Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Self assessment tax return fine !

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
[/B]

Yeaaah.......might have to try to calm it down with them in the future. I do believe I called them a "bunch of money grabbing, thieving fuckwits" last time I spoke to them. I'd had a bad day and calling about a (then) £800 tax bill just lit the touchpaper. Funnily enough, I'm usually the calm collected one, and I do a similar job to them for a utility company. To be fair, I did ring and apologise later on. I know I didn't exactly help myself there, before anyone says!!!

You're not really going about this the correct way are you? :lol:

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
To be fair this situation is completely out of order.

Before 2011 return, the fine for late filing was reduced to what the outstanding liability was so mistakes were never very painful for the taxpayer.

They have removed this now so any penalties stand and they introduced a whole raft of ridiculous penalties. They sneaked this in and it wasn't widely reported. There is going to be so much grief from this.

I pity the poor OAPs who are going to caught with £1200 penalties. Gonna be difficult to pay that off on your pension.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
To be fair this situation is completely out of order.

Before 2011 return, the fine for late filing was reduced to what the outstanding liability was so mistakes were never very painful for the taxpayer.

They have removed this now so any penalties stand and they introduced a whole raft of ridiculous penalties. They sneaked this in and it wasn't widely reported. There is going to be so much grief from this.

I pity the poor OAPs who are going to caught with £1200 penalties. Gonna be difficult to pay that off on your pension.

You get 10 months to complete a rather simple form where you declare any income. I am really struggling to see where the issue is even with OAPs. If a pensioner has a single pension then the form will be a doddle. If they have multiple/complex income streams then maybe a family member or friend or even an accountant will be needed but you have to declare all your income. Sometimes you have to take responsibility and this is one of the times. This thread is about late filing and not about mistakes.

Last edited:

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
You get 10 months to complete a rather simple form where you declare any income. I am really struggling to see where the issue is even with OAPs. If a pensioner has a single pension then the form will be a doddle. If they have multiple/complex income streams then maybe a family member or friend or even an accountant will be needed but you have to declare all your income. Sometimes you have to take responsibility and this is one of the times. This thread is about late filing and not about mistakes.

Because people have got used to a tax regime without huge penalties for not completing a form. Also in the past if it was a mistake then it could be corrected without being financially shafted. It's gonna be a big shock to some that our Treasury have suddenly become the Gestapo!

The biggest bugbear for me is that HM Revenue and Customs are constantly making mistakes and always withholding money they owe you but are so strict the other way around.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
In their (HMRC's) defense (& not sure why I should defend them), they have millions of 'customers' and most of the information they hold has to come from those customers and the only way to process that info is from standard forms (returns).

I know somebody who used to work there and people would say that they never received letters because they went to old adresses and HMRC should have known because the customer changed their address on their TV licence!

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
In their (HMRC's) defense (& not sure why I should defend them), they have millions of 'customers' and most of the information they hold has to come from those customers and the only way to process that info is from standard forms (returns).

I know somebody who used to work there and people would say that they never received letters because they went to old adresses and HMRC should have known because the customer changed their address on their TV licence!

However to jump from a maximum penalty of £100 per 6 months (in most cases reduced to nil as the vast majority of these returns show no tax liability) to £1200 which cannot be reduced on appeal is way over the top.

The penalty system was fast becoming an addition tax, now its just daylight robbery.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I too was the lucky recipient of a £1200 fine.

I filled in the "Appeal" section on the back of the letter, sent it back and prepared for trench warfare with HMRC.

Got home this evening to find the brown envelope of doom on the doormat. Upon opening it, imagine my surprise and delight when it said that the further to my appeal, all penalties and fines were waived and that I would no longer be required to file a SA tax return.

Today is Good Friday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here