Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Seagulls to defy the odds....

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Seagulls to defy the odds....

Not buying that at all.

And Barnes must score. Before being red-carded for that belligerence we miss so much.

Wood must score also. Them's the rules.

Hoping for a 3-2 to the Albion then.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Seagulls to defy the odds....

Not buying that at all.

And Barnes must score. Before being red-carded for that belligerence we miss so much.

Wood must score also. Them's the rules.

Hoping for a 3-2 to the Albion then.

Are you forgetting Vokes and Ward. We'll need to win 5-4

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Burnley have had a great season, but I still think they are not a great side. You wouldn't be shocked If they were fighting relegation again next season, a bit like Leicester the season after they won the league.

In short this is a winnable game for Brighton, with the motivation that it insures safety this season.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I am one of the older generation. I was too young when Burnley reached the last 8 of the European Cup in 1961 (lost 5-4 on agg to Uwe Seeler's Hamburg) but was at school for our last Europe campaign in 1967 after we had finished 3rd behind Liverpool & Leeds (it was the UEFA Cup - now Europa Cup) and we lost again in quarter-finals 3-2 on agg to Eintracht Frankfurt after drawing 1-1 in the away leg.

For most younger (40 or less) Burnley fans, qualifying for Europe is a dream, but for me it could be a poisoned chalice. Unless we finish above Arsenal, we won't make the group stages and would have to play THREE qualifying rounds just to reach the group stages. More likely, there would be an embarrassing early exit (West Ham or Hull City style) against some Eastern European side with an unpronounceable name.:) Plus injuries etc....tiredness for PL games.

I'm looking for Huddersfield and Swansea to stay up (alongside us obviously), as they're two likely candidates for the drop next season. I'm also pleased that Burnley will have the Europa League distraction for much of the season, and I think it'll cause you to struggle to emulate your PL performances and final position next season -- which will mean that the difference in your and our points totals weren't be so stark next season.
That said, things will probably work out different from the above.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
....with a surprise away win at Turf Moor tomorrow.

The bookies have Burnley as favourites, Merson predicts 2-1 to Clarets, Lawrenson a 2-0 home win, the statistical "WhoScored" 1-0 to Burnley.

The "experts" and pundits have excelled in getting most BFC results wrong this season and I don't see this changing as we have not played well since a 2-1 home win against Everton. We've picked up a lot of points recently against poor teams (West Ham, West Brom, Watford and Stoke) without playing well. And in the 2-1 home win against Leicester, we only played well for 15 mins.

Without our best defender Ben Mee for a 5th game in a row, we won't keep a clean sheet, so Burnley 0 Brighton 1. I'd be relieved (actually pleased) to draw as long as Leicester don't win at Palace.

Just out of interest.....

Given Jay Rodriguez' Burnley roots, do you think the Turf Moor crowd will be giving Gaetan Bong any stick tomorrow? There did appear to be some booing of him at Selhurst Park the other week (admittedly I was watching on TV, but someone else also mentioned it on here) - without any previous history between Bong and Palace I can only guess that it was because of the alleged racism incident.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Domestic cups?:)

I've seen us in two losing semi-finals. FA Cup in 1974 when we were FAVOURITES to beat Newcastle. Lost 0-2 (hit the woodwork three times).

But worse was in 1969 League Cup semi-final when we were a top flight team against THIRD division Swindon. After both teams won the away leg 2-1, there was a decider at The Hawthorns. Swindon scored an early goal and were leading 1-0 up until the 90th minute when I left to avoid the crush.

When I got home to watch the highlights, not only had Burnley equalised to take the match into extra-time but they then went ahead in the FIRST minute of extra-time. Sadly, Swindon levelled and an Arthur Bellamy own goal (sliced a clearance into his own net) sealed the Clarets' fate.

I was slightly consoled when Swindon, inspired by Don Rogers, beat Arsenal 3-1 at Wembley.

That was 3 games this season.

The league cup consisted of reserves v Blackburn then one of the very few teams, this season, to be dry humped by Leeds.
Then properly bitched by Man City in the FA Cup.

As you can tell I'm seriously struggling to get my head round the concept of a fan from a club the statue of Burnley turning their nose up at European football.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Burnley have had a great season, but I still think they are not a great side. You wouldn't be shocked If they were fighting relegation again next season, a bit like Leicester the season after they won the league.

In short this is a winnable game for Brighton, with the motivation that it insures safety this season.

Only if Dyche decides to commit career suicide and head for Goodison.

SAC

May 21, 2014

Whilst I admit that I haven't seen them that much, only two live matches and a few highlights on MOTD, but when I have seen Burnley they have looked average at best. For them to finish in the top 8 shows how poor the PL is this season.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
We wheel win for sure tomorrow keep the faith

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
If I've got this right, if we do get a win tomorrow, Stoke can no longer catch us, and if Southampton lose to B'muff as well, we are mathematically safe.

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
The game at the Amex was pretty evenly matched. However, I'm assuming that our inability to score away plus the guaranteed one-defensive-fubar-per-game will result in us losing 1-0.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Whilst I admit that I haven't seen them that much, only two live matches and a few highlights on MOTD, but when I have seen Burnley they have looked average at best. For them to finish in the top 8 shows how poor the PL is this season.

What I think it shows is that there is probably more in common between the bottom half of the Pl and top of the Championship with the latter not having the benefit of 100 million a year to 'improve' their squads.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Do we really want an away match in Kazakhstan or Armenia in the middle of July? (which we would probably lose).

I absolutely admire your dour grey Northern attitude to your side qualifying for Europe. But I would have thought you'd be rooting for a home win to contribute to the potential loss of an unwelcome long dreary away trip to the poncy weirdo-ridden south of England again next season. :shrug::lolol::wave:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Do we really want an away match in Kazakhstan or Armenia in the middle of July?

I can see where you are coming from and can see the Sunday broadsheet articles now...

"...faced with tricky away trip to a town where 1 in 3 people still keep livestock in the bathroom and attitudes to social cohesion could at best be described as medieval, FC Vostok manager Vladimir Fomichyov says he is looking forward to visiting Burnley nevertheless."

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Not lost to Burnley in the last 7 games against them going back to 2012

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here