Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] School strikes

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There is, if you believe in democracy?
But if you’re part of a union which voted to strike then I feel you should follow that decision even if you don’t agree; that’s democratic and also what being in a union is about.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
But if you’re part of a union which voted to strike then I feel you should follow that decision even if you don’t agree; that’s democratic and also what being in a union is about.
accepting the result of a vote is a fair point.

though there's members in the union that didn't vote to strike, and those that aren't in a union at all.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Agree
though there's members in the union that didn't vote to strike
I know, but if you are in the union you should follow the vote. The union do not cherry pick when to support/advise their members over indiidual and personal issues so the members should not do the same. The whole point of the union is strength in solidarity.
and those that aren't in a union at all.
True. They can do what they want but if I was asked to attend a school today, unlikely I agree, I'd refuse to cross the picket.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

Keegan admits she did not realise until recently teachers do not have to say in advance whether they will join strike​

In interviews this morning Gillian Keegan, the education secretary, also admitted that she did not realised until recently that individual teachers did not have to say in advance whether or not they would be joining a strike. “It was a surprise to some of us that was in fact the law,” she told Times Radio.

Who in the f*** ARE these people?

Greenbag50

Jun 1, 2016
Local Primary school to me had a solitary guy outside waving a little flag.
School was fully open, staff car park full.
Both secondary schools mini GB’s attend closed to all but years 10 and 11. No online lessons provided.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
I know, but if you are in the union you should follow the vote. ...
wasnt clear, i mean the other union. there's at least two, and only one voted for action. following principle of respecting the decision of the vote, the other union's members should all go in, right?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

though there's members in the union that didn't vote to strike, and those that aren't in a union at all.
….and then there are several who are in a union that didn’t vote at all…I can’t recall the exact figures but the percentage that actually voted for a strike seemed to be less that the teachers in a union

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
wasnt clear, i mean the other union. there's at least two, and only one voted for action. following principle of respecting the decision of the vote, the other union's members should all go in, right?
I feel this is down to the indiviudal what they want to do. I feel strongly that if you are in a specific union which votes to strike you should adhere to this vote. Less so if the vote is from another union. Personally, I'd stike if in this position.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
As I've made clear on this post several times teachers are striking principally because the 5% pay rise is not additional money from the government but is to be taken from existing school budgets which are already stretched beyond breaking point. If they don't win, your kids education will suffer as there will be fewer books, educational aids and support staff. This further eroding of working condition in school will mean more leave the profession, fewer will join and the whole system will collapse.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
As I've made clear on this post several times teachers are striking principally because the 5% pay rise is not additional money from the government but is to be taken from existing school budgets which are already stretched beyond breaking point. If they don't win, your kids education will suffer as there will be fewer books, educational aids and support staff. This further eroding of working condition in school will mean more leave the profession, fewer will join and the whole system will collapse.
that implies teachers would accept 5% if there was dedicated funding for it. i dont believe that for a moment.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
Not everyone is feeling the pinch. Those rich beyond why possible need are on the whole several times wealthier then they were. The majority have suffered terms pay cuts, even before you factor in ridiculous rents and the current cost of living crisis.
You don't pay through the nose for schooling, basic per pupil funding is 3k pa for secondary, add in all possible premiums you still don't get to 6k. Basic day fees for Eton and Brighton College £45k.
We have seen low waged workers unionise and strike. More should. Corporate profits and executive pay are at record levels. The money is there. A little redistribution and those workers don't need subsidising by the state.
What is it our liberal attitude to offshore banking and failure to pursue ultra high net worth tax evaders costs us £20 trillion pa?

Bastard teachers, wanting to be paid closer to what they were fifteen years ago, wanting better for children. Yeah they're the bad guys here. Can we just check in on the country's progress under this government 90% of people poorer, public services on knees, even more services and assets sold off, most expensive power, most expensive railways, pumping record amounts of sewage into waterways, record debt (even if you factor the massive Covid grift out), record child poverty, record food bank use, record excess deaths.
But we do have a cabinet and ruling party full of multi millionaires, and a billionaire PM, surely coincidentally the category of people whose wealth has multiplied many times over, who is at least more competent than the previous PM because while he continues the vast upward transfer of wealth does at least knows that trickle down economics is complete bullshit
Brighton college is about 24k day pupil
Still a lot but you nearly doubled it there.

Baldrick

Aug 24, 2020
There is no doubt that the public sector has been badly treated by recent governments and deserve higher wages.
The problem is that the Goverment doesn't have any money. It is your money taken in taxes.
Nobody seems to have a solution apart from tax the rich. That was tried in the 60s and many of the very rich left for another country.
Nail on the head.

Public services are paid for by tax payers. It's the tax payer's money, not the Governments. If people don't work, tax receipts are lower so there is less to pay for public services including the NHS. All Governments, whatever their political persuasions, just choose how to best pay the taxes raised. Should people on benefits be paid less to pay more to public sector workers and those workers (e.g. rail workers) subsidised by taxpayers?

It's a tough choice.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
I'll not make an unfounded sweeping statement, but the 12 teachers that I know that are striking all would.
they should let their union know, they are pushing for an above inflation pay rise.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Local Primary school to me had a solitary guy outside waving a little flag.
School was fully open, staff car park full.
Both secondary schools mini GB’s attend closed to all but years 10 and 11. No online lessons provided.
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
You know a lot of teachers …I only no one and that’s my daughter

Edit oh and a customer

I've never said on this thread that I don't have a vested interest here. My wife is a teacher, therefore i know both her and many of her colleagues.
they should let their union know, they are pushing for an above inflation pay rise.

Again i'll stick to the facts that i know of. Every teacher is different. The unions are representing all, including the most militant. My wife, and her colleagues, would accept 5% if it was additional money from the government and was not taken from existing school funs. This is the frustration of all those that i've spoken with - there is a negotiation to be had here, but both sides have to give some ground.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here