[Albion] Scott mctominay to the Albion?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
McTominay, or SToms as he is affectionately known within the game would be an outstanding signing. I heard Big Heck the other day discussing what an outstanding leader he has been for Scotland in their reneissance. A leader of men. Would be a massive statement signing.
It's official then, he's shite.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Funny and predictable thread. He’s obviously a good player and would be a decent signing.

But as happens every time we’re linked with a current Premier League or British player, the sages of NSC wrongly write him off.

Looks like we’re not actually in for him anyway.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Ben Jacobs' entire career is based on speading fake rumours about transfers based on his own dubious speculation (he's a Fab wannabe but without the contacts). The guy is a total knob who gives a bad name to football journalism. It's nonsense.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Funny and predictable thread. He’s obviously a good player and would be a decent signing.

But as happens every time we’re linked with a current Premier League or British player, the sages of NSC wrongly write him off.

Milner? Don't see anyone complaining about his signing. Just another NSC pop.

McThug is just a thug. Yes he plays well for Scotch. But MaGuire plays well for England but I wouldn't want that w@nker anywhere near us.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
In his teenage years I didn't see much in the lad.

However, he broke into Man United first team as an 18 year old. No mean feat.

Players who play in his position only get better as they get older and they have a long shelf life so it could never be a bad investment.

The lad currently has a better goal return in the international Europa League than Relying Haaland playing in the same group as him and he plays in a weaker squad than Haaland does.

All that and people are turning their nose up at the thought of signing him. Ah well. I suppose some folks are hard to please.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Players who play in his position only get better as they get older and they have a long shelf life so it could never be a bad investment.

The lad currently has a better goal return in the international Europa League than Erling Haaland playing in the same group as him and he plays in a weaker squad than Haaland does.

All that and people are turning their nose up at the thought of signing him. Ah well. I suppose some folks are hard to please.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008

The lad currently has a better goal return in the international Europa League than Relying Haaland playing in the same group as him and he plays in a weaker squad than Haaland does.

I’ve seen lots of him playing for Manchester United. He lacks the technical skill required to play in a double pivot under De Zerbi. His first touch is often woeful, and he struggles with the ball getting stuck under his feet - a nightmare when we’d be expecting him to receive it back to goal on the edge of his own box.

Additionally, he has a big reputation for going missing and hiding from the ball when the chips are down. He doesn’t show to receive possession in cramped spaces like, say, Groß, Mac Allister, Caicedo, Lallana, Buonanotte et al.

His success with Scotland has come from playing as a destroying number 8 in a completely different system to that which Manchester United or ourselves play. However, I don’t see us completely changing our entire tactical structure to accommodate him.

He made only ten starts last season. Here is his fbref, which is well below average and compares very poorly to all to of our starting midfielders.

IMG_1315.jpeg

Note from this data he excels at clearances (discouraged where possible under De Zerbi) and aerials won - largely irrelevant to a team with a double pivot who transition through defence to midfield with low passing.

As he’d be playing in a double pivot, he would rarely be expected to reach the opposition’s penalty box. The key statistics required for him to excel for us would be:

Passes attempted (17th percentile)
Pass completion (46th percentile)
Progressive passes (6th percentile)
Progressive carries (56th percentile)
Tackles (79th percentile)
Interceptions (45th percentile)
Blocks (44th percentile)

In short, for what he’d be expected to do, his stats hover around below average to poor - and that’s while playing for a top four club with quality players around him.

Add to that his 7 yellow cards in 10 starts last season.

It’s an absolute huge no thank you for me.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Ruled out by Alex Crook from TS who has a decent relationship with club / Barbs & Weir
Love Alex Crook, he's a massive United fan and he knows his beans.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Normal question is he better than what we have, with or without Caicedo.

IMO, no. £30m would be a lot for a squad player.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I’ve seen lots of him playing for Manchester United. He lacks the technical skill required to play in a double pivot under De Zerbi. His first touch is often woeful, and he struggles with the ball getting stuck under his feet - a nightmare when we’d be expecting him to receive it back to goal on the edge of his own box.

Additionally, he has a big reputation for going missing and hiding from the ball when the chips are down. He doesn’t show to receive possession in cramped spaces like, say, Groß, Mac Allister, Caicedo, Lallana, Buonanotte et al.

His success with Scotland has come from playing as a destroying number 8 in a completely different system to that which Manchester United or ourselves play. However, I don’t see us completely changing our entire tactical structure to accommodate him.

He made only ten starts last season. Here is his fbref, which is well below average and compares very poorly to all to of our starting midfielders.

View attachment 163147

Note from this data he excels at clearances (discouraged where possible under De Zerbi) and aerials won - largely irrelevant to a team with a double pivot who transition through defence to midfield with low passing.

As he’d be playing in a double pivot, he would rarely be expected to reach the opposition’s penalty box. The key statistics required for him to excel for us would be:

Passes attempted (17th percentile)
Pass completion (46th percentile)
Progressive passes (6th percentile)
Progressive carries (56th percentile)
Tackles (79th percentile)
Interceptions (45th percentile)
Blocks (44th percentile)

In short, for what he’d be expected to do, his stats hover around below average to poor - and that’s while playing for a top four club with quality players around him.

Add to that his 7 yellow cards in 10 starts last season.

It’s an absolute huge no thank you for me.
Ah well. That's the end of that then

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Huge SToms fan, I am sure a deal can be done between the £30m we are willing to pay and £40m Man U want.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I think he’s a nasty thug and I am no sage, delighted there is no chance of him coming here. I think I like all our players but confess to having gone off Sanchez recently, can’t see myself warming to McThug.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports