Seasiders weekend away in Brighton.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Seven hours and 15 minutes to get down was a nightmare, so within 10 minutes of checking in in Regency Square, we were in that big pub on the side street next to the Odeon.

At night, we thought Brightons pubs were not busy at all and even though we are in our 40's we were refused in half the pubs as they don't let groups in, only couples. We don't understand this policy what-so-ever.

Saturday.
Had a long walk etc and by 11.30am, the pubs around West Street were filling up. We had a few beers then got a taxi to the ground. Started to see/meet Brighton fans, all OK so far.

Ground.
West Stand as good as any Premier League ground, North Stand looks odd and out of place, but the accoustics made the noise from these two stands as good, if not better than EVERY Premier League ground and I went to virtually every away game last season. East Stand mostly quiet, but great atmosphere. You just need more songs instead of the only two I heard.
Thoughts on this? Am I wrong?

The concourse was great with tangerine everywhere (see my pics) pie was £3.50 and microwaved, not good way to cook pies.

Good banter with a few lads in the East Stand including 'Levi' and his 3 chums.

View from where we were sat not that good to be honest, right near the end next to East Stand, but ground looks good.

Thought your team were very good, played the long diaganal ball to the speedy, skillfull wingers well and the statistics were virtually equal, so 2-2 was fair, even though you'll feel mugged.

After the match, we walked side by side with home fans (strange we thought) but was then told the station back to Brighton was at the north, so we had to walk back down through the crowds (see pics).

Brighton fans were quality. We were chatting to everyone, getting loads of pics of the ground etc...

Train station had a mile long queue, so we decided to have a pint in the north stand. Took 20 mins to get there as we were stopped 10 times by friendly Brighton fans wanting to talk to us. Really great fans.

Had a couple of pints in the north compound and must of shook 100 hands and spoke to 20 odd Brighton fans including someone who posts on here BLUEBLOKE who's wife plays football and was in the match programme.

We were made extremely welcome all weekend by Brighton fans, even back on the train we met even more new friends, very friendly.

We were asked by everyone about the away end, but I didn't see any Blackpool beers and the tangerine was a nice touch.

Pub on the corner next to train station was rammed with both sets of fans all chatting and shaking hands etc... No sign of trouble at all.

Ratings out of 10 from me....

Stadium 8;
Your team 8;
Atmosphere 10;
Brighton fans 10;
Pubs 5;
Hotel 3:

Enjoy these pics and best wishes for the season and I mean that.

Bri...

Thanks for taking the trouble to post and delighted you had a generally great weekend.

We think we are friendly fans so nice to meet up with the similar Blackpool fans, having a beer together etc. That's the way it should be.

See you again next year ?

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Terrific write up Bri, I am glad you are going back up North with good memories of your trip to our place. Your fans were quality and seemed to enjoy the game. Any chance of you leaving out Phillips for the return game?..........No I thought not. I had a chat with a couple of Pool fans at the end of the game and they had a great day out. These fella's drove down in the early hours and were returning that night. Not bad considering it's a 600 mile round trip. I am looking forward to coming to your place soon. I have had some great weekends in Blackpool.

Blackpoolmad

Jun 25, 2011
Blackpool
Thanks for the great replies folks.

Will post again nearer the return match.

I'll leave you with this video I made last year. Not the best choice of song, but some great pics of Blackpool the town; away trips and other photos thrown in.

Thanks again from Bri...

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
Im shocked you didnt like the pubs as a lot of londoners come down at weekends for our night life, ive travelled a lot around England and i think brighton has a wicked night life.
Our songs are very basic at home arent they but away we sing loads of different songs, your notice that when we come to your place, pleased you all had a good time and nice to hear what you think of our spanking new stadium and good our fans also done it justice.
Good luck rest of year and damn that Phillips was class on saturday

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
the comment about the north stand looking out of place is right, not seen a picture like that, when your in the stand it feels like its huge and goes all the way across!! it does look odd, but its feels fanstastic when your in it!!!

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
The orange in the away end wasn't a personalised thing just the colour they have picked I think.

The whole turning the walls the colour of the away team and pictures doesn't seem to have happened.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Cracking post, just proves that both sets of Seasiders are brilliant fans. Glad you enjoyed the weekend, good result for both teams, looking forward to the return leg!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Had a long chat with a Blackpool fan who had come down hoping to get a ticket whilst I was outside Grand Central at around 11.30am. He was gutted, he had been to the stadium and asked in the shop and they pretty much laughed him out. What did he do? he bought ME a pint! Top guy, top fans, credit to football.

PS faceboook is baned at my work, can someone post these pics up on this thread?

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Lovely stuff! Glad you had a good trip Bri - although (as Mr Nutters mentioned) you really do need to sort out the pub sitch out next time you all come down. There's stacks of great boozers here that would welcome you with open arms, although not many in & around the seafront (as you unfortunately found out). Anyways, best wishes to you & enjoy your season. :thumbsup:

Btw, did you have any problems seeing the game through the goal netting? I saw a few folk on your own forums saying that it was neigh-on impossible to see what was happening at times. Perhaps some of our own lot behind the sticks in The North' are having similar issues? Strange stuff...

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Great to hear from away fans (especially when it's positive stuff) - Christ on a bike but that hotel view looked awful! Maybe someone on here could put together a fans' guide to visiting Brighton with detailss of recommended hotels/pubs/travel etc. to post on away forums before they come down

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Great to hear from away fans (especially when it's positive stuff) - Christ on a bike but that hotel view looked awful! Maybe someone on here could put together a fans' guide to visiting Brighton with detailss of recommended hotels/pubs/travel etc. to post on away forums before they come down

From what I recall, he booked it in the last month or so. You'd have to book in March to get a decent hotel room in Brighton in August.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Microwaved pies in the away end? Sacrilege. Don't start me again on the bloody caterers....

Sounds like they had a good day overall. Glad to hear it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports