NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Declaration at 600 ?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Joe Root has Steve Smith LBW playing a horrible reverse sweep on 215 (345 balls, 25 fours, 1 six) :laugh:

It's being reviewed... and is OUT :clap2:

533-6

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'd keep batting until I'd got at least 600 on the board, throw the bat once you get to 550 to reach 600 in a short space of time. The extra runs can afford Clark to set some aggressive field placings for England's top order.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
And another for Root... Nevill caught low down by Moeen Ali at mid-off... 536-7

45 on dayboo for Nevill.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I'd keep batting until I'd got at least 600 on the board, throw the bat once you get to 550 to reach 600 in a short space of time. The extra runs can afford Clark to set some aggressive field placings for England's top order.

I hope they waste the time trying to do that... can't see the point myself. Too late to declare before tea now, so they will bat the next 15 mins / 4 overs at least.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I hope they waste the time trying to do that... can't see the point myself.

I can. Moving the follow-on target from 350 up to 400 could easily be the difference ebetween drawing or winning this Test.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I hope they waste the time trying to do that... can't see the point myself. Too late to declare before tea now, so they will bat the next 4 overs at least.

The thinking is that you can afford to trade runs for wickets by putting a lot more men around the bat and less in the field. I think this is a good strategy when your opponents' top order is fragile, not so good when it is solid.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I can. Moving the follow-on target from 350 up to 400 could easily be the difference ebetween drawing or winning this Test.

So could half an hour before tea at the England openers and a couple of quick wickets. Seems like an unusually defensive option to me... especially now they are wasting time with Johnson and Starc dobbing it around like they are now... 16 runs off 36 balls between them so far.

550-7 (145.3 overs, RR 3.77)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that they will declare to have 45 mins at England tonight, I hope not I hope they see the day out then declare overnight. We have to then dig in and try to still be in bat at lunch the day after tomorrow (4th day) let the runs come as they do dont chase them just occupy the crease.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So could half an hour before tea at the England openers and a couple of quick wickets. Seems like an unusually defensive option to me... especially now they are wasting time with Johnson and Starc dobbing it around like they are now... 16 runs off 36 balls between them so far.

550-7 (145.3 overs, RR 3.77)

Their tactics must have been simply get to tea batting as normal. I suspect they'll each have 3 or 4 sighters before half an hour of crash, bang wallop.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
All comes down to whether the England top 4 can avoid cracking under the scoreboard pressure. Bet there's not too much confidence between them right now unfortunately.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports