Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Scotland

Scottish independence - what to do?

• Ignore them ( they’re low down the priority list)

Votes: 33 13.3%
  • Do everything possible to keep them in the Union

Votes: 38 15.3%
  • Bye, bye - the EU can subsidise you

Votes: 70 28.2%
  • They deserve another referendum

Votes: 66 26.6%
  • They deserve another referendum if England, Wales and N Ireland can vote on it too

Votes: 29 11.7%
  • Gordon Greer should be Scottish PM with Liam Bridcutt as deputy - fandabidosy!

Votes: 12 4.8%

• Total voters

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
images.jpeg

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
The main thing is that they , the SNP, dont actually want to be separate from the Union
they just want to keep themselves employed in high salaried jobs just to moan about being attached to England
Nice work if you can get it !

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
The EU has said they would expect to be able to admit Scotland into the EU. A big issue is one of currency because Sturgeon has indicated she wouldn't switch to the Euro.

A country with Scotland's financial clout would never be able to join the EU unless it accepted a change to the Euro. Besides that, would they be able to keep the uk currency if they were no longer part of the union?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Has there ever been a credible assessment on the financial impact for both Scotland and the remaining UK countries if they did leave? I can’t see Scotland having the economy to survive and surely they would be a net contributor to the EU, assuming they were allowed in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I have no idea why our PM is digging in. If they vote to go, there will be no SNP MPs. The Scottish lot have hit the blue majority in Westminster for many years. Putting a wall up deceases probabilities of no blue majorities.

This is what I've never understood. You would think the Conservatives would be happy to lose part of a union, where they have been in the minority historically.

Scotland is the type of country that would benefit from being in the EU. They would get more money back than they put in, unlike the UK. Also, I can't see them being over-run with EU citizens, putting pressure on housing, education and health care, unlike the UK.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
...surely they would be a net contributor to the EU, assuming they were allowed in?

There are 9 net contributors to the EU. If you look at who they are (Finland being an odd exception), they're all big countries with big economies. I can't see Scotland falling into that category.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
There are 9 net contributors to the EU. If you look at who they are (Finland being an odd exception), they're all big countries with big economies. I can't see Scotland falling into that category.

Sorry I meant the opposite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
That’s twice you’ve made a false statement. The Tories won 6 seats - not 1. Maybe you should concentrate on facts and less emotion. I realise you’re probably still drowning your sorrows from the remainer stuffing in the GE.

Ok, whatever, it's single figures but makes no odds - a drubbing is a drubbing and my point still stands. As for a Remainer stuffing, I don't call a majority of the vote going to second referendum parties a stuffing.

Carry on gloating and being patronising if it makes you feel better but even Boris realises it's time to start healing and he's a complete ****.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I have no issue with them having another referendum.

Yep, I don’t think anyone should.

But if they vote to stay in that’s it for decades unless something else changes.

I believe they voted to stay in on the basis of UK being in EU - which isn’t the case now.

It makes no sense to not allow them a vote as it will just build resentment up.

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
I think i have read that they don't pass the financial criteria to join the EU, plus they don't want to join the Euro which i think is another mandatory requirement. Then there would have to be a permanent hard border, again won't happen.
I just cannot see it myself

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
A country with Scotland's financial clout would never be able to join the EU unless it accepted a change to the Euro. Besides that, would they be able to keep the uk currency if they were no longer part of the union?

In my recollection they would not be allowed to retain the £ sterling and, in any event, I seriously doubt that the EU would welcome Scotland with open arms given their current fiscal state.

People I am in touch with up there reckon that Nippy is just using 'Indyref2' as a way of scoring political points and would possibly even shy away from it if it was offered (which I doubt it would be).

An earlier poster suggested that, in the event of an unsuccessful 'Indyref2' that Holyrood should be closed down - I disagree with that in that Wales and Northern Ireland also have devolved assemblies. What I would say is that far better to leave them in Holyrood and seriously reduce their representation at Westminster which is currently hugely disproportionate.

By my rough calculations, with proportional representation for the UK parliament and based on current results, we would looking at Conservatives 302, Labour 222, SNP 27, Lib Dems 80, DUP 5, Plaid Cymru 3 and SDLP 3. Have ignored the others.

We already spend too much time listening to the SNP bleating in Westminster Parliament where they have little or no interest in anything other than their own agenda !

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I think i have read that they don't pass the financial criteria to join the EU, plus they don't want to join the Euro which i think is another mandatory requirement. Then there would have to be a permanent hard border, again won't happen.
I just cannot see it myself
I’d have thought all those questions (and more) need to be answered before holding a referendum - otherwise what are you asking people to vote on?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here