Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] School strikes

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Yes, no Teachers should cross a Pickett line, including for year 11. As Teachers we have waited patiently to join the battle for our pay and the future of a properly funded public sector. I am proud to stand with Nurses, Ambulance Drivers, Civil Servants, Postal Workers, Rail Workers, Lecturers etc. It makes me laugh when they plan to make strikers in the public sector run a minimum service during industrial action - they only run a minimum service at the best of times. There are no spare Teachers, Nurses or Doctors.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Usual question to anyone saying teachers don’t deserve more pay.

1. Should they work voluntarily?
If no
2. What do you think is the fair rate of pay when you consider can’t recruit enough at current pay?
3. Do you think it is fair that teachers have seen a substantial real terms pay cut over the last decade?
4. If you still don’t think they should strike for better wages then how low would their wages have to get before you supported them going on strike.

It is a graduate job so tens of thousands in debt that they will pay off for the rest of their working lives.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Personally, I don't agree with teachers striking. The current crop of kids have already missed so much learning because of school Covid closures that it seems unfair to disadvantage them once more.
What about the next crop of kids who won’t have anywhere enough teachers to teach them?

They are not striking for a laugh. They are desperate.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Personally, I don't agree with teachers striking. The current crop of kids have already missed so much learning because of school Covid closures that it seems unfair to disadvantage them once more.
How else would you suggest they could express their totally justified frustration and dissatisfaction?
My daughter-in-law, an excellent and dedicated science teacher who is fully committed to strike action. At the same time she will do all she can in the longer term to make sure the effect on the students is minimised.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Easily solved, the government could give teachers a fair wage after many years of sub inflation pay awards

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
It's not just pay, the parents have to pay for all the new departments as well, e.g. the new science block. And if you give the school a nice cheque, they will make sure that little Jimmy gets made a prefect or sports captain and gets good grades. Totally corrupt and sets a bad example to kids, that you can buy your way in life.

Greenbag50

Jun 1, 2016
A counter view point
So you plan all your annual holiday around c14 weeks of non school time a year. Making sure your kids (who you have voluntarily, just to get that point in) are not left home alone, unsupervised etc. Then the schools, who you pay through the nose for via taxation, along with all other public sector services, decide their pay, working conditions etc are not good enough and demand more. (Not mentioning public sector pensions on purpose as that’s a different converstion altogether)
Everyone is feeling the pinch at the moment. I don’t see Asda workers on strike or those who work in low paid private sector walkIng out.
Discuss

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
A counter view point
So you plan all your annual holiday around c14 weeks of non school time a year. Making sure your kids (who you have voluntarily, just to get that point in) are not left home alone, unsupervised etc. Then the schools, who you pay through the nose for via taxation, along with all other public sector services, decide their pay, working conditions etc are not good enough and demand more. (Not mentioning public sector pensions on purpose as that’s a different converstion altogether)
Everyone is feeling the pinch at the moment. I don’t see Asda workers on strike or those who work in low paid private sector walkIng out.
Discuss
Not everyone is feeling the pinch. Those rich beyond why possible need are on the whole several times wealthier then they were. The majority have suffered terms pay cuts, even before you factor in ridiculous rents and the current cost of living crisis.
You don't pay through the nose for schooling, basic per pupil funding is 3k pa for secondary, add in all possible premiums you still don't get to 6k. Basic day fees for Eton and Brighton College £45k.
We have seen low waged workers unionise and strike. More should. Corporate profits and executive pay are at record levels. The money is there. A little redistribution and those workers don't need subsidising by the state.
What is it our liberal attitude to offshore banking and failure to pursue ultra high net worth tax evaders costs us £20 trillion pa?

Bastard teachers, wanting to be paid closer to what they were fifteen years ago, wanting better for children. Yeah they're the bad guys here. Can we just check in on the country's progress under this government 90% of people poorer, public services on knees, even more services and assets sold off, most expensive power, most expensive railways, pumping record amounts of sewage into waterways, record debt (even if you factor the massive Covid grift out), record child poverty, record food bank use, record excess deaths.
But we do have a cabinet and ruling party full of multi millionaires, and a billionaire PM, surely coincidentally the category of people whose wealth has multiplied many times over, who is at least more competent than the previous PM because while he continues the vast upward transfer of wealth does at least knows that trickle down economics is complete bullshit

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I believe everyone deserves a fair wage if you work, especially those in teaching. If you don't like what your wage is, find another job that pays better.
Sorry about that, I'm very anti strike action/anti unions
Ok so give up sick pay, holiday pay, weekends, pensions, any protection from unfair dismissal, paid overtime, maximum working hours, any notion of health and safety ... You know the things that people fought and in many cases died for.
And while you're at it try living in a world without low paid workers
Also how do you square your belief that everyone deserves a fair wage with not believing in any method of achieving that beyond competition in the labour market? I mean it is happening in the sense we have a shortage of teachers and nurses but have you considered it's a good idea to address this before 1-more people suffer and die 2-kids get sent home from school for lack of staff.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I don’t see Asda workers on strike or those who work in low paid private sector walkIng out.

Last time I looked the Royal Mail was in private hands and Amazon workers have voted to strike.

As for ASDA, they seem to know the value of their employees and have just handed some a pay rise after negotiations with the unions.

Private sector pay has risen almost double the rate of public sector pay which should give you a clue,

Don't confuse I didn't know about with didn't happen.

Last edited:

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
. I don’t see Asda workers on strike or those who work in low paid private sector walkIng out.
Ridiculous comment. I’ve worked for a firm like this, they are often not allowed or at the very least discouraged from joining a union. They get NO support regarding pay talks and working conditions, that is why the pay is low and staff retention is poor

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
There is no doubt that the public sector has been badly treated by recent governments and deserve higher wages.
The problem is that the Goverment doesn't have any money. It is your money taken in taxes.
Nobody seems to have a solution apart from tax the rich. That was tried in the 60s and many of the very rich left for another country.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
During the pandemic, while my kids teachers freely admitted to swimming at the beach and catching up on Netflix, teachers were given a pay rise. Nurses fighting on the front line were sadly not.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
A counter view point
Discuss
I guess that renowned lefty rag the daily express pointing out school staff leave schools to earn more in supermarkets is all made up?

Which job is more skilled? Working with children with special educational needs or stacking shelves? How will losing staff from helping struggling children help the struggling children?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
So do you think that losing people to work in our hospitals, in our emergency services, in our schools and in other public services will
A) make things better
B) make things worse.
I think that problems of behavior and progress persist in schools and that is what is important. Drop out rates amongst teachers is much more complex than just pay. It is also about ever increasing workload, paperwork and the abomination that is teacher training. I will continue to work if required.

Edit; I have just read post 19 so will not contribute to this thread again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here