Scottish Bands - your favourites or not so favourites.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
LIKE: The Mary Chain, Primals, Bis, Teenage Fanclub, Belle & Sebastian, the Bobby McGee's (albeit only half-Scottish), and most of all... the Vaselines.

HATE WITH A VENGEANCE: Wet Wet Wet and the Proclaimers.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
THIS is the best thing in Scotland at the moment. Best album of 2009. New one due out this year.

WE WERE PROMISED JETPACKS
[yt]DdWuOPiSv8k[/yt]

Seen them 4 times already and if the second album is anything like the first they'll fast become my favourite band.
Noise, emotion, humour, talent. Why if they were female I'd lose myself in them literally.

[YT]DLj1eTSsnn8[/yt]

Last edited:

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Too many great bands to mention.....Aztec Camera, the Bluebells, Big Country, The Associates, Glasvegas, Hue and Cry, J&MC, Del Amitri for starters

Just to save me. THIS!!!

Especially Big Country, not exaggerting at all 1,000,000% THIS!!

and not forgetting the Skids

or Deacon Blue

Sir Norman Gull

Where's my poncho?
Mar 28, 2008
Location Location
The truly magnificent Sensational Alex Harvey Band. My daughter's favourite band is Biffy Clyro.

Just to save me. THIS!!!

Especially Big Country, not exaggerting at all 1,000,000% THIS!!

and not forgetting the Skids

or Deacon Blue

Big County are/were an excellent live band and their unpronounceable named drummer incredible. Also like Del Amitri, saw them live at the Hard Rock Cafe New Orleans of all places purely be chance as we were on hols there and it was just round the corner.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
From the 80s:

Billy Mackenzie of the Associates
Claire Grogan
Strawberry Switchblade
Cocteau Twins
and especially Aztec Camera (Roddy Frame is a genius)

From the 90s:
Jesus and Mary Chain
Primal Scream

From currently:
Belle and Sebastian
Conquering Animal Sounds
Mogwai
Fratellis

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Oh, yes - whoever said Malcolm Middleton, that's a great shout but I couldn't ever get into his Arab Strap stuff. It is the most depressing music I've ever heard - just in the way they describe life in a Scottish town in the 90s.

A bit of a guilty pleasure but I do also like Snow Patrol - well, 'Chasing Cars' to be precise.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Sorry about this..keep thinking of others, this time folk singers. I am rather partial to Dick Gaughan and Vashti Bunyan too. Technically not Scottish but both parents were and he did spend a lot of his life there - John Martyn.

I'd also add Proclaimers too. Forget there throwaway stuff, the Reid brothers are part of a great tradition of folk singers from Leith and are awesome live.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Oh, yes - whoever said Malcolm Middleton, that's a great shout but I couldn't ever get into his Arab Strap stuff. It is the most depressing music I've ever heard - just in the way they describe life in a Scottish town in the 90s.

Try listening to it on a hungover Sunday in Glasgee when it's raining. Hide the knives mother. His solo stuff was f***ing brilliant, until this year when he seems to have returned with the sound of a musical midlife crisis. Still love Malcy the cheeky little chief architect of arch-miserablist despair.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Wise words Mr Banana. Can I also add yet another? Steve Mason ex of the Beta Band. If you haven't heard his Boys Outside album from last year then I heartily recommend it.

What is it about these troubled Scottish musicians though? Apparently Mason was doing labouring up until last year after disbanding the Beta Band.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports