[Cricket] Second Ashes Test - England vs Australia - Lords

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
As I said after Lyth's century against the Kiwis, he would get found out against the Australians. I have doubts about him as a long term Test opener.

I agree with you, although because there's no one else I think you stick with him for now. What he does have in his favour is that he's used to batting with the England No. 3 and No. 5, so there's familiarity. In this series it's about finding a guy who can do a job, i.e. average 30, get a couples of fifties, up the tempo if necessary, look good in the field. He did that job in the 2nd innings of the last test.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Sh*t. Ballance isn't looking Test class either
Often depends which pitch he is on. He has the strokes, but tends to play from the crease. I think he'll be fine long term.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Let's be honest, Joe Root and his middle order cohorts having been carrying this team for some time. Sooner or later it's going to go tits up.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Let's be honest, Joe Root and his middle order cohorts having been carrying this team for some time. Sooner or later it's going to go tits up.

Totally agree. Lyth, Ballance and Bell are not playing well enough at the moment, and Cook is fragile.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
1-1 series level but if we win the toss at the next one we can go 1-up again!

Australia still have to get Root out twice - believe!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports