Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sepp Blatter wants to move World Cup 2022

Gangsta

Jul 6, 2003
Withdean
FIFA have yet to formally approach UEFA and the clubs re this proposal. Its about time UEFA started flexing its muscles for the overall good of the game. For too long Blatter has sold world cup slots to Asia/Africa/Concacaf in return for political support. This has led to a bloated, less credible and certainly less quality world cup finals, and an arrogant dictator free to do what he wants.

Time for UEFA to say "NO" and pull the rug from under him. The non-UEFA places at WCFs do not correspond to the results that these teams have got so we now have fewer european teams at finals at the expense of poorer teams from elsewhere. So on top of this unfairness, he now wants to rip up our calander to suit his most brass-necked decision yet. Time for UEFA to step up or if they dont do it the clubs themselves. This could ruin international football, but to some extent he has already done this.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Can't see it happening as it would effect so many prominent leagues.

That said, I can imagine the inflammatory 'FIFA hates English football' headlines already as, obviously, the destruction of the English league system is top of the FIFA agenda.

Edit; to save time when someone misses it, that was sarcasm, whilst I'm sure the incredible self-importance displayed by the PL/FA is an annoyance, that's all it'll ever be.

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit
FIFA have yet to formally approach UEFA and the clubs re this proposal. Its about time UEFA started flexing its muscles for the overall good of the game. For too long Blatter has sold world cup slots to Asia/Africa/Concacaf in return for political support. This has led to a bloated, less credible and certainly less quality world cup finals, and an arrogant dictator free to do what he wants.

Time for UEFA to say "NO" and pull the rug from under him. The non-UEFA places at WCFs do not correspond to the results that these teams have got so we now have fewer european teams at finals at the expense of poorer teams from elsewhere. So on top of this unfairness, he now wants to rip up our calander to suit his most brass-necked decision yet. Time for UEFA to step up or if they dont do it the clubs themselves. This could ruin international football, but to some extent he has already done this.

Didn't Platini vote for Qatar? I'd say with PSG being owned by some Qatar based group and employing Platini's son, he's backed himself into a corner.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Even if we didn't qualify, you must be mad to think it wouldn't affect our leagues.

Would United, Chelsea et al really stand for having (as an estimate) half of their squads missing for 6 weeks in the middle of the season? Not a chance.

Their problem for having so many Johnny Foreigners ...

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I've said it before, but, surely Qatar won the bid on the basis that it would be held in the summer - I don't think there was provision in the bid to move it. Would not the other countries who lost out in the bidding process have some sort of legal comeback if it was now moved.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Can't see it happening as it would effect so many prominent leagues.

That said, I can imagine the inflammatory 'FIFA hates English football' headlines already as, obviously, the destruction of the English league system is top of the FIFA agenda.

Edit; to save time when someone misses it, that was sarcasm, whilst I'm sure the incredible self-importance displayed by the PL/FA is an annoyance, that's all it'll ever be.

In Blatters quote from today "The executive will certainly follow my proposal, then we will have dealt with it for good" - so who's going to stop him ??

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Serious question:

Are FIFA accountable to anyone? Could anyone take them to task? Who owns FIFA?

It seems that if any government tried, it would just look like pettiness or sour grapes.

It requires the Swiss police (or other countries police forces where offences may have occured) to investigate allegations of corruption against individuals within FIFA to get this ball rolling. As many of us may have, I have seen a Panaroma investigation of alleged corruption against specific individuals within FIFA. What are the (Swiss) police doing about this?

FIFA and their representatives are not above the law (or they should not be!)

lethaldrizzle

Apr 30, 2007
South East London
The chance of it happening depends on what deal the European leagues can make with their TV rights holders and sponsors. Obviously a league season with 6 weeks running in parallel with a World Cup (and no-one is watching) is worth much less to the sponsors and TV companies. Can they reach a compromise, a season that went on into July for instance, where they would be willing to pay the same amount as usual? If they can't resolve a deal of that sort it's going to be a no-go.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
It requires the Swiss police (or other countries police forces where offences may have occured) to investigate allegations of corruption against individuals within FIFA to get this ball rolling. As many of us may have, I have seen a Panaroma investigation of alleged corruption against specific individuals within FIFA. What are the (Swiss) police doing about this?

FIFA and their representatives are not above the law (or they should not be!)

If I remember correctly, doesn't FIFA have various exclusions enshrined in Swiss law, so they can't be prosecuted for some things. I don't know how that works, just what I seem to recall.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
This is really freaky - I overheard a conversation in a pub a while back: a few lads were talking about the 2022 World Cup and one of them said "Phew! It's going to be a bit hot in Qatar in the summer. I wonder if anyone's thought about that?" To my mind, he had a point. I mentioned this to a mate of mine, and he also said "Yeah - good point. Could be hot in Qatar in summer." We both wondered whether anyone had thought about this point, and now I'm having a little chuckle to myself because a fourth person has had the same thought, but this time, it's someone who's involved with football, so, yeah, I'm starting to think that people are now wondering whether it might be a bit hot. To be honest, I think it is and maybe we should consider either playing at a colder time or even moving the tournament to a country that doesn't flog people, enslave Asian workers or make it illegal to engage in homosexual activities.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
This is really freaky - I overheard a conversation in a pub a while back: a few lads were talking about the 2022 World Cup and one of them said "Phew! It's going to be a bit hot in Qatar in the summer. I wonder if anyone's thought about that?" To my mind, he had a point. I mentioned this to a mate of mine, and he also said "Yeah - good point. Could be hot in Qatar in summer." We both wondered whether anyone had thought about this point, and now I'm having a little chuckle to myself because a fourth person has had the same thought, but this time, it's someone who's involved with football, so, yeah, I'm starting to think that people are now wondering whether it might be a bit hot. To be honest, I think it is and maybe we should consider either playing at a colder time or even moving the tournament to a country that doesn't flog people, enslave Asian workers or make it illegal to engage in homosexual activities.

I think you'll find this has been under discussion by many, many people ever since the bid was awarded. I know there were threads about it on here within seconds of the announcement.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think you'll find this has been under discussion by many, many people ever since the bid was awarded. I know there were threads about it on here within seconds of the announcement.

I DO think he was being sarcastic as if the thought that it MIGHT be hot in Qatar had never occurred to FIFA when the bidding process took place.

PS - And I hope, winter or summer, that Israel qualify!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Sadly not. In fact, if anything they can do what they like. They don't even pay tax in Switzerland - they threaten to move their HQ if they are ever told they have to do so.

Gee whizz they sound worse than the mafia, at least they launder some money through legit companies and pay some tax.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I DO think he was being sarcastic as if the thought that it MIGHT be hot in Qatar had never occurred to FIFA when the bidding process took place.

Brovian is correct. I know it's the lowest form of wit, but I still love it. I did wrap it up into a little story of sorts to soften it up a bit. To summarise, my point is: Why is Blatter bringing this up NOW??

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
Brovian is correct. I know it's the lowest form of wit, but I still love it. I did wrap it up into a little story of sorts to soften it up a bit. To summarise, my point is: Why is Blatter bringing this up NOW??

Because if he'd brought it up during the bidding process they wouldn't have voted for Qatar?

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
THE summer? Our summer. It will be winter for those in the southern hemisphere. Are their leagues not put out by the World Cup during OUR summer?
Personally I don't give a stuff about the glory hunter clubs. If I had my way there'd be no suspension of ANY domestic football to make way for internationals. Cricket and rugby doesn't stop for internationals, they just accept that it's a risk you take when you sign an international player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here