Selhurst Park - Worst ground in Prem (since 93) history?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

bucky777

May 20, 2013
Why do we have a pop at Palace fans about Selhurst? Yes its a sh*thole, yes its old, but its not the fans fault. Far be it from me to stick up for that lot, but I'm sure they would prefer to be in their own new stadium. The pics of the stadium they want to build look fantastic. The Amex is probably the best ground in the championship, but we didn't build it, in the same way that Selhurst is among the worst in the prem, and their fans can't help that. Just seems a stupid stick to beat them with imho.

Desperation from the usual obsessed losers on here.

Embarrassed by our fans sometimes. Wish they would go off and support Arsenal in their lovely new 60k stadium.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Don't push your luck sonny. The only smells in there from a bygone age emenate from the armpits and under-utilised nether regions of the frightful nerds who sit in it.

Seriously, if that stand got the same treatment as the Leitch one at Fulham, it could be a real asset to the place for years yet. As it is, it looks a bit sh1t these days.

Nice comeback !
With some new red and blue cladding, it will look pretty impressive.
I can just see Abramovich shifting uncomfortably in his faux leather seat, surrounded by the Russian mafia ( alledgedly)

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I think old grounds do have character and in many respects they are better than the Ricoh's, Pride Park and Walkers Stadium etc.......

But really Palace fans, putting the rivalry to one side, surely you cannot deny that The Amex is one of the best grounds in the country from a viewing and acoustic perspective. Even the pies have won awards. There really is not a bad view in the ground, more that can be said for the away fans visiting Newcastle next year.

I really do put The Amex on par with The Emirates and it certainly has more leg room than Stamford Bridge.

Incidentally, Swindon, Bradford and Watford are worse than Selhurst IMO.
Its only the character that's keeping Selhurst up.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Lovely old stand, designed by Archibald Leitch no less.
Full of character and charm, and still has the original timber ! built to last these old stands.
I'm sure the visiting millionaire owners visiting next season will be impressed to be sitting in such an historic stand.
Did he have an agricultural background?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Seriously, if that stand got the same treatment as the Leitch one at Fulham, it could be a real asset to the place for years yet. As it is, it looks a bit sh1t these days.

The Stevenage Road stand at Fulham is listed, so they are forced to look after it, and they've done a good job. the old stand at Selhurst has had so many additions that it's hard to see what's original and what isn't.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Portsmouth & Burnley are definitely worse.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Nice comeback !
With some new red and blue cladding, it will look pretty impressive.
I can just see Abramovich shifting uncomfortably in his faux leather seat, surrounded by the Russian mafia ( alledgedly)
Faux leather seats ? I thought you were getting the red and blue plastic bucket seats that McDonalds are getting rid of as they refurb their franchises.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Why do we have a pop at Palace fans about Selhurst? Yes its a sh*thole, yes its old, but its not the fans fault. Far be it from me to stick up for that lot, but I'm sure they would prefer to be in their own new stadium. The pics of the stadium they want to build look fantastic. The Amex is probably the best ground in the championship, but we didn't build it, in the same way that Selhurst is among the worst in the prem, and their fans can't help that. Just seems a stupid stick to beat them with imho.

Post of the day :clap:

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Faux leather seats ? I thought you were getting the red and blue plastic bucket seats that McDonalds are getting rid of as they refurb their franchises.

Now we're Premier league Soggy, we ain't cutting corners, it's faux all the way .

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
In all seriousness, you've got to spend a fair chunk of that money on ground improvements. Make the most of it while you have it and invest in the future because it is a seriously run down khazi. You've got no chance of relocating to build a new one. Before any more of you mention Withdean, just remember how we ended up there. By living within our means. Don't spunk it all on players and contracts CPFC. 3 x admin makes you worse than Pompey.

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
Although of all the grounds mentioned, the away end at Selhurst is the only one where I feared for my safety due to the crush, the lack of circulation space, the metal spikes poking out where seats used to be and the objects flying around

The other grounds mentioned are poor but not dangerous by comparison

COYP

Oct 1, 2012
But really Palace fans, putting the rivalry to one side, surely you cannot deny that The Amex is one of the best grounds in the country from a viewing and acoustic perspective. Even the pies have won awards. There really is not a bad view in the ground, more that can be said for the away fans visiting Newcastle next year.

The real shame is that you're right The Amex is a good stadium and its got great acoustics just a shame we were never able to hear you there except for the odd Albion chant that went round the ground.
That's based on having gone to the 3-1 win, the 3-0 loss and the 2-0 win. So having heard the Albion Chant and being impressed with it the acoustics can't explain your silence?

The real shame is that you're right The Amex is a good stadium and its got great acoustics just a shame we were never able to hear you there except for the odd Albion chant that went round the ground.
That's based on having gone to the 3-1 win, the 3-0 loss and the 2-0 win. So having heard the Albion Chant and being impressed with it the acoustics can't explain your silence?

Blimey - so some Palace actually went to the St Patrick Days Massacre match? Funny as they were not heard that day - and I thought you said you always vocalise your support when losing , you must have been lying or was it the rain ? :whistle:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports