Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scott Hogan

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I can absolutely guarantee that we will not be signing 'much better players' than Scott Hogan. Not a chance.

You're Tony Bloom and you've seen your club get so close to promotion over the last few seasons, you're losing £20m a year and wonder how long you can sustain that as the Premier League gets richer and harder to get into without parachute payments. You are also a professional gambler.

I wouldn't be so sure about your claim HKFC, this might be the season TB decides in January that it is worth the risk to invest heavily in a player that will help us push on and give us the best chance of cashing in on promotion.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Why? If Brentford are resigned to him leaving, and then we bid, they can hardly say he's allowed to go to the other clubs but not us - that wouldn't be reasonable to the player. And if he had the choice, wouldn't he choose the club most likely to go up this year?

He has the choice - they can't make him go to a club he doesn't want to go to.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Why not he is not the best striker in the division and probably 1 more injury from finishing his career. Taking that into account £9m is a lot of money?

1. Yes, he probably is.
2. Regardless of that argument, he is a VERY good player, aged 24 and valued at many millions. We will not be signing someone 'much better'.
3. I have no crystal ball, regards his future injuries, not detailed medical records that show whether he is simply unlucky or has a weakness.
4. Yes it is. A great deal of money. Which is why we won't be spending MORE, or signing someone BETTER.
5. Not really sure what point you're trying to argue with, to be honest.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You're Tony Bloom and you've seen your club get so close to promotion over the last few seasons, you're losing £20m a year and wonder how long you can sustain that as the Premier League gets richer and harder to get into without parachute payments. You are also a professional gambler.

I wouldn't be so sure about your claim HKFC, this might be the season TB decides in January that it is worth the risk to invest heavily in a player that will help us push on and give us the best chance of cashing in on promotion.

You've misunderstood my point. I think we WILL plug the obvious gap in the squad. I think we'll do so with a very good player.

But, I rate Scott Hogan very highly indeed, so am certain that whoever we bring in (unless we spend an utterly RIDICULOUS sum of money) cannot possibly be 'much better'.

cooliobhafc

Mar 15, 2012
Brighton
Why do I keep reading about this spat between our chairman and Brentford's chairman? Have they really fallen out? Do we all know this 100%?

Every time we are linked to a Brentford player, someone says no way will we be allowed to buy him?

I am sure I read that Tony was offering advice recently to Brentford, something to do with a new stadium etc, hardly sounds like they have issues, does it?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Of the players in the Championship that are conceivably available, Hogan and Assombalonga are:
-- potentially available
-- up there with the very best
-- have impressive goal scoring records at this level
-- both with good experience, but still young
-- rapid, in other words, precisely what we need to complement our existing strikers
-- have the potential to succeed at a higher level
There are two down sides to them both:
-- they've both suffered serious injuries
-- they will cost a lot, and our rivals will be sniffing around them too.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

albionite

May 20, 2009
Why do I keep reading about this spat between our chairman and Brentford's chairman? Have they really fallen out? Do we all know this 100%?

Every time we are linked to a Brentford player, someone says no way will we be allowed to buy him?

I am sure I read that Tony was offering advice recently to Brentford, something to do with a new stadium etc, hardly sounds like they have issues, does it?

Bloom sacked the Brentford chairman and he used blooms scouting system to recruit Brentford's players.

Business is business but from what I've heard bloom does not want to give him any of his money.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Hogan is the best striker I've seen at the Amex this season bar none. He beat us pretty much single handedly.

I would argue we would always want to sign players of his calibre and if TB is prepared to pony up I'd be delighted - don't think he will, but hey I can cope with that too.

I don't get all the we don't want him/need him stuff on here. If he signed we'd all be over the moon.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Hogan is the best striker I've seen at the Amex this season bar none. He beat us pretty much single handedly.

I would argue we would always want to sign players of his calibre and if TB is prepared to pony up I'd be delighted - don't think he will, but hey I can cope with that too.

I don't get all the we don't want him/need him stuff on here. If he signed we'd all be over the moon.

Think the point is that we should not be spending money we don't have on a injury hit unproven striker. I am sure there are better cheaper options. My Brentford mate thinks he goes missing a lot in games and spends a lot of time offside, but they would bite our hands off for 9/10 million.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Completely agree on the "cover" point, but lets not go breaking the bank for a star striker just to provide cover.

Which is why I would advocate drafting in a quick young striker on loan, who's not currently getting much of a sniff at a PL club. Someone who can vie with Baldock for a place up front, someone who can come off the bench to freshen things up and provide some genuine competition for Baldocks shirt. I've mentioned the one I'd like a couple of times, but I'm sure there must be others out there, one's who aren't afflicted by some mysterious illness.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Would he be Premier League quality though ?

Without being presumptuous, there's currently a reasonable chance we will be plying our trade in that division next season, and £9m/£10m is a heck of a lot of money to spunk on a player for 5 months work. You could say that outlay would be wiped out IF we made it there (speculate to accumulate and all that), but with out current squad, Hogan would no more guarantee us a place in the top flight than a decent little loan signing to keep us ticking over and covered IMO.

Plus if we paid that kind of cash for him, he would come with a VERY hefty wagepacket on a 3 or 4 year deal minimum, probably the biggest at the club. Would we really want Hogan in the PL ? Could he cut it there ? All things to be considered.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

Without being presumptuous, there's currently a reasonable chance we will be plying our trade in that division next season, and £9m/£10m is a heck of a lot of money to spunk on a player for 5 months work. You could say that outlay would be wiped out IF we made it there (speculate to accumulate and all that), but with out current squad, Hogan would no more guarantee us a place in the top flight than a decent little loan signing to keep us ticking over and covered IMO.

Plus if we paid that kind of cash for him, he would come with a VERY hefty wagepacket on a 3 or 4 year deal minimum, probably the biggest at the club. Would we really want Hogan in the PL ? Could he cut it there ? All things to be considered.

Very fair points all.

But as I said, I can't think of anyone better if we were going to go large in January. I think the chances of signing him are pretty small but if we did we would all see it as a real signal of intent and be really excited (well I would). Maybe not a logical response but when were football fans logical?

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I think paying that kind of money for someone to provide cover, or increase competition is a little far-fetched. I would agree a loan signing from the PL might be more likely if "cover" is the brief? I guess there is still the unknown of what happens to Murray come the end of the season, so maybe a longer term view says get someone of that quality in. I would love to see it mind you - his was one of the best centre-forward performances I have seen against us in a long time..

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Which is why I would advocate drafting in a quick young striker on loan, who's not currently getting much of a sniff at a PL club. Someone who can vie with Baldock for a place up front, someone who can come off the bench to freshen things up and provide some genuine competition for Baldocks shirt. I've mentioned the one I'd like a couple of times, but I'm sure there must be others out there, one's who aren't afflicted by some mysterious illness.

This, there must be a young striker at PL who we could get in on loan???

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So Hogan aside, anyone know of any star pick yongsters from the Premier who we should be looking at?

Wouldn't have a clue if they are prepared to loan him out or not, but Dominic Solanke at Chelsea is very highly rated, and outscored Tammy Abraham at every age group. Striker / number 10. Only 19 but has a season of senior football at Vitesse Arnhem under his belt, and has done well for England at U20/21

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This, there must be a young striker at PL who we could get in on loan???

I keep banging on about him, but Akpom from Arsenal ticks all the boxes for me. Not a prolific scorer, but he's quick, skilfull, and (crucially) has had the benefit and experience of a season in the Championship already with Hull last year, when he helped them to promotion.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think if we had the spare capacity under the FFP rules we would have signed Oliver Burke who looked the best i've seen. Not that I don't rate Scott Hogan.

I would not take the risk on Hogan's knees. I think we have some spare shekels but my betting it might in reserve in case of injuries.

I think the squad is OK for numbers. That means if anybody leaves we will need a replacement.

I liked the look of McLeod (Brentford) but he is out for the season injured.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

That is my view and I notice Lee Johnson saying he will have to move players on in January could one of those be Tammy Abrahams back to Chelsea as he would fit the bill ideally on loan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here