Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sergei Gotsmanov

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Im sorry but has any other player even come close to the magic that that man bought to the stripes ever since he made his debut on the hallowed Goldstone turf for the oh so short time till Southampton stole him and stuck him in the f***ing stiffs to watse the rest of his career?

Zamora doesnt even come close to Sergei imho.

bosnian

Jul 31, 2003
I disagree that it is hard to compare the two players.
Zamora does not get close when it comes to quality - Gotsmanov was a full Russian international and if my memory serves me scored against England at Wembly when the russians beat us 5-1.
One of the best players I believe to grace the blue and white

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Sergei was superb - one of my favourites when we were at the Goldstone.
Also worth mentioning was the great Stefan Iovan - undoubtedly the only man in footballing history to have a European Cup winners medal AND a Sussex Senior Cup winners medal. Bet that is a topic of conversation chez Iovan when the visitors come round !!

bosnian

Jul 31, 2003
Agree about Iovan another quality player from the Barry Lloyd days, ironic really as I was regulary calling for Bazzer's head in those days.
We managed to get that friendly with Steau because of Stefan Iovan - I believe it finsihed something like 5-4

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
And whilst we're on about Eastern Europeans anyone remember Barry Lloyd's other buy from the other side of the Iron Curtain - Igor Gurinovich ? I remember as part of the deal we played Dinamo Minsk - this was when English clubs were banned from Europe so I thought we may get a few at the Goldstone that night - in a match attracting (if memory serves) about 1900 !! Ho hum

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I disagree that it is hard to compare the two players.
Zamora does not get close when it comes to quality - Gotsmanov was a full Russian international and if my memory serves me scored against England at Wembly when the russians beat us 5-1.
One of the best players I believe to grace the blue and white

Gotsmanov scored in USSR's 2-0 win at Wembley in 1984, it was only his second ever apperance at International level. He played 31 times for USSR, scoring twice, and appeared in the final of Euro 1988 where they lost 2-0 to Holland. He then appeared 3 times for Belarus following the breakup of the Soviet Union.

He is certainly one of the best and most entertaining players to grace the blue and white. Didn't he round the keeper, stop, salute the fans, then put the ball in the back of the net once?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Does anyone else remember when he rounded the goalkeeper in front of the South Stand and before slotting the ball home started to celebrate by putting his arms aloft and giving it some?

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
undoubtedly the only man in footballing history to have a European Cup winners medal AND a Sussex Senior Cup winners medal. !!

A work collegue wouldnt believe me on that or the fact that we had a Russian international play for us..:rolleyes:
Those were interesting days at the Albion...did we have negative goal difference when we got to the playoffs?

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
You talk about Iovan & Llloyd like it was a goof thing. Iovan was obvious quality so why did llyod choose not to play him in our relegation season, prefering to keep him in the reserves? It's not as if we had better players.

But then LLoyd was like that. He seemed to fall out with players, like Nelson & Clarkson & would not play them even though it meant we fielded a weaker team (Bit like McGoo) He also had a Gabbiodini on loan for a month and kept him as a non playing sub!

BTW, Gotsmanov was class, wish we could have seen more of him.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
We managed to get that friendly with Steau because of Stefan Iovan - I believe it finsihed something like 5-4

Although my memory is very hazy of that match - weren't we 4-0 up before allowing them to bring it level before the fifth was scored in front of the north stand?

I remember seeing a couple of games featuring Gotsmanov (how long was he with us for?) - what struck me was, although he wasn't very tall he always managed to win the ball in the air even though the opposition player was head and shoulders taller than him. How did he do that ??

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
You talk about Iovan & Llloyd like it was a goof thing. Iovan was obvious quality so why did llyod choose not to play him in our relegation season, prefering to keep him in the reserves? It's not as if we had better players.

But then LLoyd was like that. He seemed to fall out with players, like Nelson & Clarkson & would not play them even though it meant we fielded a weaker team (Bit like McGoo) He also had a Gabbiodini on loan for a month and kept him as a non playing sub!

BTW, Gotsmanov was class, wish we could have seen more of him.

there was a situation where LLoyd was under instruction not to play certain players and Iovan wa sone of them.It realted to appearance and win bonus moneys.

LLoyd took a lot of stick at the time ( I was very much a LLoyd hater) but when you hear it from the horses mouth just what wa sgoing on behind the scenes, you just realise just how much you do not know bout the workings and politics of a football club

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The big question is will Baz unearth another gem like he did with Gotsmanov, Small & Byrne in his present position as Chief Scout.

I once heard a story that the reason we got the eastern europeans was because BL ran a football agency for foreigners and got paid for them signing for a league club. I do not know whether or not it was true or just usual bull...t

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here