Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Score early against Brighton is an agreed tactic

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
When we’ve been battered by obviously worse teams we’ve either been attacked or heavily pressed very early on. Dyche did it at the Amex last season, Wolves tried it last Monday and Luton did it tonight. And Wilder’s comments prove other teams’ coaches are discussing us.

Get an early goal against us and we’re always chasing. Needs tightening up.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
Aren’t we the top of the “win from a losing position” team in the prem?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
getting an early goal against any team ever is good tactic so not really sure what your point is
That when we concede early against a team with a good break we struggle. More importantly now, while our best creative players are injured or abroad.

But mostly that other teams’ coaches seem to be openly discussing how to beat us.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I dont think its particularly fair to make a broad judgement on tactics whilst we're missing the players we are. Would it have been 4-0 if we have had Mitoma, Enciso, March, Adingra, and Fati available? I highly doubt it. Without those we struggle to score, as most would, and althought we're only missing Veltman in defence it gives opposition the freedom to pile forward knowing we're limited in countering them.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Anything on target has a good chance of going in,” is the message I give to my u13 squad now we’ve progressed to senior-sized goals this season.

I expect opposition managers give their team similar advice when they play Brighton.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Despite the attempts to mock the OP, it’s very relevant with us. Away at Forest was a pleasant surprise for me, where we conceded yet another early away goal, but came back.

Time after time following an array of Saturday 3pm’s, we’re the f@ckers who concede first.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Despite the attempts to mock the OP, it’s very relevant with us. Away at Forest was a pleasant surprise for me, where we conceded yet another early away goal, but came back.

Time after time following an array of Saturday 3pm’s, we’re the f@ckers who concede first.
Well, it seems to me, scoring is the aim of the game, it seems weird to describe scoring as a tactic.
If it is, then we can simply deploy the "tactic" of not conceding early to thwart the opposition.
Whatever tactics teams use, it seems to me we come unstuck when they execute well, and we don't execute well.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Well, it seems to me, scoring is the aim of the game, it seems weird to describe scoring as a tactic.
If it is, then we can simply deploy the "tactic" of not conceding early to thwart the opposition.
Whatever tactics teams use, it seems to me we come unstuck when they execute well, and we don't execute well.

But managers have different approaches offensively and defensively for different opponents. Moyes, Seven Hag and Dyche will frustrate, not minding an 80th minute winner in a 1-0. Whilst Klopp, Ange and Emery go all out. Go a goal down to Villa and it’s game over, for many reasons. Guessing, I wonder if these days many coaches get their teams to put in a big early effort to score against us eg Villa away, Bmuff at the Amex, something they’d have more restraint in against say Moyes, Seven Hag, instead attrition.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
But I’mm talking about TRYING to score early. Wolves flew at us from kick off. Luton attacked immediately. Everton’s press at home was most intense from kick off.

They’re all thinking go hard early, because if you get a goal we struggle to break down teams with a low central block and quick break.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here