[Cricket] Second Ashes Test - England vs Australia - Lords

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Sadly, no surprise.
The fragility of this England team is alarming. All Cardiff and all that hasty triumphalism did was to stir up the Aussies, who knew they had underperformed and knew that that was as good as England would get. Any sign of hostility and we just crumble.
Lyth is like a little boy lost. The step-up in class is too much for him. Ballance's technique is all over the place. Bell is simply failing too many times and the pressure is unfair on Cook and Root. A side cannot keep recovering from 30-3. Eventually the whole team cracks and its goodnight Vienna.
The psychological swing here could see the Aussies run away with the series now. They are mentally tougher than this England team.

I don't think you're giving England enough credit here.

Sure, we have top order problems, but there's no doubt this side still has plenty about them. Broad has upped his game, Root has gone to another level, Stokes and Ali are now now chipping in regularly with either bat or ball, Cook seems to have got through his trough and is showing signs of life and the side are capable of scoring at a rate we haven't seen from an England side before. I wouldn't write them off just yet.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
What a dilemma I face now. I have tickets for days 4 and 5. The only chance England have of saving this match is that the rain forecast for Sunday lasts all day and continues all day Monday too. So, do I take one for the team and start the rain dance?

Rather infuriatingly I'm taking my Dad along for his first live ashes experience. We had tickets for the last home series; day 5 at Lord's and it finished inside 4 days and day 4 at the Oval, when it rained all day long!

We have tickets for days 4 and 5 at the Oval this year too. I wouldn't expect there to be much cricket on those days either!

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
What a dilemma I face now. I have tickets for days 4 and 5. The only chance England have of saving this match is that the rain forecast for Sunday lasts all day and continues all day Monday too. So, do I take one for the team and start the rain dance?

Rather infuriatingly I'm taking my Dad along for his first live ashes experience. We had tickets for the last home series; day 5 at Lord's and it finished inside 4 days and day 4 at the Oval, when it rained all day long!

We have tickets for days 4 and 5 at the Oval this year too. I wouldn't expect there to be much cricket on those days either!

Hmmm. Do you think there might be a message here about which days to choose?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek

Dilema ? You think England can get to day 4 ?

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I have said it before and been shot down in flames, but still think KP would do a lot better than the likes of Lythe, Balance and the out of form Bell.

Keep him on the boundary when fielding and out of the dressing room and don't let him use a mobile phone. Just let him bat.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I have said it before and been shot down in flames, but still think KP would do a lot better than the likes of Lythe, Balance and the out of form Bell.

Keep him on the boundary when fielding and out of the dressing room and don't let him use a mobile phone. Just let him bat.

You and I could do no worse than Lythe, Ballance and Bell right now. Sky showed that England have been <40 for 3 down in virtually every innings in 2015, including against the less than mighty West Indies. Used to be 4 out all out as the middle order was so crap, now it is the reverse. But is doesn't mean KP is THE answer. May as well promote Root to 3 as he is in effect playing 3 as in so early every innings, and see if anyone else out there.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
He Who Dares Wins Rodney

Capture.JPG

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
LBW Review Hazlewood on Stokes... given not out... looked like it pitched outside leg... but...
Think Clarke got a call from Watson on that one. Shocking referral.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
100 partnership for Cook 40* and Stokes 61* :clap2:

100 runs, 30.3 overs, RR: 3.27 (Cook 35, Stokes 61)

England 130-4, just 237 to go...

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Drinks - Morning session, Day 3

52 runs from 15 overs. No wickets and a wasted review.

England 137-4 (44 overs), 230 to go...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports