Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Self employed to receive 80% of income from the Gov’t too

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

Sorry I should have said something about this link. Everyone who is self employed or small Ltd Co. should watch it.

The advice is from the FT and it echoes exactly what I, Weststander and all other people in the profession have been saying.

Worth half an hour out of your day to get some facts rather than the bullshit from Gollum and his pals on the news briefings.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Looks like things are starting to move ..today I received an email from HMRC as part of the process

Nothing here

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Nothing here.

My account sent me an email at the beginning of April about this, he said in the message.

Re: The self employed income support scheme:-
All the self-employed income support scheme GOV.UK links in my previous email, but please note the following regarding scammers.

How will the grant be delivered?

HMRC will contact those taxpayers who are eligible for this grant and will invite them to apply for the payment online. It is not clear if this contact will be made by letter, but it certainly won't be by email or text message.

HMRC warns taxpayers not to be taken in by scammers who email,text, or call, offering money from HMRC then ask for the business bank details to be confirmed. Warn clients not to click on a link in an email, or reply to a text, purporting to be from HMRC.

Not sure if anyone else has heard anything.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Nothing here.

My account sent me an email at the beginning of April about this, he said in the message.

Re: The self employed income support scheme:-
All the self-employed income support scheme GOV.UK links in my previous email, but please note the following regarding scammers.

How will the grant be delivered?

HMRC will contact those taxpayers who are eligible for this grant and will invite them to apply for the payment online. It is not clear if this contact will be made by letter, but it certainly won't be by email or text message.

HMRC warns taxpayers not to be taken in by scammers who email,text, or call, offering money from HMRC then ask for the business bank details to be confirmed. Warn clients not to click on a link in an email, or reply to a text, purporting to be from HMRC.

Not sure if anyone else has heard anything.

This is what i received

Dear customer,

The Chancellor, Rishi Sunak, announced a new scheme at the end of March to support self-employed people impacted by coronavirus. It’s about to launch ahead of schedule and we’re writing to you because you might be eligible to make a claim under the scheme.

The Self-Employment Income Support Scheme provides a taxable grant of 80% of average monthly trading profits, paid in a single instalment of up to a total of £7,500.

This email sets out how to check your eligibility and how to make a claim.

How to check if you are eligible

Search GOV*.UK for 'Self-Employment Income Support Scheme' from Monday 4** May.

To complete this eligibility check, you’ll need to have your:

National Insurance number – if you don’t know this, go to the HMRC app, your online tax account or ask your tax agent (if you have one).
Self Assessment Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number – you can find this on your self assessment papers or from your agent.
If we confirm you are eligible, you’ll then need your: Government Gateway user ID and password – if you don’t have an account, or have forgotten your details, follow the instructions on GOV*.UK by searching for the 'Self-Employment Income Support Scheme'. Please check your contact details are correct in your Government Gateway account.

You cannot access the financial support yet. We’ll send you another email soon to tell you when the claim system is available for you to use. We expect this to be between 13 and 18** May.

How to make a claim

You’ll need to make the claim yourself, although you can seek advice from an agent if you use one.

Once we have contacted you with your claim date, please follow these simple steps to make your claim:

All you will need are your Government Gateway user ID and password, bank account number and sort code.
We will calculate the income support you’re entitled to, based on the information you have submitted in your previous tax returns.
After we’ve received your claim and verified it, we’ll pay the money directly into your bank account within six working days.
Please only call us if you cannot find the support you need on GOV*.UK or our webchat service – this will leave our lines open for those who need our help most.

A word about scams

We are aware of an increase in scam emails, calls and texts. If someone gets in touch claiming to be from HMRC, saying that financial help can be claimed or that a tax refund is owed, and asks you to click on a link or to give information such as your name, credit card or bank details, please do not respond. You can forward suspicious emails claiming to be from HMRC to phishing@hmrc.gov.uk and texts to 60599.

I wish you all the best at this challenging time.

Yours sincerely

jharra
Jim Harra

Chief Executive and Permanent Secretary – HMRC

To find out all of the ways you can contact us and our opening times go to

GOV.UK – contact HMRC

youtubetwittervisit gov dot u kshareHMRC Forum
Stay safe online

If you think that an email is suspicious please report it to phishing@hmrc.gov.uk. For more information please visit our security pages at GOV.UK and search 'Avoid and report internet scams and phishing'.

Subscriber Preferences | Contact Us | Help | Unsubscribe

Please feel free to use this information and pass it on.

Support

For more information and support from HMRC please visit our help and support pages.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
So you're going to need your own Gateway ID to claim rather than have your agent do it for you?

That's only if you want to check whether you qualify or not.

The next correspondence issued will give the Directive on how to claim.

If you don't have your own Government Gateway already Registered then your Accountant or acting Agent can check for you.

When the second contact comes from HMRC then you need to make the claim yourselves.

I don't know for sure but GDPR Regulations might bar Accountants from making claims on behalf of clients but that is not 100% certain at the moment. No one knows this for sure.

However I was discussing with a Grade 6 Inspector who said he didn't think Agents could make the claims without a Special One off Authority from clients although he conceded he hadn't actually been involved in the implementation as he works more on Legal Advisory Issues at HMRC.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The payroll Job Retention Scheme went surprisingly well, a client received a large credit straight into their bank account a few days after I made the claim.
Some have, some haven't. I've got five who still haven't received a bean and HMRC have been extremely unhelpful.

E.g. A client who does his own payroll. Called them to ask for the accounts office reference. They said they couldn't give it to him for security reasons.

I told him to call back and hopefully not get a moron, seeing as he's the director, shareholder, employer and he's the only employee. Half an hour later they gave him the reference.

His application then didn't work because apparently he wasn't on the payroll and hadn't been ever. The company payroll system has been set up correctly and running for 6 years.

After another couple of goes the website eventually accepted the application.... No money yet obviously.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
A genuine question, why would HMRC treat this differently to payroll JRS claims, where agents were permitted as a matter of course to make the claims?

I don't think HMRC themselves would stop Agents doing it but GDPR isn't an HMRC Legislation.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Some have, some haven't. I've got five who still haven't received a bean and HMRC have been extremely unhelpful.

E.g. A client who does his own payroll. Called them to ask for the accounts office reference. They said they couldn't give it to him for security reasons.

I told him to call back and hopefully not get a moron, seeing as he's the director, shareholder, employer and he's the only employee. Half an hour later they gave him the reference.

His application then didn't work because apparently he wasn't on the payroll and hadn't been ever. The company payroll system has been set up correctly and running for 6 years.

After another couple of goes the website eventually accepted the application.... No money yet obviously.

Sorry, for your clients, to hear that at a critical time for them.

As another funny HMRC aside, did you ever encounter their voice recognition new security protocol on calls to HMRC? It was about 2018. I think it was for Self Assessment. HMRC said they brought it because agents without formal authority were acting for clients and calling in with queries pretending to be the taxpayer.

It went wrong immediately. A friend/client called them and correctly recorded his voice. Then calling another time the system didn’t recognises his voice, and that happened every time. He was in a catch-22 where he couldn’t speak to human being to fix the voice error or anything else.

Soon after it was quietly abandoned as they broke the law, the media found out:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48150575

Goodness the money wasted.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
GDPR might restrict Agents from making the claims I have heard
That would be ridiculous. As an agent I have full access to all my client's tax information. Can speak to HMRC about it in detail, can submit any information and also adjust it after the fact.

Plus if my client is due a tax refund, with their permission I could get it paid to me (I don't btw as I don't want the complications of a client account).

GDPR? I already know more about my clients information than they do. I regularly get "could you send me my NI number" type messages.

It would be pure madness for all self employed people who use an accountant to have to then set up their own government gateway accounts and claim that way. That's millions of people.

And especially when they'd then have to contact their agent for the information to submit anyway.

You're probably right but I really hope you're wrong as that's just crackers!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Thanks. We’ll soon find out.

Loads of Accountancy Firms will possibly do it on behalf of clients.

However without a separate Engagement to make the claim on behalf of a client in writing they could be breaching GDPR Legislation. Although I doubt that many will concern themselves with such a small breach if it gets their clients a satisfactory outcome.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here