Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Scottish FA poised to ban kids from heading balls.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Would it help if they wore Steve Foster style headbands? It's a serious question and I'm talking about footballers in general. Surely that wouldn't spoil the game in any way if they became part of the kit. Even a nice wooly hat could be worn on a cold day.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Would it help if they wore Steve Foster style headbands? It's a serious question and I'm talking about footballers in general. Surely that wouldn't spoil the game in any way if they became part of the kit. Even a nice wooly hat could be worn on a cold day.

I think this only protects the skin from recent wounds that are still in recovery. Heading the ball rocks and rolls the brain which is probably okay to a degree for adults with modern footballs.

I think the clashing of heads is the real danger.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I'll be interested to read peer-reviewed articles that evidence a link between frequent heading of a football and dementia later in life. Given how little we know about the disease, and how far we far from a successful therapy, it would seem that this measure is IMO a little bit excessive.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
I'll be interested to read peer-reviewed articles that evidence a link between frequent heading of a football and dementia later in life. Given how little we know about the disease, and how far we far from a successful therapy, it would seem that this measure is IMO a little bit excessive.

Is the New Englad Journal of Medicine paper, linked in the BBC story, not a peer-reviewed paper?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
To be fair tho, the footballs that were responsible, possibly, for inducing dementia in football heroes of yesteryear bear little relation to the footballs of today Today's are plastic coated, light as a feather comparatively, and don't soak up water to end up twice the weight they were at the start of the game.

While that makes sense I am sure I have read that the you still have the same issue with new balls because they travel faster

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
While that makes sense I am sure I have read that the you still have the same issue with new balls because they travel faster

The lighter they are (with the surface area still the same), the more air/wind resistance will slow them down. Try kicking a balloon 50 yards.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Really interesting stuff here:thumbsup:

According to the mandate, players 10 years old or younger cannot be taught the skill of heading and cannot intentionally head the ball in a competitive game. Players who are 11 and 12 years old can receive heading instruction in training, but training the technique is limited to 30 minutes per week. However, they are allowed to head the ball in competition. In the event a U10 or below player deliberately heads the ball on the field, the opposing team will be awarded an indirect free kick at the spot of the foul. *If the header occurs in the goal box area, the ball will be placed outside the box. Just to be clear, I’ve heard conflicting arguments on this rule and how it will play out into 2016/2017.

https://snapsoccer.com/new-u-s-soccer-heading-laws-affect/

https://www.recognizetorecover.org/#us-soccers-comprehensive-player-health-and-safety-program

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The lighter they are (with the surface area still the same), the more air/wind resistance will slow them down. Try kicking a balloon 50 yards.

But a balloon isn't designed to move through the air at speed?

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I think it’s a sensible move from the SFA. In practice I think most coaches of young kids don’t practice heading the ball until they get to around 10. The top of a child’s head isn’t properly formed when they are young and whilst they won’t be coached to use the top of their head, I’ve always thought it best to avoid the risk.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It’s important to stop kids having fun to ensure we prevent anything happening to them throughout there lives enabling everyone to live until 150, albeit the last 60-70 with chronic ill health anyway. I wonder sometimes what we as a species are trying to achieve bubble wrapping every risk possible. Just because you’re alive, doesn’t mean you’ve lived.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Guidelines from the FA.

HEADLINES:
• No heading in training in the foundation phase (primary school children)
• Graduated approach to heading for children in the development phase U12-U16
• U18 heading drills should be reduced, to take into consideration the heading exposure in matches • Don’t over inflate the footballs: use the lowest pressure authorised by the Laws of the Game

U7, U8, U9, U10, U11 Heading should not be introduced in training sessions at this age
U12 Heading remains a low priority – 1 session per month & max 5 headers
U13 Heading remains a low priority – 1 session per week & max 5 headers
U14, U15, U16 Heading remains a low priority – 1 session per week & max 10 headers
U18 Heading drills should be reduced as far as possible, taking into consideration the heading exposure in matches

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Perfectly reasonable guidance from the FA.

Football skills should be developed on the deck, absolutely no need for small kids to be heading balls in training.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here