Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] 'Self-driving' cars to be allowed on UK roads this year

BiffyBoy100

Apr 20, 2020
As a fellow Tesla driver, I'd seriously worry about not having my hands close to the wheel. I still find the technology really buggy.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Any teething problems were ironed out a decade ago. The technology is ready and has been for some time now.

It won't be a disaster, it will be the opposite. It will be widely adopted in new vehicles and so successful that we will likely see fully automated vehicles become common place within 10 years.

And automated vehicles don't use their mobile phones on the fast lane of the M23 like some absolute **** was doing the other day.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
If I didn't want to drive I'd use public transport or a taxi. What is the point in having a car you don't drive?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If I didn't want to drive I'd use public transport or a taxi. What is the point in having a car you don't drive?

So you can check emails or watch a movie.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Out of interest, on what type of road are you referring to?

Motorway or dual carriageway where you get impatient buggers trying to get ahead by cutting in and out of lanes, filling the safety gap left by more sensible drivers. Often without any indication, see a gap go for it.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Technology aside, can you see the insurance industry giving up approx £15 Billion of business pa without a fight ?

Because if the car is driving, there is no longer any need to insure the driver and the car manufacturer would be liable for any accident ???

But carry on

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
It won’t be completely safe until ALL cars are self driving.
My lads are 12 and 10, they are going to have a very different experience of learning to drive than their 50 yo dad!! On one hand I think it will be more boring than mine but on the other safer.

My only concern on self driving cars is that physics is physics, if an object appears in front of a car suddenly and inside the braking the distance then no amount of tech is going to stop the accident that follows, however people are dumb and lazy and will expect exactly that.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

for your chauffeur to drive.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
As a fellow Tesla driver, I'd seriously worry about not having my hands close to the wheel. I still find the technology really buggy.

Mine seems to be more buggy after recent updates for some reason!

This is the next stage for the technology, reducing errors to a point where they can satisfy the regulators that it's safe enough.

To do this I think the technology would need to be significantly safer than a human driver and significantly less error prone than it currently is.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
especially those with insider governmental connections!

this all stinks of backhanders to me.

Sorry, but that’s a bit silly. The UK is a part of a global shift to self driving cars. The technology has been developing for a number of years and is no secret. Basically, anybody has had the opportunity to invest in the future of cars whether it be self driving, electric or whatever.
Here’s an article anybody can read on the subject;

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stephe...f-driving-cars-go-mainstream/?sh=795c4f7d4e24

This is the future and the agenda isn’t being set by the Tories. They just happen to be the ones in Government.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Mine seems to be more buggy after recent updates for some reason!

This is the next stage for the technology, reducing errors to a point where they can satisfy the regulators that it's safe enough.

To do this I think the technology would need to be significantly safer than a human driver and significantly less error prone than it currently is.

Tesla and SpaceX have the same founder but need to follow very different development paths!

https://insideevs.com/news/503671/waymo-ceos-tesla-harm-avs/

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I have that “ out of lane” thing on my car and it scares the hell out of you if the steering wheel starts to wobble!

Another idiosyncrasy of it is when driving along Dyke Road to the Dyke where there is no centre lane markings somethimes it thinks I am out of lane and I have to grip tight to stop it moving to the left!

I even get anxious when going in the Heathrow business parking pod which drives without anyone. Especially where it hammers along coming to the platform

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Saw a good piece on TV in the States about the social and economic implications of self driving vehicles. It won't just be cars, it won't be long before trucks and agricultural vehicles will be added to the list with a knock on effect on all the truck drivers and agricultural workers. At one time those people would have considered themselves immune to the fall out from automation and robotics. That may not be the case in the not too distant future

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Saw a good piece on TV in the States about the social and economic implications of self driving vehicles. It won't just be cars, it won't be long before trucks and agricultural vehicles will be added to the list with a knock on effect on all the truck drivers and agricultural workers. At one time those people would have considered themselves immune to the fall out from automation and robotics. That may not be the case in the not too distant future

such visions overlook the secondary role played by drivers, to deal with sites, assist load/unloading.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have that “ out of lane” thing on my car and it scares the hell out of you if the steering wheel starts to wobble!

Another idiosyncrasy of it is when driving along Dyke Road to the Dyke where there is no centre lane markings somethimes it thinks I am out of lane and I have to grip tight to stop it moving to the left!

I even get anxious when going in the Heathrow business parking pod which drives without anyone. Especially where it hammers along coming to the platform

You do know that you can turn these things off don’t you? :lolol:

I have turned everything off except forward collision and blind spot monitor. The only thing I absolutely love with all this modern technology is the blind spot monitor which is a yellow triangle that lights up in the wing mirror if a car is just behind or alongside. Apparently it will yank the wheel back if you try to change lane, fortunately I haven’t done that yet but comforting to know. I have always been nervous about the blind spot and have developed habitual glancing over my shoulder before changing lane.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here