Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Seagulls V Mariners - Memories

Dinner with Gotsmanov

NSC Patron
May 30, 2014
Worthing
Been a while since we have played GTFC so wondering what memories people have of games past.

Mine are
83/84 - grubbed 5-0 on a blustery day in October, a grim (see what I did there?) indeed.

84/85 - 2-0 down with 15 mins to go, 2-1 down with about 5 mins left - and we won 4-2, I think Hansie Kray scored for us and went a bit Krayzee… forgive me. This kept our play off dreams alive for a bit longer.

2002/3 the home game where we were desperate to stop the rot , and lost 2-1. The away game, final game of the season, drinking beer bought from the Co-op next door to the pub near the ground on a sunny day, drew 2-2 and a twunt (Michael Keane?) scoring their equaliser in a 2-2 draw and making the thumbs down gesture at the Albion fans, which was not apprecited - we both went down….

Over to you lot….

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
2002/3 being relegated at their place. Seen them at the Goldstone in the 80s too, can’t remember which year though. Funny, I still think of them as a Div 2 club.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Was there for the 2-2 relegation game. They were already bottom and down, but I think we went there needing snookers (a win, and Stoke to beat Reading, or something). I remember that twunt equalising and running behind the goal pointing down at all us lot. Despite the fact he'd been relegated a week or two earlier.

What an absolute CHOMPER

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Where it all began for me - 1988 at home.
Sat in the West Stand and my overriding memory is laughing every time the North Stand sung, “You’re shit aaaaaaaaaaagggghhh!”

A very dull 0-0.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Went to the 2003 end of season game. I think we were hoping that Stoke might go down instead of us? Suitably disappointed at the end.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
I have unhappy memories of the 2-2 at Blundell Park too. I knew there was only the remotest of outside chances that we’d stay up - but it was a possibility, so I had to be there, just in case…

The week before, my wife told me she had a friend’s party that day and needed the car, therefore I’d have to make alternatIve arrangements to get up to Grimsby. So, I hired a car, picked it up early that morning and drove up to Grimsby. I had fish and chips for lunch on the seafront in Cleethorpes (little did I know that would end up being the highlight of the day). I then went to the game full of hope and anticipation.

That didn’t materialise, I saw us draw and get relegated (I think the other result went against us anyway, so our result ended up being inconsequential), then drove back home in the hire car. As far as I’m concerned, we owe them one.

This all seems like a different world compared to what we’re witnessing now.

seaford

Feb 8, 2007
I was there for the 4-2 midweek game.
After going 2-0 down the local fish botherers were giving it large and to be fair who could blame them at the time. Then came the fightback, and it was Alan Biley I think who got 2 of the 4 we scored. Scenes, up there with one of my favourite away days.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Relagation at their plaice.

6858B666-B873-4BB3-AAED-BA12BCB3CEEB.jpeg

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sunny day at Grimsby. 5 or so pints sunk. Half time asked the non playing Charlie Oatway if it was true he had the QPR team tattooed on his arm. Surprised by the response. Glad he was on the other side of the hoarding.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Does the main stand there still have a massive Findus advert on the roof?

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Whenever I think about Albion v Grimsby (other than that relegation match in the 2000s) the name Matt Tees springs to mind. In the 1960s, he always seemed to score against us at the Goldstone - and we usually lost.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Watched that 03 relegation match in some shit hole pub on Gloucester Road, Bristol (John Cabot, Royal Oak, Robin Hood?) with loads of Arsenal fans and a Preston supporting drug dealer who was being racist about Kurt Nogan. Not the best day of my life.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Been a while since we have played GTFC so wondering what memories people have of games past.

Mine are
83/84 - grubbed 5-0 on a blustery day in October, a grim (see what I did there?) indeed.

84/85 - 2-0 down with 15 mins to go, 2-1 down with about 5 mins left - and we won 4-2, I think Hansie Kray scored for us and went a bit Krayzee… forgive me. This kept our play off dreams alive for a bit longer.

2002/3 the home game where we were desperate to stop the rot , and lost 2-1. The away game, final game of the season, drinking beer bought from the Co-op next door to the pub near the ground on a sunny day, drew 2-2 and a twunt (Michael Keane?) scoring their equaliser in a 2-2 draw and making the thumbs down gesture at the Albion fans, which was not apprecited - we both went down….

Over to you lot….
Not sure about the play-off reference there. No play-offs then.

My memories. Opening day of the 85/86 season. 2-2 draw that day.

I have made one visit there. Some will remember. A Tuesday night trip in 1992 and a 1-0 win. I think Albion were staging a mini revival at that point but still went down. The years I followed Brighton away have to be amongst the dullest ever. Still, we never had to worry about tickets or owt like that.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Been three times to watch us at Grimsby. The 5-0 I was sat in the Findus Stand. You could see over the opposite stand to the estuary. Watched a full-scale rescue of a small fishing boat, eventually they managed to tow it back in. Far more exciting than the game.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Went there in '77 (I think it was) on the famous Seagull SpeciaI train. We lost 2-0 or 3-0. The buffet car caught fire on the way home. It's only because of the fire that I even vaguely remember it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here