Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Second season syndrome

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
A lot of people talk about second season syndrome. I know when we started having more success than them up the road, a few of them said we will suffer next season.
So if we do not manage to get up this season, does anyone think there is anything in this second season syndrome lark?

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
I have stated this fact many times.back in 91 we lost to notts county at wembley and were relegated the following season.
Forest got to the playoffs last season & look where they are this season.

If we can keep hold of gus & add to our squad while not losing our key players we should still be strong next season

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
If we don't go up, Poyet will probably leave in the autumn, and unless we spend incredibly well in the summer then can't see anything but second season syndrome for us. Apart from the centre backs and wingers, our squad is packed full of ordinary players

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
If we don't go up, Poyet will probably leave in the autumn, and unless we spend incredibly well in the summer then can't see anything but second season syndrome for us. Apart from the centre backs and wingers, our squad is packed full of ordinary players[/

If gus does leave it will be because tb wants him to leave.

Where can he go where he will get the support that he has got here.

The last few weeks has prooved that gus still has much to learn

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I've thought quite a bit about this. I'm not sure if it's just a myth or whether there's some truth to it. As long as we keep a strong set of players, and bear in mind that other teams in the Championship will be wise to some of our tactics come next season, we can aim for another good finish.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
If we don't go up, Poyet will probably leave in the autumn, and unless we spend incredibly well in the summer then can't see anything but second season syndrome for us. Apart from the centre backs and wingers, our squad is packed full of ordinary players

No ... he's got tons left to prove yet. This time next year if we are challenging, but more than that putting on consistently convincing performance, then maybe but nowhere for him to go right now unless he wants to chance it with a Wolves or Blackburn

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside

It's great to see that you're a beacon of positivity on here these days. I'm surprised the club haven't snapped you up to reap the rewards of your remarkable football acumen & insight. Still, there's always time for TB to contact you in the close-season - so keep your eyes peeled for that PM. Our future promotion & ambition for European glory will surely depend on it.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
It's great to see that you're a beacon of positivity on here these days. I'm surprised the club haven't snapped you up to reap the rewards of your remarkable football acumen & insight. Still, there's always time for TB to contact you in the close-season - so keep your eyes peeled for that PM. Our future promotion & ambition for European glory will surely depend on it.

And good to see also that your attempts at humour are about as successful as a Peter Brezovan attempt at catching a cross

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
League One with Gus. Second season? Champions!
The Championship with Gus. Second season? Champions?!

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
And good to see also that your attempts at humour are about as successful as a Peter Brezovan attempt at catching a cross

Well he has caught a good few crosses when I've seen him recently, so I'll take the comparison as a compliment. I've no doubt you've got a far better replacement lined-up for us next year - so here's to us all witnessing the new Shilts between the sticks next season. You da man.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Looking at teams who got promoted from League 1 in recent seasons, it seems only Millwall have struggled and they're clear of the relegation zone.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think the only clubs who suffer from second season syndrome are the clubs who don't regenerate the squad in the summer. We've done fantastically this season, and it's hard to suggest that players like Calderon, Navarro and Barnes need replacing considering how well they've played for us this season. But if we're being honest, on what we've seen from the Championship this season, those three aren't up to this level of football. I'm not knocking any of them, but individually they aren't at the required standard. Barnes' finishing is Championship standard but his all round play and his technical prowess aren't in keeping with his work ethic and determination.

We need to evolve the squad in the summer to avoid becoming stale for next season. Gus may disagree with me, and it's fair enough if he does. But I hope we'll adapt the squad to what we need for next seasons promotion push.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
A lot of people talk about second season syndrome. I know when we started having more success than them up the road, a few of them said we will suffer next season.
So if we do not manage to get up this season, does anyone think there is anything in this second season syndrome lark?

Yes. Unless we improve our squad significantly in the summer. Everybody will have our number.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
We are already being linked with million pound players for next season, so moves are already underway to strengthen further. We have a nucleus of a very very good team with Greer, El Abd, Dunk, Bridcutt, Mattock, Lua Lua, Buckley, CMS. A quality keeper is a must. I predict nothing worse than 8th place next season, and being outside the Play Offs will be a dissapointment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here