[Cricket] Second Ashes Test - England vs Australia - Lords

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Poor Alastair. Time for a quick sandwich, cup of tea, toilet trip, check for messages from KP and he's back out there. What's the record for most time spent out in the middle for an individual player?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Going to be touch and go to avoid follow on would assume they will enforce it. Bowl us out with ample time to knock off the required runs.

WTF... you are really expecting Broad and Anderson to put on 61 for the 10th wicket?

There is no way Clarke would enforce it at the moment. Far too much time left in the game.

They will extend their lead to 450+ soon after lunch tomorrow... and leave themselves the best part of 150 overs to bowl us out.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
England 312 all out.

Trailing by 254 on first innings.

Australia will back again.

Shows what I know as I would always enforce the follow on. Then bowl England out starting with a couple of wickets tonght leaving most of the last day to score the runs.

Hopefully we can restrict their rate of scoring and get a draw.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Shows what I know as I would always enforce the follow on. Then bowl England out starting with a couple of wickets tonght leaving most of the last day to score the runs.

Fresh bowlers take more wickets than tired ones. Also England would of had a target to aim for so psychologically they will now have nothing but a massive score against them. You never know when headingly will happen again if we were to get a 100-150 lead

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Australia 53-0 (13 overs, RR4.07), lead by 307.

13 overs to play this evening... 350+ ahead by the close.

Bat until an hour after lunch tomorrow at the latest... lead 475 without even having to apply the long handle.

England will have to bat at least 4 and half sessions to save the game.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I believe there is more chance that Tony Bloom will spend the money for a new Ulloa type player, than England saving this match.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
G. Davis is innocent.

I'm getting the early train up tomorrow morning. Got the spade and cans of oil already.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Very rarely are follow on's enforced nowadays. India beating Australia after being asked to follow on seems to have created a little bit of doubt in captains minds. It also gives away the advantage of bowling last, so with plenty of time left I think Australia have made the right call, rain tomorrow would help England hugely. Otherwise it's batting for five sessions which would be a huge test.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Massive thrashing coming up. Pray for rain

Not necessarily, I really think we could hang on and get the draw here. There are no demons in the pitch and if the top order dig in it is entirely possible to bat for a day and a half on this track. The Convicts have rattled up over a 100 at 4 an over against a nice shiny cherry. Second time around, if the likes of Bell and Root can get their heads down like Cook and Stokes and with a bit more application from Butler and Moeen we could yet hang on.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Not necessarily, I really think we could hang on and get the draw here. There are no demons in the pitch and if the top order dig in it is entirely possible to bat for a day and a half on this track. The Convicts have rattled up over a 100 at 4 an over against a nice shiny cherry. Second time around, if the likes of Bell and Root can get their heads down like Cook and Stokes and with a bit more application from Butler and Moeen we could yet hang on.

I am an optimistic person, but I think you take it to another level! Cannot see it myself, but stranger things have happened I suppose.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I am an optimistic person, but I think you take it to another level! Cannot see it myself, but stranger things have happened I suppose.

You are probably right because we will probably fall apart as usual. However, Smith batted for 500 Minutes for his double ton and Cook managed 350 minutes, 2 or 3 good partnerships and it can be done. No wafting outside off stump and get everything in line for the fast balls which are on the stumps. Our first four dismissals in the first innings were all down to pace and if we don't nibble and get in line fast that threat will negate as the ball wears and the bowlers tire.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I recall that many years ago a certain G Boycott managed to bat on each of the 5 days of a Test Match. Not continuously, thank the Lords (although this would have been Sir G's ultimate wet dream), but that sort of stickability might come in useful to some of our guys today and tomorrow?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
To bat out 150 overs you need a combination of form and tenacity. Only Cook, Root, Stokes and Ali tick those boxes. 4 batsmen won't be enough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports