in which they were deployed with their previous clubs it really is that simple! If our management teams (and thats from Bloom down to the coaching staff and all in between!) fail to grasp this fact then they should hang their heads in shame!!

The difference is League 1 defenders are mostly one-paced so the likes of Baldock can prosper. At Champ level, the defenders are as quick as the strikers, so you need something else in your game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here