Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Season of failure?

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Nothing is a failure, it's all meant to be. I'm sure with hindsight we'll all look back and be glad it worked out the way it did.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Don't start with all this crap. It's not anger, just saying how it is.

Err...no. You're saying how you think it is.

Luckily you're one of an irritatingly vociferous but thankfully small minority.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Calm down. I'm saying you're right. I think Tony Bloom will regard it as a failure if we don't go up this season. I won't and I'm ambivalent about what we'll miss out on if we don't.

Sorry if I came across a tad hard. I just get a bit well you know when you see people say look how far we've come and would like to be in the championship for years. Those comments bug me, I'm old school from the late 70s and back then it was either promotion or failure but the new fans today, then it's been a great season.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
It's not a season of failure but of frustration.

This in spades.
Last campaign there was a stand-out 'if only' moment of frustration with the Palace play-off debacle.
This year there have been 'if only' moments most times we have taken on lower table oppo. The play-offs (at worst) should have been done and dusted long ago.
A more frustrating season I cannot recall.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
New stadium then I expect a bit more entertainment on the pitch and better quality players to help us reach our goal.

You do realise that the OPPOSITION that we are now up against each week, have 'better quality players' than Exeter and Dagenham & Redbridge? This division is ridiclulously tough. This Albion squad of the last couple of seasons are the more skilled and most athletic footballers the club has seen in 30 years. It doesn't matter whether you are prepared to accept that, or offer any alternative idea as being 'how it is'. Players you are no doubt castigating game in game out, like Greer or Bruno or even Barnes are capable of doing things with a football that 90% of the Albion players from 1985 to 2009 couldn't hope to achieve.

Even the defenders on the current team routinely clip 60 yard passes, or instantly control waist high passes, in a manner that would have earned a standing ovation if one of Adams' cloggers achieved it once in a game.

I haven't. I loved withdean, ups and downs but great entertainment.

No, it really wasn't. Pretend it was always 'great entertainment' if you want, to suit your argument, but it was very often completely shit.

Move to the Amex and it has been a total let down.

Bless. Season ticket holder for 32 years, and yet you sound like a spoilt six year old.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
sorry if people dont agree
home form is a failure
playing crap aginst the bottom teams is a failure
not bringing anyone in to replace crofts and barnes is a failure
transfer window is failure
playing this attacking football oscar likes his teams to play is a failure
Up for it against the top teams: Success.
Bringing youth through: Success

Last edited:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'm old school from the late 70s and back then it was either promotion or failure but the new fans today, then it's been a great season.

This comment baffles me, I know a number of "old" fans and a number of "JCL's," considering myself somewhere in between (a lapsed Goldstoner who found other uses for their money in the intervening period.) By some distance the long-standing fans are the ones prepared to be patient and the new fans want success at all costs generally.

Your experience is vastly different, fair enough.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And people like you wonder why the atmosphere is shit at the Amex. It's people like you mate.

Quite the opposite.

If you are as NEGATIVE in real life as you are on here, then its people like YOU, who are the problem at the Amex.

Mate.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sorry if I came across a tad hard. I just get a bit well you know when you see people say look how far we've come and would like to be in the championship for years. Those comments bug me, I'm old school from the late 70s and back then it was either promotion or failure but the new fans today, then it's been a great season.

That's all true. I started going as an 8 year old in 1979. The difference is that in those days the games kicked off at 3pm on a Saturday most weeks, you could get in with cash in the gate if you got there early enough, you could stand with your mates and there was always an interesting side show or two if you catch my drift. I just can't get as excited about the prospect of sitting in a corporate, atmosphere-free bowl having paid between £50 - £80 to watch us lose 3-0 on a Monday night, something that would be a setback in our quest to finish 16th.

That said we can't afford to stay in the Championship. It would see the stagnation or even ruination of the club.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
You do realise that the OPPOSITION that we are now up against each week, have 'better quality players' than Exeter and Dagenham & Redbridge? This division is ridiclulously tough. This Albion squad of the last couple of seasons are the more skilled and most athletic footballers the club has seen in 30 years. It doesn't matter whether you are prepared to accept that, or offer any alternative idea as being 'how it is'. Players you are no doubt castigating game in game out, like Greer or Bruno or even Barnes are capable of doing things with a football that 90% of the Albion players from 1985 to 2009 couldn't hope to achieve.

Even the defenders on the current team routinely clip 60 yard passes, or instantly control waist high passes, in a manner that would have earned a standing ovation if one of Adams' cloggers achieved it once in a game.

Did we enjoy better times at Withdean or the Amex?

No, it really wasn't. Pretend it was always 'great entertainment' if you want, to suit your argument, but it was very often completely shit.

Again, what ground did you enjoy more for entertainment?

Bless. Season ticket holder for 32 years, and yet you sound like a spoilt six year old.

Don't be an obnoxious prick mate and grow up.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Did we enjoy better times at Withdean or the Amex?.

That would depend on how you define 'better times' wouldn't it? We've had our three highest league finishes in 25 years, at the Amex. We were relegated three times at Withdean (and promoted 4). We've beaten teams at the Amex, that we couldn't hope to have lived with in our time at Withdean.

Again, what ground did you enjoy more for entertainment?.

The Amex, without question. You are watching better football, played by better footballers, on a far more consistent basis (on both sides). The QUALITY of what you are watching is unquestionably higher.

And you don't get wet.

For the last three seasons before 2010/11 at Withdean, I was regularly attending out of a sense of DUTY - nothing more. Of course there was the occasional belter of a game, but it was VERY often dreadful. Your current frustrations (and we are ALL frustrated) are clouding your perspective, imo.

I'm not the one getting all shouty and incessantly negative, because he hasn't been bought 'better player' to go with his 'new stadium'. :thumbsup:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Did we enjoy better times at Withdean or the Amex?

That depends - are you speaking about our entire stay at the Withdean, or just the last season there?

If you are referring to the entire stay then definitely the Amex as the joy of winning the league does not outweigh some of the crap we had during that time.
If you are referring to the last season there, then it would be the Withdean, but it is a loaded question as it's specifically a winning season, of which we've not yet reproduced at the Amex.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
That's all true. I started going as an 8 year old in 1979. The difference is that in those days the games kicked off at 3pm on a Saturday most weeks, you could get in with cash in the gate if you got there early enough, you could stand with your mates and there was always an interesting side show or two if you catch my drift. I just can't get as excited about the prospect of sitting in a corporate, atmosphere-free bowl having paid between £50 - £80 to watch us lose 3-0 on a Monday night, something that would be a setback in our quest to finish 16th.

That said we can't afford to stay in the Championship. It would see the stagnation or even ruination of the club.

I was 8 same age and my dad worked for the club and got an extra season ticket free which enabled my brother to come and my dad got 2 free FA Cup final tickets in 83 and what a day. Problem today is that people like us remember the old days, surges, atmosphere, and today we see atmosphere like a tea party at the Amex. When I see the Amex and look at the north stand my mind races back to the Goldstone but there's nothing there at the Amex, silence.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I was 8 same age and my dad worked for the club and got an extra season ticket free which enabled my brother to come and my dad got 2 free FA Cup final tickets in 83 and what a day. Problem today is that people like us remember the old days, surges, atmosphere, and today we see atmosphere like a tea party at the Amex. When I see the Amex and look at the north stand my mind races back to the Goldstone but there's nothing there at the Amex, silence.

Just as your claim that the fare at Withdean was 'always great entertainment' was wildly rose-tinting history, so is the suggestion that the Goldstone was some bouncing cauldron of noise. It was good when the team were good, but it could also very often be silent (and three quarters empty).

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Hardly a season of failure, given all the fall out from Gus's departure and Oscar having to start with little working knowledge of the Championship or our squad, plus senior players unavailable due to long term injury (CMS, Hoskins) and one of our best (Bridcutt) clearly unsettled. Then Oscar had to contend with further injuries to key players (Orlandi, Ulloa, Crofts, Buckley, KLL etc). Plus prospective signings (Grabban etc) didn't happen and some (but not all) loanees haven't exactly turned up either (Agustien, D-Rod). Finally Barnes leaving was not ideal.

Taking that lot into account suggests we have done remarkably well to move from mid table to being consistent play off contenders. The general direction of travel has been upward despite these handicaps. Gus didn't have to contend with half those problems so Oscar has done well, all things considered. However it is frustrating to get into the play off positions and not cement our place by playing decent footie. Unless we really batter Yeovil and Forest I'm not sure we can fully claim to really be there on merit, it might feel a bit too much like we are there because other teams were worse than us.

Plus I'm another with mixed feelings about the Premier League. Yes it would be fabulous to achieve promotion and then to test ourselves against the best plus it would reward Tony Bloom's magnificent investment in the Club. No one deserves that more than him. However I'm also a football fan wanting to see our team play decent footie and win more games than it loses. I recall us sweeping into the old First Div in '79 on the crest of a wave, having played some brilliant footie for 2-3 seasons. However the bubble quickly burst with a 0-4 drubbing from Arsenal in the opening game and we then spent the best part of 3 seasons fighting a horrible survival battle. Yes the were some outstanding results and the '83 Cup run but we never quite consolidated. Plus we created a lot of financial problems that came back to haunt us.

I know there would be a huge financial windfall but assume most of that will evaporate in signings and inflated wage deals. So I'm very wary of what promotion would bring. I have to hope that we would somehow consolidate like Southampton but they are very much the exception. I want to see it happen but it won't be easy.

mccraque

Feb 24, 2009
We are still in the running - although that could diminish later on this evening unless Boro do us a favour.

I've not had the optimism this season and would say that I enjoyed last season more (except the end) - but we are still thereabouts on what feels in my heart like a midtable season. We have missed key players. CMS, Hoskins, Orlandi, Buckers, Crofts. We sold Bridders and Barnes. But we are still 6th as I type.

People are also forgetting that Oscar had very little pre season. We probably started a couple of weeks behind other teams. I don't know if this influenced any player purchases...either ones that Oscar may have wanted, or ones that didn't come because our management was in a state of flux. I'm just speculating...I don't know how transfer targets are identified.

All things being equal though, Oscar has done a reasonable job. A good first stab. It has been boring at times. We have drawn too many games (mind you...I recall we went through a phase of that with Gus too), we've not scored that many goals. But we do have a mean defence. It's been an ok season in a tough division...

But - Look at Burnley. No resources, signed one player in 2 years (Ash) with ££ and yet have walked second place....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here