Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Selhurst Park - Worst ground in Prem (since 93) history?

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
The early work seems to be mainly around cabling, Lots of different regs for TV cameras and their positions in the Prem.

Yep from this report about £500k on cabling alone.

Some of the nuances of this are the likes of television. Such is the phenomenal interest that the Premier League garners as the most watched League in the world that clubs have been ordered to spend £500,000 on the cables needed for the latest HD/3D coverage. £1 million will need to be spent on interview rooms for the world's mass media to broadcast from and even the likes of the pitch surface at Selhurst Park would need to be expanded.

eaglejez

Apr 23, 2004
Wonky stands do look funny don't they .

so in summary only the Emirates. Old Trafford and perhaps the Etihad and White Hart Lane compare with The Amex (oh, ok perhaps Stamford Bridge). Does anyone else think its an injustice that Brighton aren't in The Premiership ? Something should surely be arranged. Would put 99% of the Football World's minds at rest. :smile:

we-8-brighton

Feb 5, 2011
so in summary only the Emirates. Old Trafford and perhaps the Etihad and White Hart Lane compare with The Amex (oh, ok perhaps Stamford Bridge). Does anyone else think its an injustice that Brighton aren't in The Premiership ? Something should surely be arranged. Would put 99% of the Football World's minds at rest. :smile:

Only there own fans.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
By modern standards and for PL requirements it is now a very poor and antiquated stadium, no doubt about that.

But this is the chance Palace have earned themselves by going up, that they maybe couldn't have done if they had stayed down.

Don't go nuts on players, put money aside for the stadium (which will be an asset for all time) and probably still be in decent financial shape even if they come straight down.

It is a great opportunity to do something that has needed doing for years, and they would be foolish not to take it.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Yep from this report about £500k on cabling alone.

Some of the nuances of this are the likes of television. Such is the phenomenal interest that the Premier League garners as the most watched League in the world that clubs have been ordered to spend £500,000 on the cables needed for the latest HD/3D coverage. £1 million will need to be spent on interview rooms for the world's mass media to broadcast from and even the likes of the pitch surface at Selhurst Park would need to be expanded.

It seems crazy to me that there would be such different requirements from the Football league to the Premier League. The last point about the pitch size especially. Shouldn't we all be playing the same game?

I am gutted to see Palace go up, but if they weren't a rival I would be happy for them to be able to invest this money in their stadium. As previously stated, I would love to be there no matter where we played

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
By modern standards and for PL requirements it is now a very poor and antiquated stadium, no doubt about that.

But this is the chance Palace have earned themselves by going up, that they maybe couldn't have done if they had stayed down.

Don't go nuts on players, put money aside for the stadium (which will be an asset for all time) and probably still be in decent financial shape even if they come straight down.

It is a great opportunity to do something that has needed doing for years, and they would be foolish not to take it.

It will be hard for them to try and spread this money around without over stretching themselves. Current players are all going to want increases, new players coming in on high transfer, signing on fees and wages at the same time trying to bring Selhurst up to and acceptable standard. Hull and Cardiff do not have that millstone around their necks and Cardiff definitely have a better squad. But yes a big chance for them to really get on their feet.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I actually love all these old fashioned grounds. They've got soul.

Not for me, too many of these grounds and Palace is no different, spending the whole game dodging from one side of an upright/pylon to really enjoy a game.
Give me the all round vision of the modern stadium for me.

dandy

Jan 23, 2012
Perhaps we will have an opportunity to enter the competition some day, yet another Palace thread, YAWN

Vegas78

Dec 4, 2012
South London
I know the ground is a bit of a dump, and where it is due ( even for you lot ) I am man enough to admit that I was truly impressed by the Amex, apart from the poor transport.
I really, really love our ground though, it still has character which is sadly missing from a few of these new stadiums.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
To be honest I should imagine a fair few premier league fans will be quite looking forward to visiting Selhurst. It's old, centrally located, easy to get to and has a ramshackle charm that the league is losing in the modern age.

It doesn't have fancy facilities but it oozes quaintness and personality, as much as we'd like to pretend it doesn't.

On a side note I don't think Loftus Road is a bad ground at all. Small and cramped, yes, but it's packed full of atmosphere and in an excellent location

I actually love all these old fashioned grounds. They've got soul.

Amen wsupp. Hillsborough, Goodison Park, Villa Park (sort of), St James' park (again, sort of but location is class) Craven Cottage, Loftus Road, Fratton Park etc - these are proper old fashioned football grounds. Yes the identikit bowls are lovely for the new supporters of the great game of football, but there's something real about a proper old ground. Maybe it's just nostalgia on my part, but when you see the likes of the Stadium of light, Walkers bowl, Pride Park, Riverside etc they are pretty much the same ground in different colours and in different places (though usually near an out-of-town retail park).

Psalm 56:5

Banned
May 19, 2013
Amen wsupp. Hillsborough, Goodison Park, Villa Park (sort of), St James' park (again, sort of but location is class) Craven Cottage, Loftus Road, Fratton Park etc - these are proper old fashioned football grounds. Yes the identikit bowls are lovely for the new supporters of the great game of football, but there's something real about a proper old ground. Maybe it's just nostalgia on my part, but when you see the likes of the Stadium of light, Walkers bowl, Pride Park, Riverside etc they are pretty much the same ground in different colours and in different places (though usually near an out-of-town retail park).

Out of curiosity, when did Brighton last play at Goodison? Agree with you though, class ground!

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
QPR isnt that great either?

Nothing wrong with Loftus road - used to go there when I lived in London. One of my favourite grounds - although I admit the away end is not so good!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here