Selhurst Park - Worst ground in Prem (since 93) history?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Its just a big blue cow shed, of course its the worst.

Selhurst%2BPark%2B7.jpg

Well if it's location then try looking at Spurs or West Ham in London or about 10 other teams up north. Maybe the Major hasn't attended many grounds?

So you consider White Hart Lane & Upton Park to be on a par with Selhurst Park ? - and you call us delusional :rotlf:

You daft tw@t - I said if you are judging on ground and location combined then Selhurst most be the worst in the top two leagues - name me one other Club that has a ground and surrounding location that is more of a shithole than Palace. Can't be done - end of.

Infact - worse ground and worse location is the only football league you'll top.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Its just a big blue cow shed, of course its the worst.

Selhurst%2BPark%2B7.jpg

Lovely old stand, designed by Archibald Leitch no less.
Full of character and charm, and still has the original timber ! built to last these old stands.
I'm sure the visiting millionaire owners visiting next season will be impressed to be sitting in such an historic stand.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Why do we have a pop at Palace fans about Selhurst? Yes its a sh*thole, yes its old, but its not the fans fault. Far be it from me to stick up for that lot, but I'm sure they would prefer to be in their own new stadium. The pics of the stadium they want to build look fantastic. The Amex is probably the best ground in the championship, but we didn't build it, in the same way that Selhurst is among the worst in the prem, and their fans can't help that. Just seems a stupid stick to beat them with imho.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Full of character and charm, and still has the original timber ! built to last these old stands.
I'm sure the visiting millionaire owners visiting next season will be impressed to be sitting in such an historic stand.

And as a nice touch we are getting leather effect cushions installed ( with the new badge on them )so they can sit nice & comfortable while they admire the architecture

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Has Burnden Park been mentioned ???
Turf Moor is way better than Smellhurst - you must be a complete div if you think otherwise.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Surprised so many are slagging off Turf Moor, which is one of my favourite grounds. Particularly as there's been no mention of Oakwell or Ewood Park (Selhurst North).

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Coincidently, I found this in 90 Minutes magazine (April 1993) this morning:

90minutes.jpg

While the Goldstone at the time was no super-stadium, with its bits of metal sticking out, :bowdown: Philip Close, whoever you are!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Fratton Park. Not even close.

While some old grounds, especially those with Leitch stands, such as Fulham and Everton, have character, others are just plain creaky and inconvenient.

From my selfish pov as a memeber of the media, Selhurst has the worst facilities in the current Premier League, but nottarF kraP was worse still. Unbelievably cramped and filthy, and vertically above the gents, which made it almost unbearable in warm weather.

The post-match press conferences used to take place in the concourse outside said latrine, and I can still remember Arsene Wenger's nose visibly wrinkling ....

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

OK - as a big Leitch fan, I'll give you that. I for one am glad that old stand survives. Not many of his do.

It's the horrible, ugly, dangerous shed opposite it that's a disaster waiting to happen.

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
So you consider White Hart Lane & Upton Park to be on a par with Selhurst Park ? - and you call us delusional :rotlf:

You daft tw@t - I said if you are judging on ground and location combined then Selhurst most be the worst in the top two leagues - name me one other Club that has a ground and surrounding location that is more of a shithole than Palace. Can't be done - end of.

Infact - worse ground and worse location is the only football league you'll top.

Point taken regarding combination of location and ground. Pompey then, You daft tit.

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
I love the old grounds personally see nothing wrong with Selhurst, Fratton etc things have moved on I know but these old grounds are history. Youngsters today, I don't know lol

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think old grounds do have character and in many respects they are better than the Ricoh's, Pride Park and Walkers Stadium etc.......

But really Palace fans, putting the rivalry to one side, surely you cannot deny that The Amex is one of the best grounds in the country from a viewing and acoustic perspective. Even the pies have won awards. There really is not a bad view in the ground, more that can be said for the away fans visiting Newcastle next year.

I really do put The Amex on par with The Emirates and it certainly has more leg room than Stamford Bridge.

Incidentally, Swindon, Bradford and Watford are worse than Selhurst IMO.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
OK - as a big Leitch fan, I'll give you that. I for one am glad that old stand survives. Not many of his do.

It's the horrible, ugly, dangerous shed opposite it that's a disaster waiting to happen.

Still a few more years left in the old girl.
Sitting in there takes you on a trip down memory lane.
You can imagine the smells from a by gone age, the Bovril and cigar smoke, westlers hamburgers with tinned onions,and monkey nuts.
Enduring image isn't it ?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Selhurst is proper poor, or at least the away end is.

The bar in that stand is abysmal and there is just not enough room to even queue for it.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Selhurst is proper poor, or at least the away end is.

The bar in that stand is abysmal and there is just not enough room to even queue for it.

The facilities are poor and cramped because they were originally built for the old seating at the back ( the front half was terracing)
Meant to be improving facilities for the big boys next season, even putting Andrex triple ply in the toilets.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Still a few more years left in the old girl.
Sitting in there takes you on a trip down memory lane.
You can imagine the smells from a by gone age, the Bovril and cigar smoke, westlers hamburgers with tinned onions,and monkey nuts.
Enduring image isn't it ?

Don't push your luck sonny. The only smells in there from a bygone age emenate from the armpits and under-utilised nether regions of the frightful nerds who sit in it.

Seriously, if that stand got the same treatment as the Leitch one at Fulham, it could be a real asset to the place for years yet. As it is, it looks a bit sh1t these days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports