Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sean Dyche pre-Albion press conference

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Just had a look at their form. Looks pretty good. Wish we had beaten Fulham now. This looks like a big fat banana skin.
I don't even think it should be classed as a banana skin, they should be favourites in my opinion. I will be extremely pleasantly surprised if we get anything out of this game. They're definitely in a better 'moment' than us and with DCL and Harrison now fit along with decent players like Onana, McNeil, Mykolenko and Branthwaite in the side, they are going to be a tough team for anyone to beat going forward.

And we really can't use the European/fatigued/too many fixtures thing as an excuse if we do lose either. We have had a clear week whereas they had to play Burnley in mid week and we've only played one more game than them so far this season - 14 to their 13. If we do lose or play poorly and that is trotted out as an excuse again, that will piss me off.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yeah, it felt like he had a bit of a gripe with how we are perceived.

You can watch that bit from 7;35 onwards.
Well, we are perceived as a small club made good and a blueprint for clubs outside the big 6, and I think that must stick in the craw of someone who has regularly found us a good source of points, all the while knowing that it has also cost billions of Bloom's money.

I'm not suggesting our club isn't the best run club in the country - I think it probably is - but it has cost a lot of money, and mistakes have been made. Isn't that all he is saying? Could Dyche's Burnley have afforded to spend £15m on a truly crap player like Jurgen Locadia for example?

I get what he's saying (and it's true with the likes of the Locadia and Ali J) that mistakes have been made. But not 'a lot' (but then it's easy to take quotes literally when Dyche is just talking off the cuff). And also, that was in a different era and setup – which is maybe where, as he says, it's taken a long time to get where we are.

I wouldn't really take it as sour grapes, more a bit of balance (although it's a bit of a stretch) to the whole 'Brighton are the best run club in the world EVER' chat the goes on.
This!

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
"They know and I know, and it doesn't get talked about, but they've made a lot of mistakes along the way. It's taken them a long time to get to where they've got to."

This is a bit of an odd take, IMO. I don't think we've made A LOT of mistakes along the way. Out of context, it seems a bit of a sour grapes comment to me.
I took it as more of a "it looks like they've found a great formula for recruiting, but it hasn't come out of nowhere, and has taken a lot of work (and mistakes) to get there"

When asked about out recruitment, it was put to him that Barber said we have to shop in a different pool to other clubs, and his response was that we've been shopping in a "healthy pool" and spent a lot of money.
We have spent quite a bit of money compared to other teams with smallish budgets, but he's not acknowledging that we've also made quite a bit more from player sales, which is how we've funded them

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
"If you look back 4 or 5 years, they've spent quite a lot of money."

I don't think I've ever seen an interview with Dyche where he doesn't say that we have spent loads of money. He seldom says it about any other team. I think it's jealousy because he sees us as a small team and can't understand why our chairman invested when Burnley's wouldn't. He still seems to think of us as the lower league Withdean side that embarassed his Watford team in the FA Cup twelve years ago and considers us as a noveau riche Southern vanity project, not a proper traditional football club.

Okay Sean, let's look back over 4 or 5 years. https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/fuenfjahresvergleich/wettbewerb/GB1

In terms of overall transfer balance over the last five years, Brighton are the only team in the EPL to be in the black. €97.96m in the black to be precise. The 'quite a lot of money' we have spent over five years is actually a profit, and its €126.91m less than Everton, who, despite their financially precarious situation have a transfer balance worse than ours in four out of five of those years. Yes, before we started turning a profit between 2019 & 2021 we spent €82.74m over four transfer windows making us the eighth highest spenders during that period. However, one of the teams that spent more than us during that period was, yes you guessed it, Everton.

In terms of wages, we have always been in the bottom half of the division and we have always been considerably behind Everton's spend. Even today, with us competing in Europe, our 27 players are estimated to be earning a total of £20m less than are Everton's 24 players. https://www.spotrac.com/epl/payroll/

Sean, you were at a club that wouldn't invest. That wasn't Brighton's fault. You are now at a club that can't invest because they've been so hopeless at it in the past, Also not Brighton's fault.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Yeah, it felt like he had a bit of a gripe with how we are perceived.

You can watch that bit from 7;35 onwards.
Seems like they’ve had some recent successful results and he’s now tired of teams like little old Brighton being talked up ahead of daring to get a result at grand standing Everton

Hopefully this annoyance will be the nuance needed for us to get a result this time.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
He's got our number, worried about this one.
It feels a bit that way after the Amex game last season, but aside from that night when absolutely everything fell his way, his record against Brighton is not spectacular. He lost against Poyet's team in the FA Cup with Watford when we were a division below them. He didn't manage a win against us in the Championship with Burnley, losing three and drawing three. In the Premier League he won three, lost two and drew five. Then there was last season's debacle against Everton.

In total 4 wins, 4 losses, 8 draws against us. He'll be setting up for a draw again on Saturday whilst hoping to break quickly to exploit any gaps we leave. Hopefully, he had all his luck in one game. He's only won one EPL game at Goodison so far this season, against Bournemouth. The home game before that they lost to Luton. He played a full strength side against Burnley on Tuesday and his team will have to work very hard to contain us for ninety minutes. If we don't give them anything through our own mistakes (big if recently) and we don't concede early, it will be a hard game for them and their fans turn quickly.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
My worry is that we have not found a way to beat the low block, counter attack teams and he absolutely knows how to play that game. I hope RDZ has it worked out.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I’m the opposite, I find it really hard to to like him at all. Typical ‘real football man’. Wish he’d piss off to Doha and retire with his equally twattish ‘real football man’ mates Allardyce, Keys and Gray.

Comes across as a twat in some of those responses about us too - he really doesn’t like modern thinking clubs like us and the way we are perceived. I don’t like the way his teams play football (and that they always seem to beat us!), he’s got a chip on his shoulder generally and his passive aggressive way of complaining about referees practically every game pisses me off.
Precisely.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I wonder if he is referring to the players we took a punt on that haven't made it, which to me aren't mistakes, they are a by-product of the system we have taking risks on players with potential rather than ready to go.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'm not suggesting our club isn't the best run club in the country - I think it probably is - but it has cost a lot of money, and mistakes have been made. Isn't that all he is saying? Could Dyche's Burnley have afforded to spend £15m on a truly crap player like Jurgen Locadia for example?
I think this is probably the source of his monetary comments/chip on his shoulder.

He did an excellent job at Burnley on a very small budget. They didn't seem to spend any money ever on transfer fees. He's probably a bit resentful of the way we get held up as a prime example of how a small club can challenge the big boys when he had a season doing it on a genuinely shoe string budget. It's a bit of jealousy that we're flavour of the month and he never really was.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
"They know and I know, and it doesn't get talked about, but they've made a lot of mistakes along the way. It's taken them a long time to get to where they've got to."

This is a bit of an odd take, IMO. I don't think we've made A LOT of mistakes along the way. Out of context, it seems a bit of a sour grapes comment to me.
Maybe he was referring to match officials?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Really!? It wasn’t that long ago when NSC was adamant our recruitment was our biggest weakness. The ‘just sign a striker’ brigade were sure that was the case. Look back to some of the dross that we’ve signed since we got to the Amex and Bloom got his algorithm working. It took a long time and a lot of mistakes to get it right.

Dyche is just making the point that clubs like his can’t just ‘start recruiting like Brighton do’ because it takes a lot more groundwork than that. He’s right.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Jahanbakhsh, Andone, Big Jurgs and Ashley Barnes were all in the side when we were opponents of Bumley in the past. Perhaps he has sour grapes because he was able only to wrestle one of those behemoths off us? ???

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
But he joined Everton when the coffers were empty. I’m not surprised that there’s a degree of envy aimed at us.
I think it is that. but chiefly he is subliminally getting folks ready for his excuse if they lose to us...

cough "well, yes of course we could have played better, but Brighton are a very good side, and so they should be for all that money they have spent"

something like that anyway.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Interestingly the day after Bill Kenwright passed Jenny his wife was on TS early morning and she said what a lot of people don’t know is Bill had a lot to do with where Brighton are today. She didn’t elaborate anymore than that.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I think it is that. but chiefly he is subliminally getting folks ready for his excuse if they lose to us...

cough "well, yes of course we could have played better, but Brighton are a very good side, and so they should be for all that money they have spent"

something like that anyway.
Maybe someone could show him this:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here