Seasons 1976 to 1979

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
It was great and I was lucky enough to have witnessed most of the games.

:ascarf:

Me too...many happy memories with the final game of the 76/77 season still remaining the best ever game i have been to in 34 years of following football....32,000 watching BHA v Sheff wed in an evening kick off. BHA won 3-2 to clinch promotion.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Taking 10,000 fans to Newcastle, a blue and white exodus...still can't get over the rigged game at the end of the season before...happy that Pompey won the cup yesterday, if only for the humiliation Saints fans will feel.

Dandyman

In London village.
Probably the best period in the club's history. I can still remember going to my first game toward the end of the 1975/76 season and getting hooked on the sheer thrill of the crowd and the atmosphere. Not sure it will ever be quite like that again but if the atmosphere at Famer is not regulated into sterile passivity then the future's blue & white...

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Fortress Goldstone. Due to being at university I went from Sept 75 to Aug 78 without seeing a home league defeat. Through 75-76 to 78-79 I think we only lost six out of 92 home league games, with the matches being played in front of increasing and noisy crowds. Great days.:ascarf:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
In that leage cup run, I seem to recall that WBA were also 1st (top) div, not 2nd.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Unquestionably the greatest era in the club's history - both on and off the pitch. The crowds were phenomenal, both in size and volume of noise; indeed the Daily Mail, after the League Cuo game against Derby, started their report with "Derby came face to face with Brighton and their famed crowd last night."

Oh, and for those who care about these things we also had a 'proper' firm who could go toe-to-toe with anybody - not like the pathetic shower we've got now who are just an embarrassment.

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Just chuckling at Charlton
Unquestionably the greatest era in the club's history - both on and off the pitch. The crowds were phenomenal, both in size and volume of noise; indeed the Daily Mail, after the League Cuo game against Derby, started their report with "Derby came face to face with Brighton and their famed crowd last night."

Oh, and for those who care about these things we also had a 'proper' firm who could go toe-to-toe with anybody - not like the pathetic shower we've got now who are just an embarrassment.

Das Reich is 'ITK' he won't agree with that! :blush:

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
and me. What a great time to start watching the albion:albion1:
Was the Derby game in the league cup, when Charlie george played for them & had just lost a finger in his lawnmower?

I can't remember if it was when he was with Derby or Southampton, what I do remember is him standing in front of the dugout waving his bandaged hand to their supporters and the North Stand started singing straight away,

"The Flymo,
clap, clap, clap,
The Flymo,
clap, clap, clap"

Happy days

:lol: :ascarf:

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
The Goldstone was a great place to watch football, the chunks of hardcore going back and forth just added to the experience!

Agreed, I was there the day Spurs fans started that particular little game of lobbing bits of hardcore about. I remember seeing a St Johns Ambulance guy getting hit in the back by a piece while he was giving first aid to a spectator at the side of the pitch. I started out watching that game in the North West corner and ended up in the South Stand via the pitch, thank god we beat the retards.

:ascarf:

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Yeah coins is still the favourite missile at Selhurst!
Back in the 80s ;half time used to be the favoured time.Your lot would all go up the steps at the side of the AW for a trip to the bogs and the burger bar;we would be in the corner well within throwing range .Ive had some great times up there!

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Back in the 80s ;half time used to be the favoured time.Your lot would all go up the steps at the side of the AW for a trip to the bogs and the burger bar;we would be in the corner well within throwing range .Ive had some great times up there!

Yep they were great days in a lot of ways eh? Not that i am advocating violence you understand!

:glare: :lolol:

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Yep they were great days in a lot of ways eh? Not that i am advocating violence you understand!

:glare: :lolol:
The game which always sticks in my mind was in 86;we were in a play-off position and it was bank holiday monday.We had the Holmesdale End and lost2-0 and were torn apart by Wright and Bright.
Hundreds left and went back to Norwood and got a train back to EC.Then for some reason we all left the station and walked round Croydon and back to Norwood it must of took 2 hours .Strange times!

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
The game which always sticks in my mind was in 86;we were in a play-off position and it was bank holiday monday.We had the Holmesdale End and lost2-0 and were torn apart by Wright and Bright.
Hundreds left and went back to Norwood and got a train back to EC.Then for some reason we all left the station and walked round Croydon and back to Norwood it must of took 2 hours .Strange times!

The one that stick in my mind is 1989, the penalty game. I have never seen trouble like that before, Palace fans were bloody horrible that day, absolute mayhem

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports