Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scottish Independence Question

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
There was a piece in the economist yesterday on this very topic...

http://www.economist.com/blogs/free...src=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Thats the fella. I had a feeling it would be an issue. Cant actually see how in the current climate they can even begin to consider this as interest rates would kill them. Austerity measures harsher than current would be needed. What gets me is how can you ask the scots to vote without agreeing what the BoE or Uk govt will do with the debt.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Notwithstanding debt repayments.....the actual figures just about balance for a new Scottish economy,

from the discussion i watch the other day, that rather depends on the figures used. both side pick and chose some to make their case, and the oil revenues feature heavily when its far from clear exactly where the line in the north sea would be drawn.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
from the discussion i watch the other day, that rather depends on the figures used. both side pick and chose some to make their case, and the oil revenues feature heavily when its far from clear exactly where the line in the north sea would be drawn.

And what will happen when the oil dries up ? Not a discussion I've seen from the pro-independence side.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
If Scotland do go does that mean all those Scottish MPs have to quit :) Well, we wouldn't allow the French to become MPs

meeching gull

Sep 18, 2010
Boat Alley
All my family are Scottish all of them voting no.In an unlikely event of a yes vote
they are all moving south of the border because they fear Scotland can not go it alone

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
All my family are Scottish all of them voting no.In an unlikely event of a yes vote
they are all moving south of the border because they fear Scotland can not go it alone

My Dad saw all this coming and moved south in 1946 to live out his life in peace and relative prosperity in Hove, actually.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If the Westminster Government let Scotland go independent without them taking their share of the debt or making adequate compensation then they would be kicked out of office.

I would fully expect Scotland to take their fair share of the debt, although creditors are unlikely to be happy getting Scottish debt in exchange for UK debt.

I don't know which situation is more unworkeable - Scottish independence or a World Cup in Qatar?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
what ever happens eventually they will go
the question is can we convince the Welsh to go at the same time

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I believe that the uk subsidise Scotland however I don't know enough re oil & gas revenues from the North Sea but how many jobs would move back to the uk also I think around 7000 jobs would be lost if the Royal Navey pulled out of Scotland . Any other intresting facts!

I think you will find the R/N bases are not easy to shutdown/transfer work due to them being used for nuclear submarine work ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here