Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Second test antigua;w indies v england

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
the commentators said at the last match that there was more backroom staff than England Squad players checking into the hotel!

That probably is about right. thats were confusion comes in during net sessions and training, and we fall apart in style on the pitch.

Who do you speak to when you need advice? We have all those backroom staff employed, yet we dont have a manager.

What more do you need other than a manager, bowling coach and batting coach? Surely all the jobs can be covered by three key positions?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Agree about the backroom staff. What they are missing at the moment is a strong leader. You can have as many coaches as you want, but at the moment they are a rudderless ship. Whoever comes in as coach needs to knock a few heads togeather, to do that he must have the respect of all the players, unfortunately morres just didn't have that.

The central contract system needs to be revised. There needs to be more flexability to change the team. I think a two tier system might work, where you have a number of fringe players on 2nd tier contracts ready to come in. They then need to shorten the length to 6 months so they can add or remove (or promote and relegate) players according to form. I can't see the players or the counties going for that though.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Agree about the backroom staff. What they are missing at the moment is a strong leader. You can have as many coaches as you want, but at the moment they are a rudderless ship. Whoever comes in as coach needs to knock a few heads togeather, to do that he must have the respect of all the players, unfortunately morres just didn't have that.

The central contract system needs to be revised. There needs to be more flexability to change the team. I think a two tier system might work, where you have a number of fringe players on 2nd tier contracts ready to come in. They then need to shorten the length to 6 months so they can add or remove (or promote and relegate) players according to form. I can't see the players or the counties going for that though.

The central contracts are only for 6 months.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
My team would be:

Cook
Strauss
Pieterson
Shah
Flintoff
Prior
Collingwood
Swann
Broad
Sidebottom
Anderson

We can bat all the way down (sort of) and would have enough variation of bowling (swing, pace and spin) to cause problems.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
For years & years we have wanted a world class spinner. Why on earth drop him?
Have you seen him at all in the past year? He's been no better than Ashley Giles, but at least Giles could swing the bat a bit (and field).

He even struggles to get turn sometimes. He's really very badly out of touch.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
It's official...

Shah for Bell
Anderson for Harmison
Monty stays

Strauss
Cook
Shah
Pietersen
Collingwood
Flintoff
Prior
Broad
Sidebottom
Anderson
Panesar

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
is Antigua in a different timezone to Jamaica? as its starting at 2pm as apposed to 3pm last time.... ???

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
My team would be:

Cook
Strauss
Pieterson
Shah
Flintoff
Prior
Collingwood
Swann
Broad
Sidebottom
Anderson

We can bat all the way down (sort of) and would have enough variation of bowling (swing, pace and spin) to cause problems.

Flintoff at 5 ?? You must be kidding!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
WI won the toss and elected to field.

Strauss continues the run of England captains who are useless tossers.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Andrew Strauss "We would have batted anyway - now we have got an opportunity to take control of the game."

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Surprising they've put us in on a batters paradise. I'd have thought their plan would have been to get 500+ and then watch us crumble under the pressure of chasing such a large score. They've missed a trick here the Windies.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Surprising they've put us in on a batters paradise. I'd have thought their plan would have been to get 500+ and then watch us crumble under the pressure of chasing such a large score. They've missed a trick here the Windies.

depends what the track is like, I'm sure they know more being there and not sitting watching TV in Lyme Regis ;)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here