Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Sentencing for 110mph wankpanzer driver. (Sorry can't find original thread)

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
This one is exactly what you might be after. The new electric Citroen Ami. Max speed 28mph :eek: That is dangerous at the other end of the scale imo

View attachment 161064

I believe there are golf carts that go faster than 28 mph. Why not buy a golf cart instead?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Driving is a really weird one under the law, instead of being guilty and getting a punishment you get warning after warning (points on license).

If someone sat down and rewrote the laws you’d think speeding would mean an actual punishment (lose license for x months/years).

You mean say getting clocked doing 78mph on the motorway whist going to and from work? No way should you lose your license for that.

Points on an occasion like that are more than enough punishment, some will even lose their jobs and have their insurance up that small infraction.

If everyone got banned for speeding just going over the speed limit the economy would come to a standstill with people not being able to drive to work etc. Not to mention people who don't live in a town centre having to get to appointments and get kids to school.

TBH I think fines would be better than points with the money going into fixing infrastructure and things like potholes that are a real danger, especially to bikers (both cycle and motor).

On the other hand c*nts driving like nutters doing 120mph, well over 40mph in a 30, driving on the phone or idiots in a school zone should have more serious punishments....... They're a totally different ball game to commuters getting caught doing 78mph on the motorway.

It's infuriating to see people still driving on their phones in this day and age too, that should be an instant ban or 9 points.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
You mean say getting clocked doing 78mph on the motorway whist going to and from work? No way should you lose your license for that.

Points on an occasion like that are more than enough punishment, some will even lose their jobs and have their insurance up that small infraction.

If everyone got banned for speeding just going over the speed limit the economy would come to a standstill with people not being able to drive to work etc. Not to mention people who don't live in a town centre having to get to appointments and get kids to school.

TBH I think fines would be better than points with the money going into fixing infrastructure and things like potholes that are a real danger, especially to bikers (both cycle and motor).

On the other hand c*nts driving like nutters doing 120mph, well over 40mph in a 30, driving on the phone or idiots in a school zone should have more serious punishments....... They're a totally different ball game to commuters getting caught doing 78mph on the motorway.

It's infuriating to see people still driving on their phones in this day and age too, that should be an instant ban or 9 points.
If the risk of speeding was losing your license for x months then maybe people would stop speeding?

Just because that is the way today doesn’t mean that is how it needs to be.

If you commit murder you either are or are not guilty, why with speeding are you guilty but it’s ok as it’s on the motorway and you are on your way home?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

Spot on.

In 35 years of working and commuting I've gone.

bicycle
scooter
car
scoter
bicycle
scooter
car
lots of car (20-25k a year)
then more local and home based so a mix of all 3
now, 90% cycle . . . . I've never felt less safe on the road, half of car drivers are incapable, selfish and ignorant.

IF people got stiffer points fines and more bans, they'd soon start lobbying for better public transport . . . And cycle routes

at the end of the day I suppose its edcation. Thick fat lazy perents aint gonna breed considerate children who walk/cycle everywhere like their great grandparents had to.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You want to make the roads safer then have speed limiters. Have periodic driving tests, say every 10 years. Death following reckless and dangerous driving should carry the same penalty as murder. More CCTV at traffic lights and automatically prosecute those jumping red lights. Also, black box in every car.

None of that is of course a vote winner so likely not to be introduced.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Spot on.

In 35 years of working and commuting I've gone.

bicycle
scooter
car
scoter
bicycle
scooter
car
lots of car (20-25k a year)
then more local and home based so a mix of all 3
now, 90% cycle . . . . I've never felt less safe on the road, half of car drivers are incapable, selfish and ignorant.

IF people got stiffer points fines and more bans, they'd soon start lobbying for better public transport . . . And cycle routes

at the end of the day I suppose its edcation. Thick fat lazy perents aint gonna breed considerate children who walk/cycle everywhere like their great grandparents had to.
As a car driver, I agree, selfish is about right, and it does seem to be getting worse………but there are also a lot of cyclists who don’t cover themselves in glory as well.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I haven't read motoring magazines for yonks (never was that avid a reader anyway) but I can well remember that the motoring journalists would give absolutely totally shit and rubbish reviews, mocking and pouring scorn on any new car, even modest family saloons, if they wouldn't considerably exceed the speed limit.
Why does any car sold in the UK need to have the capabiity to go over 70 m.p.h. anyway? The only problem would be, nobody would want to buy one!
They would if that was all that was available.

There is a nationwide view that a car 'accident' is an accident, even if laws were broken, which is why we have the sentencing we have. There is no national outcry, equivalent of Just Stop Oil, or let's get Brixit done (FFS), over ****s killing people in cars. That is a fact. We, ranting on this thread, are a minority. Sadly.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
As a car driver, I agree, selfish is about right, and it does seem to be getting worse………but there are also a lot of cyclists who don’t cover themselves in glory as well.
Yes but it is not likely you might wipe out a family in a car, or mash a dozen pedestrians, if you are a cyclist.

Whatabouting cyclists in a discussion about bad car drivers is like whatabouting American water pistol owners in a discussion about American gun control.

Sorry, but you're better than that.

Have another look at the video in the original post.

:thumbsup:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yes but it is not likely you might wipe out a family in a car, or mash a dozen pedestrians, if you are a cyclist.

Whatabouting cyclists in a discussion about bad car drivers is like whatabouting American water pistol owners in a discussion about American gun control.

Sorry, but you're better than that.

Have another look at the video in the original post.

:thumbsup:
Yes, you’re right and I agree - apologies.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You want to make the roads safer then have speed limiters. Have periodic driving tests, say every 10 years. Death following reckless and dangerous driving should carry the same penalty as murder. More CCTV at traffic lights and automatically prosecute those jumping red lights. Also, black box in every car.

None of that is of course a vote winner so likely not to be introduced.
Nah. Crank up the sentencing. These trustafarians driving steroid cars paid for by daddy will think again only when there is clear evidence of a whole lot of painful jail time awaiting if they f*** up. And i suggest that means speeding. 20%* over the limit, go directly to jail.

Beyond that, there is no way of stopping the 'haven't got a clue' from folly. Maybe jail the parents too. Any rich parent buying their feckless offspring a cock car deserves jail time if it goes tits up.

* On a motorway that means more than 84 MPH. Feels very fair to me. But in Faversham with its 20 MPH limit, that means 25 MPH. Well, welll, well. With some of the driving I still see in town....I say....Bring It On!

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Driving along Worthing seafront yesterday, doing 30mph, an electric bike ( obviously unregulated ) was going faster than us along the prom. If one child had the audacity to change direction when walking, he's dead if hit by this cyclist. Cyclists can be wankers too, @Stat Brother, but you carry on mate with your crusade that car drivers are all tossers. Oh, today near West Worthing Station, an area you know well, a cyclist came down Downview Road ( one way street ) the wrong way, and then zig zagged through the down coming train crossing barriers. Gotta love those law abiding cyclists.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A question.

If a middle aged housewife or a 70 year old killed someone on the roads, whilst 3x over the DD limit, with no previous convictions …. what sentence should they receive?

My instinct, but I‘m open to be corrected, is that other than @Stat Brother everyone would not enthusiastically want ‘a throw away the keys’ sentence. But people would if it was a 25 year old male.

Does society and possible the courts have double standards. Although there are sentencing guidelines, judges have a lot of power through mitigation after hearing hard luck and hardship tales.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Driving along Worthing seafront yesterday, doing 30mph, an electric bike ( obviously unregulated ) was going faster than us along the prom. If one child had the audacity to change direction when walking, he's dead if hit by this cyclist. Cyclists can be wankers too, @Stat Brother, but you carry on mate with your crusade that car drivers are all tossers. Oh, today near West Worthing Station, an area you know well, a cyclist came down Downview Road ( one way street ) the wrong way, and then zig zagged through the down coming train crossing barriers. Gotta love those law abiding cyclists.

I agree with you in that those devices should be seized by the police and crushed. They have the legal powers.

But let’s not conflate that or cyclists jumping red lights, with the vast majority of cyclists who quietly get on with their business. They don’t adversely affect you one iota.

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I read about this poor women yesterday. The killer will be allowed out in 5-6 years. And probably without an ounce of remorse, to lead a lucrative life because life seems to continually reward scum and scum behaviour these days instead of severely punishing.

Like others, I think the sentence of far too lenient. He won’t even get a lifetime diving ban, never mind life sentence. Meaning he can and quite probably will do it again as numerous others before him have proved time and time again.

Why do our law makers not do something about this type of menace that’s more in line with public opinion? Constantly puzzled by Justice system in this country. It’s completely at odds with what most people would like to see. Time after time, as these high profile cases always demonstrate.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can you imagine seeing a story about a pregnant women being killed along with the unborn baby as well as life changing injuries to another small child and think:-

'great this is the perfect opportunity to attack a complete stranger over an issue which they actually agree with me on'.

Loathsomely pathetic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here