Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sectarian bigotry.....

Is still thriving North of the border it would seem. According to the Torygraph, a group of Rangers and Celtic fans arranged an old boys fixture in aid of charity. What better way of raising a cash for good causes and at the same time, helping bridge the sectarian divide? Not quite! A great many Celtic fans were up in arms when they heard Mo Johnston would be partaking in the match and threatened to boycott the game. Johnston as many will remember was the first catholic to cross the religous divide and play for Rangers. As a result, Johnston has decided miss the game and remain in the US where he is currently coaching. A very sad day. The bigots have won the day it would seem.....

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think it's a shame. He could've switched sides at half time. :jester:

And anyway, it's a shit idea - you can't go round setting up Old Firm derbies without checking on the availability of Hugh Dallas FIRST.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Speaking of sectarian bigotry, there's rather a good quote floating round today that might be in the papers tomorrow.

Reading goalkeeper Marcus Hahnemann, talking about how Pardew was not liked at the club even before his acrimonious move to West Ham, observed: "Reading against West Ham, it's like Rangers v Celtic now."

I don't think it is, Marcus.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Tooting Gull said:
Speaking of sectarian bigotry, there's rather a good quote floating round today that might be in the papers tomorrow.

Reading goalkeeper Marcus Hahnemann, talking about how Pardew was not liked at the club even before his acrimonious move to West Ham, observed: "Reading against West Ham, it's like Rangers v Celtic now."

I don't think it is, Marcus.
:D

Reading appear to be such a deluded, self important little club don't they. Bless.

I haven't seen anything that comically deluded since I visited an American "soccer" message board and stumbled on the following poll:

Which is the biggest rivalry in international soccer:
Brazil v Argentina
England v Scotland
Holland v Germany
USA v Mexico

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:
Apropos the McCartney family ...

I go with Private Eye's verdict:-

The IRA have shot themselves in the knee.

:)

The Nolans: The Paramilitary Years

37622.jpg

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Simster said:
:D

Reading appear to be such a deluded, self important little club don't they. Bless.

I haven't seen anything that comically deluded since I visited an American "soccer" message board and stumbled on the following poll:

USA v Mexico. Obviously.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Roger Irrelevant here, but CM was amazed to read t'uther day that Patrick Kielty's dad was murdered by either the UDA or UVF or UFF.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
NMH said:
It just shows you how THICK some people can be.
All followers of mass-religion set themselves up for is hypocrisy, imho.

What an ignorant statement. Surely what it shows is that there is a small minority of people who claim to be one thing but in practice are something quite different.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
John Boy said:
Remember that Johnston said he would resign for Celtic, but then went on to sign for Rangers.

How would we treat Zamora, for example, if he signed for Palace after saying he would re-sign for us?

This situation goes far deeper than mere inter club rivalry, it's a religiious problem, the same one that has cost so many lives in Northern Ireland and on the mainland for far too many years.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
John Boy said:
I know. Members of my family were marching in Derry on the day of Bloody Sunday.

Fair dos, I was merely pointing out that should BZ move to Paralasys it really wouldn't be a big deal and it in no way on a par with the sectarianism of the Old Firm however ridiculous that is in the so called enlightened day and age.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
bhaexpress said:
This situation goes far deeper than mere inter club rivalry, it's a religiious problem, the same one that has cost so many lives in Northern Ireland and on the mainland for far too many years.

Since the religion in question promotes love, peace, tolerance and non-violence, surely it is a lack-of-religion problem? If everyone in Northern Ireland actually followed the teachings of Christ, there would be no violence, would there?

It is actually much more closely related to football hooliganism than religion. It is the same need for tribal identity and vilifying the "enemy" based on some cause lost in the midst of time. The 'Catholic' and 'Protestant' tags are just merely useful handles for a few mindless bigots. Most Christians in Northern Ireland are as opposed to the bigotry as most football fans are to hooliganism. By branding them all with the same brush of intolerance, you must give our critics the sme right to brand us all hooligans just because of a few idiots.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Juan Albion said:
Since the religion in question promotes love, peace, tolerance and non-violence, surely it is a lack-of-religion problem? If everyone in Northern Ireland actually followed the teachings of Christ, there would be no violence, would there?

Its funny though, that all the major religions teach these ideals but then fail to apply them when dealing with the non-believers/followers of a different sect... sort of brings us back to NMH point: followers of religion set themselves up for hypocrisy.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
There have been some well made points on this thread,and im sure most of the more mature NSC'ers will remember the troubles in Northern Ireland.
Im currently serving in the armed forces in Northern Ireland.People are deluded if they thought this problem ever went away.There may not be mainland bombings any more,but on a daily basis there are sectarian incidents.The case of Robert McCartney is not a one off.Its only become so high profile because of the current peace talks and de-commisioning.

To put things into perspective there are currently 11,000 military personel based in province at the moment.That is almost double what there was at the hight of the Gulf War two years ago.

Northern Ireland is a time bomb waiting to go off IMHO.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
beorhthelm said:
Its funny though, that all the major religions teach these ideals but then fail to apply them when dealing with the non-believers/followers of a different sect... sort of brings us back to NMH point: followers of religion set themselves up for hypocrisy.

No, not at all, it's down to the individual. I was brought up a catholic (although I am now very relapsed) and thought that catholics were the masters of hypocracy until I encountered Southern Baptists in the USwho beat them all ends up. (Mind you I didn't meet a true cross section so I shouldn't judge). However, I have a cousin in Canada who along with her husband and children are Born Again Christians and are now Baptists. I admire them not because I share their views but that they are truly sincere. I've actually attended their church when I was there and didn't have anybody get in my face about their beliefs as well.

Juan is quite right though, Rangers - Celtic this is a 'lack of religion problem'. The sad thing is the number of people who use their religion to manifest their bigotry although this is not unique to the Christian faith. When India gained independance there was some horrific atrocities commited by Hindus on Muslims and vice versa not to mention the tension between Suni and She ite Muslims. That's just a few examples.

I don't have any problem with people worshipping in whatever way they want as long as it's legal and as I have seen religion do good as well as bad I refute that organised religion is a bad thing.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here