Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Serendipity of De Zerbi and Brighton underlines football’s great complexities

Quebec Seagull

Vive le football... LIBRE!
Oct 19, 2022
Gatineau, Québec, CANADA

From The Guardian:

Serendipity of De Zerbi and Brighton underlines football’s great complexities

The south coast club are not the only case where a manager inherits a legacy that proves crucial for the success he builds.

deZerbi_may2023.jpg

"It may be that Potter would have evolved and Brighton enjoyed success had he stayed. But it may also be that to play as they have this season, to reach these heights of performance, they needed to replace Potter, that De Zerbi’s arrival came just at the right time for their development. [...]

It may be that this has worked out perfectly for Brighton, that Boehly’s falling out with Tuchel was serendipitous for them, that they have made the transition to the next phase of manager at just the right time, a change they would never have made volitionally. And that is one of football’s great complexities. It is often not a case of good or bad or better or worse, but of multiple interlocking contingencies. Everything depends on something else."

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

From The Guardian:

Serendipity of De Zerbi and Brighton underlines football’s great complexities

The south coast club are not the only case where a manager inherits a legacy that proves crucial for the success he builds.

View attachment 161123

"It may be that Potter would have evolved and Brighton enjoyed success had he stayed. But it may also be that to play as they have this season, to reach these heights of performance, they needed to replace Potter, that De Zerbi’s arrival came just at the right time for their development. [...]

It may be that this has worked out perfectly for Brighton, that Boehly’s falling out with Tuchel was serendipitous for them, that they have made the transition to the next phase of manager at just the right time, a change they would never have made volitionally. And that is one of football’s great complexities. It is often not a case of good or bad or better or worse, but of multiple interlocking contingencies. Everything depends on something else."

Or, maybe the careful succession planning aims to deliver a manager best able to take advantage of the squad he inherits?

The Russian invasion of Ukraine is the event that saw De Zerbi leave Shaktar and Abramovich sell Chelsea, leading eventually to Boehly handing BHA £20M for Potter, and opening the door to De Zerbi. I don't like thinking about that too much.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Interesting article. Makes you wonder if Newcastle qualifying for the CL means they may of out grown smug Eddie? ???

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Interesting article. Makes you wonder if Newcastle qualifying for the CL means they may of out grown smug Eddie? ???
If Newcastle get their recruitment right, I can see them winning a title next year. Howe is a talented and respected manager, and they have a lot of cash to spend.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how much time they will give him if they don't kick on. Their fans will be patient, maybe less so the investors.

perthseagull

Sep 15, 2007
If Newcastle get their recruitment right, I can see them winning a title next year. Howe is a talented and respected manager, and they have a lot of cash to spend.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how much time they will give him if they don't kick on. Their fans will be patient, maybe less so the investors.
No chance of winning the league. Let’s see how they go in the transfer window under Ashworth and whether they can evolve from their basic/direct/roughhouse game to become effective in Europe. Smug will be found out - he’s got his players well drilled and built a great defence, Botman really impresses me. But there’s another level.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I still think back to the initial press conference with De Z being introduced and Tony’s immovable grin. He already knew we’d upgraded, it was just earlier than he’d planned…….hence not standing in Potter’s way at all when he wanted to go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here