Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Senior School Decisions, anyone unhappy?

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
My youngest son got confirmation he got our first choice school but there were lots of parents and kids in tears about not getting into the school of their choice this week.

Seemed to me to be more upsets than usual (he's my 4th child so been there done that a few times before).

Have most schools in B&Hove removed the sibling link already, as among other situations, we know of a couple of siblings who didn't get in at Blatch?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
We'll be in that position in about 3 yrs albeit in Burgess Hill where there are only two senior schools. Seems to me that the parents build the whole thing up and create the angst in their kids. Question is surely exactly how much difference is there between 1st and 2nd choice in respect of academic standing and how much difference can the parents make to the education.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
We'll be in that position in about 3 yrs albeit in Burgess Hill where there are only two senior schools. Seems to me that the parents build the whole thing up and create the angst in their kids. Question is surely exactly how much difference is there between 1st and 2nd choice in respect of academic standing and how much difference can the parents make to the education.

Yes, I don't really understand the angst about this - it's not as if Brighton has some outstanding schools or sink ones. Even the best ones aren't worldbeaters and the worst ones are all right. I can understand it in London were there some top-notch schools and some real horrors but B&H is really middle of the road.

I also thought the new catchment areas had eradicated much of this argument. We know that the senior school for our kids is Patcham so there's little dispute about this.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I also thought the new catchment areas had eradicated much of this argument. We know that the senior school for our kids is Patcham so there's little dispute about this.

Patcham - a school very much on the up, great Ofsted reports of late and are getting kids transferring from Newman, Varndean and Stringer. Has become more 'middle class' with kids from Withdean area now under their catchment area.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
My youngest son got confirmation he got our first choice school but there were lots of parents and kids in tears about not getting into the school of their choice this week.

Seemed to me to be more upsets than usual (he's my 4th child so been there done that a few times before).

are you related to ladygull...??? please post picture immediately...???

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes, I don't really understand the angst about this - it's not as if Brighton has some outstanding schools or sink ones. Even the best ones aren't worldbeaters and the worst ones are all right. I can understand it in London were there some top-notch schools and some real horrors but B&H is really middle of the road.

I can fully understand parents being gutted when their child gets the school with far lower results history & worse Ofsted rating.

But their views and the existence of the league table should be hidden from their 10 and 11 years old completely, so that they don't feel second class if they get the 'worse' school. Let them enjoy their childhood.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
But the point is that no state school in Brighton is really outstanding or shockingly bad. Judging by the results alone, Patcham is not in the top 5 state schools in Brighton, yet as Cheeky Monkey points out is not short of people wanting to go there.

It's not like a few years ago when the Whitehawk school kept changing its name but was still awful. Longhill is now the only school that looks under-achieving but I bet it's not the worst 100 in the country.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
But the point is that no state school in Brighton is really outstanding or shockingly bad. Judging by the results alone, Patcham is not in the top 5 state schools in Brighton, yet as Cheeky Monkey points out is not short of people wanting to go there.

It's not like a few years ago when the Whitehawk school kept changing its name but was still awful. Longhill is now the only school that looks under-achieving but I bet it's not the worst 100 in the country.

What are you making this judgement on ? OFSTED ? Results ? both of these can be manipulated. There are behaviour issues in most of our secondary schools, the kids that lose out are those that are easily distracted. The school they get in could make the difference between DEF grades and BCD grades. So it is something to be concerned about.

16 bit 44.1

May 17, 2011
Hove
My nephew goes to Hove Park. He's smart, doing really well and loves it. Parents often get themselves in a competitive tizz about these things. So much of school is what you make of it.

Amen to that!!!

My eldest daughter has just got into Hove Park and I am really pleased (and so is she). It was our second choice but I actually preferred it to Blatch, but decided to play a "percentage" game knowing that if we put Blatch down as a second choice after Hove Park and didnt get Hove Park, the odds of getting Blatch as a second choice were slim.

However it does infuriate me that that the yummy mummy brigade appear to have this obsession with Blatchington Mill (I don't doubt that is a good school) and that they pass this on to their children who have subsequently been telling my daughter that she's going to a "bad" school. She has a strong mind fortunately but some people...... talk about getting worked up!

Get a bloody grip and be grateful for the excellent schooling choices we have in this area!

We saw three schools - all of them excellent. Schools even have recording studios now!!!

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

No outstanding...Apart from the best school in the UK last year?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
At least you have a choice - Bexhill has one Catholic School (100 yards from my house) or one other (two miles away) but because the catholic school is allowed to ship pupils in from Eastbourne, Hastings and further afield they just cherry pick the brightest pupils to keep their results up.

Saying that I'm glad my daughter didn't get into the catholic school, very little is taught their in life skills and pupils come out not having a clue about life (other than what is taught by the priests).

Mungo_Jerry

Sep 27, 2011
I went to Blatch 20 years ago and had a good year group but the years above and below me were like f***ing gladiator academies. Back then Hove Park was supposed to be better and Newman better still. What I'm saying is the class/year/teacher they get makes more difference than the school IMO and over time theyre all much of a muchness.

As for the yummy mummy brigade I totally agree with earlier comment - if it means that much to you then sell your 4x4 and detached house you bought in hove just to get into a "better" school and send them private.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
No outstanding...Apart from the best school in the UK last year?

Us mere mortals can't afford Brighton College though.

Anyway you don't need a posh school; my eldest son is at Oxford having just gone through one of our local good schools. As others have said, school is what you make it and if a student makes the best of their strengths - academic or sport/music - you can't ask for more.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

110%. its a london obsession that has infected brighton, pointlessly. its really not healthy.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
A child with the correct support from home will do well in any of our citys secondary schools. As a City we are lucky that we have some very good KS3 and KS4 schools.

I agree with a previous post and am prepared to state the following:

Blatch Mill is NOT head and shoulders above Hove Park. HP has a new head that is proving very effective!!!

I myself was edukated at Hove Park.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
We are sweating on Balfour or Stamford!

Jesus!! I always thought that the way you posted your Thatch loving drivel you were about 70 yrs old!

or are you perhaps sweating on the outcome for your grandchildren?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here