Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Season ticket sales for season 2013/14

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
The first two seasons at The Amex have seen us basically sellout of season tickets with sales of circa 18,000 out of a capacity of 22,500 for the first season and around 24,000 out of a capacity of about 27,500.

These are of course fantastic figures that the club must be delighted with.

It was obvious that the first season at The Amex would see a great demand for tickets and with us back in the Championship as well, every match was basically a sellout.

This season we have so far added approx 5,000 more seats and further increased our season ticket sales.

However something has changed - not every match is a sellout anymore. And we are going to have about 3,000 more seats by March time.

I have no doubt that for really big matches we will sellout our final 30,500 capacity but generally ticket availability will be much better (unless we are really near the top of The Championship or in the Premier League).

I do wonder though, what effect having these extra seats will have on season ticket sales next season?

Of course, a huge amount depends on how we are doing as a team.

But if we assume that we will be where we currently are - on the fringes of the playoffs - do you think season ticket sales will rise again, stay the same, or fall next season?

I think we may see a bit of a fall as some people see that they can pick and choose their games a bit more.

Any other thoughts?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Why would people pick and choose a match when they are priced at around £34 per match when a season ticket would cost you that a month if you can commit yourself to one ?

We top the table of the best supported club in the Championship,beating Leeds,Wednesday etc. The club was right to fully expand the ground now. Our ambitions are the Premiership.

Last edited:

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
Why would people pick and choose a match when they are priced at around £34 per match when a season ticket would cost you that a month if you can commit yourself to one ?

We top the table of the best supported club in the Championship,beating Leeds,Wednesday etc. The club was right to fully expand the ground now. Our ambitions are the Premiership.

I agree that the season ticket has been priced very favourably in comparison to tickets on a match by match basis.

I just wonder though - as we appear to have reached saturation point (based on our current position) and are seeing some empty areas of seats for some matches in the South Stand and South end of the East Stand - against less glamourous Championship sides - if more people may decide to just, instead of committing £400 - £500 for a season ticket, pick say 5 - 10 top matches that they want to see and commit say £170 - £340 instead.

With the extra 3,000 seats going in the North East and North West corners the empty areas of seats will become very much more obvious if we stay as we are against these less glamourous teams and I just wonder if this will have a detrimental effect on not only season ticket sales but also possibly atmosphere.

With the Amex full its fantastic, but we currently get around 24 - 25,000 for the less glamourous teams with some areas unsold. With the full 30,500 seats that will be approx 5,000 empty seats and I just wonder what effect that will have.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Wednesday :lol:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I agree that the season ticket has been priced very favourably in comparison to tickets on a match by match basis.

I just wonder though - as we appear to have reached saturation point (based on our current position) and are seeing some empty areas of seats for some matches in the South Stand and South end of the East Stand - against less glamourous Championship sides - if more people may decide to just, instead of committing £400 - £500 for a season ticket, pick say 5 - 10 top matches that they want to see and commit say £170 - £340 instead.

With the extra 3,000 seats going in the North East and North West corners the empty areas of seats will become very much more obvious if we stay as we are against these less glamourous teams and I just wonder if this will have a detrimental effect on not only season ticket sales but also possibly atmosphere.

With the Amex full its fantastic, but we currently get around 24 - 25,000 for the less glamourous teams with some areas unsold. With the full 30,500 seats that will be approx 5,000 empty seats and I just wonder what effect that will have.

I don't know what you want. At the moment our gates are fantastic. Does it matter if there are empty seats ? I would still be delighted if we averaged 18k-20k in a 30k capacity stadium in 5 years time in this league.. I'm not sure what you are expecting mate. Our gates will fall over time and eventually even themselves out in this league.

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
I don't know what you want. At the moment our gates are fantastic. Does it matter if there are empty seats ? I would still be delighted if we averaged 18k-20k in a 30k capacity stadium in 5 years time in this league.. I'm not sure what you are expecting mate. Our gates will fall over time and eventually even themselves out in this league.

I don't think he's complaining mate, just asking a relevant question. Fwiw I agree that season ticket sales will likely fall slightly as capacity increases and the novelty/excitement of the Amex subsides. But if we continue to average around 20k or more, with bigger crowds for big games, that will be amazing.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
The first two seasons at The Amex have seen us basically sellout of season tickets with sales of circa 18,000 out of a capacity of 22,500 for the first season and around 24,000 out of a capacity of about 27,500.

These are of course fantastic figures that the club must be delighted with.

It was obvious that the first season at The Amex would see a great demand for tickets and with us back in the Championship as well, every match was basically a sellout.

This season we have so far added approx 5,000 more seats and further increased our season ticket sales.

However something has changed - not every match is a sellout anymore. And we are going to have about 3,000 more seats by March time.

I have no doubt that for really big matches we will sellout our final 30,500 capacity but generally ticket availability will be much better (unless we are really near the top of The Championship or in the Premier League).

I do wonder though, what effect having these extra seats will have on season ticket sales next season?

Of course, a huge amount depends on how we are doing as a team.

But if we assume that we will be where we currently are - on the fringes of the playoffs - do you think season ticket sales will rise again, stay the same, or fall next season?

I think we may see a bit of a fall as some people see that they can pick and choose their games a bit more.

Any other thoughts?

Some interesting points raised.

Although we would all like to see full capacity gates week in, week out, it just isn't going to happen! I think it's nice to have seats available quite easily for the lesser matches that casual supporters or people that can't commit to a season ticket can buy to get their Amex fix. :)

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
As long as the monthly, interest free, installment plan is still offered then I don't think ST numbers will drop because the match by match ticket prices are so much more costly regardless of whether you miss 5 games and can't sell your ticket on, then it's still better value to get an ST

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
We're getting between 25000 and 26000 for the less glamourous games. How many clubs in this country would bite your hand off for gates like that?

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
I think that gates will drop slightly . but give it 3 or 4 years and perhaps pay on the gate then we may well see full capacity week in week out

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
I don't think he's complaining mate, just asking a relevant question. Fwiw I agree that season ticket sales will likely fall slightly as capacity increases and the novelty/excitement of the Amex subsides. But if we continue to average around 20k or more, with bigger crowds for big games, that will be amazing.

No I'm certainly not complaining - these are the best times I've had in 34 years supporting BHAFC.

I've just been wondering where people think we will end up next season and further on, attendance wise for regular, non glam, Championship matches if we stay upper mid table / borderline playoffs.

We would all love it if we could stay at 25,000 ish of course, but is that realistic?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
How are you measuring capacity? Bums on seats or tickets sold.

My rambling points are:
1. We seem* to have had lots "school night" games this season which will leave some seats empty even though they are bought and paid for. I try to let someone else use our tickets if we can't attend a match, but our seats have been empty a couple of times this season.

2. I know that there is no real alternative but having matchday tickets located next to the opposition fans can't help sales. If you're a "part-time fan" and fancy watching a game as a "day out", especially if you are bringing children, then sitting close to some of the neanderthal fans we face must be a little off-putting. So some games will always be lower than capacity.

*I say "seem". I'm sure I checked at the beginning of the season and it was in line with previous years, but it just seems like so many home games I can't take my boy to.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I find it interesting that you think the correct assumption is that we will stay around the fringes of the playoffs over the next 1-2 years. Under Gus we have improved every single season from day one. I fully expect this continue, perhaps around 4th/5th this season, then 1st-3rd next season. We are slowly but surely building up for Prem football, and I'm incredibly confident we'll get it. There is absolutely nothing to fear from this division, we've seen that now.

If no promotion i expect season tickets to drop to around 21k,i think the third season to be the important one,if we have another like this year and playing teams like barnsley with around 8,000 empty seats alot of season ticket holders will start examining the wisdom of a season ticket,this is why the club must reward the 22,000 plus and not increase the season ticket,theses first 5/6 season are crucial to form good habits with the sussex football public.:blush:

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
How are you measuring capacity? Bums on seats or tickets sold.

My rambling points are:
1. We seem* to have had lots "school night" games this season which will leave some seats empty even though they are bought and paid for. I try to let someone else use our tickets if we can't attend a match, but our seats have been empty a couple of times this season.

2. I know that there is no real alternative but having matchday tickets located next to the opposition fans can't help sales. If you're a "part-time fan" and fancy watching a game as a "day out", especially if you are bringing children, then sitting close to some of the neanderthal fans we face must be a little off-putting. So some games will always be lower than capacity.

*I say "seem". I'm sure I checked at the beginning of the season and it was in line with previous years, but it just seems like so many home games I can't take my boy to.

There is only one capacity of the ground and that is the total number of people you can get in. Attendance is how many actually turn up and I just go on the announced figure.

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
I find it interesting that you think the correct assumption is that we will stay around the fringes of the playoffs over the next 1-2 years. Under Gus we have improved every single season from day one. I fully expect this continue, perhaps around 4th/5th this season, then 1st-3rd next season. We are slowly but surely building up for Prem football, and I'm incredibly confident we'll get it. There is absolutely nothing to fear from this division, we've seen that now.

I don't recall saying that it was the correct assumption that we will stay on the fringes of the playoffs - just that it was what I was basing my thoughts on as this is roughly where we have been last season and this. We all hope the progress under Gus continues but I wasn't counting on it as we can't be sure.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Sheffield Wednesday :lolol:
Leeds United :lolol:
MASSIVE :lol:

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Fully depends on the price of a season ticket and if they keep the monthly option. Both of which I can see changing in the coming years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here