Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Scotland Touring Holidays, Advice Sought . . .

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
So. My suggestion.

Start in Glasgow and head up past Loch Lomond and drive through Glen Coe. It’s an absolutely stunning drive. You could stay in Glencoe itself or push on to Oban. From Oban you could head to Mull which is beautiful (need to book Ferry well in advance). If you do go to Mull then day a day trip to the Isle of Iona. Stunning. Alternatively you could take a Ferry to do a day trip to the island of Lismore. Lovely for a day and cracking wee cafe there!

If you don’t fancy Mull you could head for Mallaig. It’s a beautiful drive and places such as Morar have some of the best beaches you will see anywhere in the world. Morar and Arisaig on the way to Mallaig have hotels with incredible walking nearby.

You should also then head up to Fortwilliam. Options from there include Skye (no ferry needed) or keep heading north.

If you go up past Ullapool the most beautiful place I have even stayed is called Inverkirkaig. It’s just south of Lochinver which has plenty of restaurants and a hotel or two. Up that far is the most beautiful place I have seen anyway, it’s almost otherworldly.
You could also do a day trip from there up to Durness which is right at North West tip.

Alternatively you could head inland to Aviemore. Loads to do there though so really good for few days. From there you could head up to Inverness as it’s not too far.

I live in Scotland and I believe the west coast is simply amazing, and despite what others say the food is fantastic, especially if you like sea food

Good luck planning I hope you have a ball.

Another endorsement here for the west coast. We have a Motorhome and would NOT do the NCT500, but our favourite campsite is at a place called Clachtoll, but Ardnamurchan, Ullapool, Lochinver and the islands are wonderful.

We do like most of the rest of Scotland as well.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
We drove up to Thurso but that was to visit a friend who lived there. We took in Dunnet Head (the most northerly mainand point) and JOG. As you say, underwhelming but we could say we'd been there, and could see Orkney. We did like our visit to Caithness Glass.

We went up to Glasgow, across to Edinburgh, up the east coast, and then returned via the west coast.

Ps, the food in Scotland is delicious, so I don't know what the previous poster was talking about.
I've stayed in Ayr, Alloway and St Andrews on other visits.

Interesting, that's probably not so very different from what we are planning to do. How long did it take you from Glasgow then back to Edinburgh? and where did you stay enroute?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Interesting, that's probably not so very different from what we are planning to do. How long did it take you from Glasgow then back to Edinburgh? and where did you stay enroute?

We didn't stay en route as they're only 42 miles apart. When we went to the Edinburgh Tattoo in August, the coach took us from the hotel in Ayr which only took a couple of hours.

If you go to Ediburgh and stay, take a trip to Leith and visit HMY Britannia.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
No! In fact you'll just be there for the start of it when they're all hungry and raring to go! (Lasts between May and September roughly).

Excellent, thank you, October it is!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
We didn't stay en route as they're only 42 miles apart. When we went to the Edinburgh Tattoo in August, the coach took us from the hotel in Ayr which only took a couple of hours.

If you go to Ediburgh and stay, take a trip to Leith and visit HMY Britannia.

Yep l'm familiar with both Glasgow & Edinburgh and know how close together they are. I thought you said that you drove right up to John O'Groats from there though?

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Don't overlook the East Coast, Inverness down to Edinburgh some lovely old fishing hamlets along the way .

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I’m surprised no one’s mentioned walking five hundred miles yet

On a serious note reading most of this thread does whet the appetite for a Scottish holiday ….personally I’d love to get the train up there (hate …no won’t fly) and hire a camper van to go touring

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

On a serious note reading most of this thread does whet the appetite for a Scottish holiday ….personally I’d love to get the train up there (hate …no won’t fly) and hire a camper van to go touring

With a name like yours you will be going back to your homeland.

Just one thing, please don't tell me you wear a kilt. :eek:

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Also, along with the amazing scenery, one can make a saving on joining the National Trust for Scotland and using the membership in England. Save enough for several pints of heavy!

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
We drove up to Thurso but that was to visit a friend who lived there. We took in Dunnet Head (the most northerly mainand point) and JOG. As you say, underwhelming but we could say we'd been there, and could see Orkney. We did like our visit to Caithness Glass.

We went up to Glasgow, across to Edinburgh, up the east coast, and then returned via the west coast.

Ps, the food in Scotland is delicious, so I don't know what the previous poster was talking about.
I've stayed in Ayr, Alloway and St Andrews on other visits.

I used to visit Thurso regularly many years ago with work, it was pretty grim even back then.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013

You should take SimmoSays and film it [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Stonehaven and countryside/coast around Aberdeen are also good

Good call. Duntottar Castle is worth a visit.

59f71ab50a004908e893975a76f8f7e5.jpg

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Many thanks for that, so much food for thought. Beginning to think that a week isn't nearly long enough!

You live in Scotland, so are B & B's simple enough to find, and generally have vacancies if we arrive on spec?

The more further north you go the fewer B&B type options you have so you may need to book ahead. In the bigger places you would be better off. The key determinant is time of year, during the summer everyone is super busy and I think it would be a real gamble to just turn up. If you did April/May or September/October and you would stand a real good chance.

That is all just conjecture however as I have young kids so we always need to pre-book!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here