Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Serie A and Roma

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Since the Europa league draw I've been keeping a close eye on Roma and reading about their improvement and change in style post Jose. Their form has been pretty incredible and they currently sit 3rd in the form table over the last 6 games, Thursday looks to be quite a daunting challenge given our recent struggles.

Apart from some obviously giant clubs I don't know much about their domestic league, how does it compare to the Premier league in terms of quality and competitiveness?

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
They're scoring quite a few goals too, which is a bit of a concern given our defensive frailties ... its a huge task... they did only manage two 1-1 draws with Feyenoord, though...

I'd take a 1-1 draw in Thursday that's for sure.

I think after the group stages I didn't really fear anyone but my confidence has been knocked for obvious reasons. Just wondered how they might compare in quality to our league opponents? Are they a Villa, a United or a Newcastle or is their position more of a reflection on the quality of the League?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I just hope Roma aren't aware that they need to press us with a high tempo from the kick off.

If however they do, then the tie could be over in the opening 5 minutes, as they race tons two goal lead, and for the next 175 minutes, show the famed Italian defensive, time wasting and dark arts skills to secure an aggregate win.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I may be clutching a straws here but looking at games where we've been stuffed under RDZ we almost always dish out a spanking in our next game, in fact there's a pretty incredible pattern.

Every game since RDZ took over where our opponent has put 3 or more goals past us we've followed up with a victory, often a thrashing. The only exception was after the Villa 6-1 where we clawed back a draw away at Marseille.

Oct 22
3-1 defeat City, follow by beating Chelsea 4-1

Dec 22
4-2 defeat Arsenal, follow by beating Everton 4-1

April 23
3-1 defeat Forest, followed by beating wolves 6-0

May 23
5-1 defeat Everton, followed by beating Arsenal 3-0

May 23
4-1 defeat Newcastle, followed by beating saints 3-1

Aug 23
3-1 defeat west ham, followed by beating Man utd 3-1

Sept 23
6-1 defeat Villa, followed by coming back from 2 goals down at Marseille

Dec 23
3-2 defeat Chelsea, followed by beating Brentford 2-1

Jan 24
4-0 defeat Luton, followed by beating Palace 4-1

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
You could make a strong argument that beating last year's finalists would go down as our greatest ever result.
They're not Leverkusen or Liverpool though.
Probably more the standard of Tottenham I would say.

It really is a big task. Not impossible, but big. The key is staying in the game for the first 90 minutes.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I genuinely think we need to win the first leg. Cannot for a moment contemplate trying to break them down at home. If we can’t break down a bottom half premier league team at home we have no chance against one of the stronger Italian sides. Best chance to score will come away when they will be more aggressive.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Also someone is going to have to step up.
Dunk will, no doubt. But without JP we need at least one other player, an attacking one, to be absolutely bang on it.
I've got a good feeling about Welbeck.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Kylian Mbappe is the latest sponsor of Inter Milan:

418651901_242468188936149_799600-e1709223762596.jpg

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Spurs was the side that came to my mind too. I think if we're behind they'll get to the ref, and the timewasting and playacting will be on another level to anything we see in England. Our best bet is if their fans get onto them early.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Spurs was the side that came to my mind too. I think if we're behind they'll get to the ref, and the timewasting and playacting will be on another level to anything we see in England. Our best bet is if their fans get onto them early.

Well hopefully our side that beat them 4-2 turns up, we were excellent in that match perhaps excluding the last 20 minutes

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Without Mitoma or Pedro our two match winners it’s going to be a tall order.
They also will have one of there biggest or if not the biggest crowds of the season if reports are true.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here