• Nah, enough football on telly as is

Votes: 32 32.7%
  • Fence

Votes: 5 5.1%

• Total voters

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
No. We can't all be superfans. There's a spectrum of commitment. We need to give people as many reasons to watch football at all levels as possible

I think you're absolutely correct. Some people have absolutely nothing else to do in their life so can plan everything around when football matches are being played but that's not the only experience a football fan has.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I think you're absolutely correct. Some people have absolutely nothing else to do in their life so can plan everything around when football matches are being played but that's not the only experience a football fan has.

And these people are no less important to the club and shouldn't be made to feel like second rate fans by those who can commit more fully :)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's a tough one. I know the non league attendances are through the roof at present, and many of their club houses make a decent buck by fans getting in early to watch the 12.30 ko or stay after to watch the 17.30.

Won't impact attendances higher up at all, but down in the National leagues and tier 7 and below I think they would feel it - even if just people staying in the pub to watch the game on TV rather than walk across to watch a live game.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I can see why lower league clubs want this, how many away games will a club like Crawley have on Sky? So the only chance to see away games is to travel to every away game, which isn’t possible for the majority

It make senses and would increase revenue.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The blackout should remain.

The government, the PL, the FA and TV authorities should clamp down harder on the streaming services

More fixtures should be Sat 3pm as opposed to having a near full round of Sunday 2pm's which aren't on TV anyway

We were a Div 4 team not so long ago. How would we feel about having our numbers thinned and maybe going to the wall, because Arsenal etc are on a dodgy stream at the same time?

Smaller clubs are going to the wall

Free football streams are not going to be around for much longer, similar to how it is becoming more and more difficult to download movies or music - you could do it anywhere 10 years ago through p2p or gigantic torrent sites, today you have to look long and hard to find a reasonably good and well updated torrent site.

Same is going to happen to streaming. It is already more difficult than five years ago. But they are not going to clamp down on it harder until they have made some alternative for it, some Netflix-y thing but for football. The betting companies that all have ads on the streaming sites, and who also sponsor a lot of clubs, doesnt want it all removed. The shirt sponsors and banner sponsors probably doesnt want it, because they would lose x and sometimes xx millions of people watching their shit.

If a site becomes as popular as Hesgoal, presumably stealing some of the TV subscribers, then they will act but as long as there is no really cheap and smooth option for those who wont spend money on TV channels etc, I dont think they are going to go all in on removing these sites. But eventually that will happen. In general, traditional TV is quickly becoming obsolete technology - most people I know doesn't even own TVs, and the broadcasters will have to adapt or die and likely they'll go with the former.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's a real shame you didn't think through the poll options to get some genuine responses. The options provided are not very good.

The options are fine. There are only three possible answers, two definite and a "fence" because this is a complex issue, with reasonable suggestions from [MENTION=314]Arthur[/MENTION] as to why you might pick them. You can still answer "yes" if you don't like his reason why.

Personally I voted "yes" because it is all streamed these days and this is the little clubs asking for it.

If the Premier League had been played on telly at 3pm during that first season back at Withdean, when we were just happy to be home and in League Two, there isn't a single game I would have missed at Withdean to watch big team football on the telly. And scrapping the blackout could lead to more games being played at the proper time of 3pm Saturday across the leagues. It's really very easy to spin up extra channels for the media companies if they want.

In fact, let's take NFL, OK, let's immediately call out that it's a franchised closed shop and then it is responsible for the horrors of Monday and Thursday night football. But, at a weekend, all NFL is on a Sunday in one of three time slots, and every game is televised, with the times picked somewhat so that they work for the home team's time zone. Saturday is for College football, Sunday is for NFL and you know you will get to see your team on a Sunday either live or on TV. Now, imagine if every Premier League game for a weekend was on Saturday and televised, kicking off at either 12.30, 3.00 or 5.30, with the games specifically picked so that early or late starts were between teams with short and easy public transport journeys and the longer distance games played at 3. Perfect, right?

Of course you'd have to uninvent the two shit European Leagues that play on Thursdays but such a system would be much fairer on the real fans who go to games.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
No. Not so much the adults but the kids will stop playing or watching their local team. Man Utd would be on every week or Liverpool or one of the big clubs. Kids aren't bothered about streams. But down the wreck having a kick about or CR7 on TV, no contest for kids.

Bones

Oct 25, 2006
Portslade
The options are fine. There are only three possible answers, two definite and a "fence" because this is a complex issue, with reasonable suggestions from [MENTION=314]Arthur[/MENTION] as to why you might pick them. You can still answer "yes" if you don't like his reason why.

Personally I voted "yes" because it is all streamed these days and this is the little clubs asking for it.

If the Premier League had been played on telly at 3pm during that first season back at Withdean, when we were just happy to be home and in League Two, there isn't a single game I would have missed at Withdean to watch big team football on the telly. And scrapping the blackout could lead to more games being played at the proper time of 3pm Saturday across the leagues. It's really very easy to spin up extra channels for the media companies if they want.

In fact, let's take NFL, OK, let's immediately call out that it's a franchised closed shop and then it is responsible for the horrors of Monday and Thursday night football. But, at a weekend, all NFL is on a Sunday in one of three time slots, and every game is televised, with the times picked somewhat so that they work for the home team's time zone. Saturday is for College football, Sunday is for NFL and you know you will get to see your team on a Sunday either live or on TV. Now, imagine if every Premier League game for a weekend was on Saturday and televised, kicking off at either 12.30, 3.00 or 5.30, with the games specifically picked so that early or late starts were between teams with short and easy public transport journeys and the longer distance games played at 3. Perfect, right?

Of course you'd have to uninvent the two shit European Leagues that play on Thursdays but such a system would be much fairer on the real fans who go to games.
Is the NFL only televised if they sell a percentage of their stadium out first? If they don't sell the percentage its not shown on tv? Or am I mking that up!

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
I can see why lower league clubs want this, how many away games will a club like Crawley have on Sky? So the only chance to see away games is to travel to every away game, which isn’t possible for the majority

It make senses and would increase revenue.

There is "ifollow" which I believe you can subscribe to and watch both home and away games. Not sure if the home team gets the lions share or how the money is divided.

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
The streams, wherever you get them from are from the Premier League so I presume they take a cut from the club's income for arranging maximum TV/advertising revenues, I am of course open to correction. There are many people whose occupation prevents attendance. If those people are willing to contribute to the income of their preferred club that should be welcomed by the clubs.
Whether any other organisation (betting/advertisers) has a financial interest in this issue should be of no concern to the supporters or clubs.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
I think this would be great for the smaller clubs. Fans who cant attend live will likely pay to watch a game from the comfort of home, wherever in the world that is. Those who enjoy the at game experience unlikely to be deterred.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Absolute No. It will be exploited by PL.

It's a vital stop gap to remind people that football does exist outside of Sky / BT / Amazon etc.

We may well watch on illegal streams, but it's a fag and the blackout ensures that many people who might otherwise sit on their backsides watching TV are in fact at Lewes, Worthing, Woking, Blackpool, Oldham, Tranmere, Yeovil, Swindon, Sheffield Wednesday* etc.

*couldn't resist that

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Protect our football pyramid, keep as is

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Too many people can't afford to go to games anyway. They should be allowed to watch it on the tellybox.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
No. We can't all be superfans. There's a spectrum of commitment. We need to give people as many reasons to watch football at all levels as possible

I watch Cheshunt FC and a lot of their home attendance is Spurs and Arsenal fans. If those teams are on TV before or after the Cheshunt game many will watch in the club house before or after the Cheshunt game; the home team gets the support and the club gets attendance money and bar takings. I'm not sure how they would behave if the televised games were at 3; watch elsewhere or keep an eye on the TV during the game?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here