Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seasiders weekend away in Brighton.

Blackpoolmad

Jun 25, 2011
Blackpool
Seven hours and 15 minutes to get down was a nightmare, so within 10 minutes of checking in in Regency Square, we were in that big pub on the side street next to the Odeon.

At night, we thought Brightons pubs were not busy at all and even though we are in our 40's we were refused in half the pubs as they don't let groups in, only couples. We don't understand this policy what-so-ever.

Saturday.
Had a long walk etc and by 11.30am, the pubs around West Street were filling up. We had a few beers then got a taxi to the ground. Started to see/meet Brighton fans, all OK so far.

Ground.
West Stand as good as any Premier League ground, North Stand looks odd and out of place, but the accoustics made the noise from these two stands as good, if not better than EVERY Premier League ground and I went to virtually every away game last season. East Stand mostly quiet, but great atmosphere. You just need more songs instead of the only two I heard.
Thoughts on this? Am I wrong?

The concourse was great with tangerine everywhere (see my pics) pie was £3.50 and microwaved, not good way to cook pies.

Good banter with a few lads in the East Stand including 'Levi' and his 3 chums.

View from where we were sat not that good to be honest, right near the end next to East Stand, but ground looks good.

Thought your team were very good, played the long diaganal ball to the speedy, skillfull wingers well and the statistics were virtually equal, so 2-2 was fair, even though you'll feel mugged.

After the match, we walked side by side with home fans (strange we thought) but was then told the station back to Brighton was at the north, so we had to walk back down through the crowds (see pics).

Brighton fans were quality. We were chatting to everyone, getting loads of pics of the ground etc...

Train station had a mile long queue, so we decided to have a pint in the north stand. Took 20 mins to get there as we were stopped 10 times by friendly Brighton fans wanting to talk to us. Really great fans.

Had a couple of pints in the north compound and must of shook 100 hands and spoke to 20 odd Brighton fans including someone who posts on here BLUEBLOKE who's wife plays football and was in the match programme.

We were made extremely welcome all weekend by Brighton fans, even back on the train we met even more new friends, very friendly.

We were asked by everyone about the away end, but I didn't see any Blackpool beers and the tangerine was a nice touch.

Pub on the corner next to train station was rammed with both sets of fans all chatting and shaking hands etc... No sign of trouble at all.

Ratings out of 10 from me....

Stadium 8;
Your team 8;
Atmosphere 10;
Brighton fans 10;
Pubs 5;
Hotel 3:

Enjoy these pics and best wishes for the season and I mean that.

Bri...

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Cheers, Bri - you lot are welcome down here any time. Just don't bring Phillips with you, eh? :D

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Thanks for that. I'm glad you enjoyed your weekend.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Well writen and fair points of veiw (apart from Pie slur,im sure they are all baked on site lol), many thanks for posting

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I do like hearing visiting fans views on the game, the ground and the experience :thumbsup:

westy

Jul 25, 2003
Glad you enjoyed it mate. Thought it was a cracking game, just a shame for us you signed Phillips not us!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
At night, we thought Brightons pubs were not busy at all and even though we are in our 40's we were refused in half the pubs as they don't let groups in, only couples. We don't understand this policy what-so-ever.

Pubs in the centre of town are always like like, I can see how people from out of town get caught out. I've been refused entry for being from Burgess Hill (about 10 miles north of brighton) a few times, never had a problem since I've lived in Haywards Heath though. They were bulshitting about the couples only, for groups of blokes they don't let in 5 or more at the same time, you need to split up. Must be a Brighton thing as I've never had that problem anywhere else in the country. Odd, but that's the way it is.

You should've made the 15 minute walk either to Hove where there's loads of good pubs, or to the North laine area.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Still recovering from the fire of Phillips but glad you enjoyed the AMEX and general reception. Enjoy the rest of the season...

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Thanks for the write up!

Just to add to the love in, your lot were some of the nicest bunch of away fans I’ve seen down in Brighton, very friendly and good humoured. I didn’t encounter a single idiot which is surprising given the numbers you brought down.

An absolute credit to your club! Good luck for the rest of the season.

Blackpoolmad

Jun 25, 2011
Blackpool
I think you need some new songs and we had one for the last 3 seasons that you should nick off us.

It is the Beach Boys John-B-Sloop song.

The words are as follows (just change Blackpool to Brighton)

Come on down to the sea;
To see the Blackpool FC;
Come on down to the shore, don't wanna go home;
Don't wanna go home, don't wanna go ho-o-ome;
This is the best trip;
I've ever been on!

Would sound amazing in your west and north stand and at away games.

I'll send you a link :) Really easy song to pick up and as you are still on your best trip for decades, you should sing it.

Up the Pool!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Thanks for the kind words Blackpoolmad. Thought your fans were quality and a very nice bunch indeed, good to see so many in the North Stand after game. No complaints about the 2-2, the second goal was coming as we sat back trying to protect the lead, and Kevin Phillips is just superb.

All in all I'll take the point, it was a pretty entertaining game, glad you enjoyed the weekend.

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
Met you guys (very briefly) outside the ground asking where you could get a beer. Glad you re-found the bar. Great game and good luck for the rest of the season.

Blackpoolmad

Jun 25, 2011
Blackpool
If I leave 25 posts, I'm aloud to leave a link :)
I think this is my 25th post.

Looking forward to our return game and I'll leave you loads of links for hotels, pubs and everything Blackpool nearer the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here