Votes: 7 6.5%

• Total voters

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Schedule. Defiantly.

This, the other one is American.

Same goes for secretary - the English (i.e. correct) way of pronouncing this word is to shorten the end so that it sounds like "seck-ret-tree". The long drawn out way is the shit American way.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Schedule is the only correct answer. Skedule is for Americans and English souls who think a crisp k at the start makes them sound well spoken:facepalm:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Schedule is the only correct answer. Skedule is for Americans and English souls who think a crisp k at the start makes them sound well spoken:facepalm:

Correct. And the sort of people who say 'Can I get' when they want to order something. No, no you can't, you tell me what you want, I'll 'get' it for you. Either watched too much 90210 or once went to Florida for a week.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
How many other words beginning sch do you pronounce as 'sh' instead of 'sk'?

If words beginning with sc are supposed to sound as sk, why are scissors not pronounced skissors?

Coalburner

May 22, 2017
Words beginning sch have Germanic roots and are pronounced sh in that language, while sc has French roots and is pronounce ss in that language

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Words beginning sch have Germanic roots and are pronounced sh in that language, while sc has French roots and is pronounce ss in that language

Interesting, but apparently untrue in the case of schedule: "From Old French cedule (whence French cédule), from Late Latin schedula (“papyrus strip”), diminutive of Latin scheda, from Ancient Greek σχέδη (skhédē, “papyrus leaf”)."

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/schedule

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
Scheduler?

More seriously, there are some like schnapps, schmuck, schmooze, but off the top of my head the only one I can think of that doesn't have another consonant immediately after the h is schadenfreude.

When I say off the top of my head, I just typed "words beginning with sch" into Google :)

I suspect, ultimately, that it doesn't really matter.

And that, from somebody in Scheffield. Or is it Skeffield? But that, ultimately, doesn't matter either.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Same as “route” can be pronounced either Root (Brit) or Rowt (US)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Same as “route” can be pronounced either Root (Brit) or Rowt (US)

To be honest, I think that's just a bastardisation by the yanks of our language. I don't know and have never heard anyone in this country pronounce it as rowt.

A bit like de po rather than dep o.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
How many other words beginning sch do you pronounce as 'sh' instead of 'sk'?

Schweppes?
Schmooze?
Grant Schapps?

I say Schedule

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Its clearly time to take back control of OUR language then and stick with itinerary ...

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just been listening to Andrew Straus on five live talking and he repeatedly said schedule as Skedule, which made me realise I say schedule as in shedule.

Which is right, or does it depend what context you are saying it?

It depends if you're American or English (or Andrew Strauss apparantly).

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I had always been told that “sh” was British English, and “sk” was American.

Same, although I have always been a SK myself.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It’s weird that I learnt about pronunciation at school, and that’s the only word I can think of where the English version of a Germanic word pronounces the sch incorrectly!

Schedule is always sh if you’re English, though (or should be). I’ve recently managed to stop my wife using skedule in return for me pronouncing the middle of assume correctly and not putting a sh sound in it!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This, the other one is American.

Same goes for secretary - the English (i.e. correct) way of pronouncing this word is to shorten the end so that it sounds like "seck-ret-tree". The long drawn out way is the shit American way.

Secker Terry :lolol:

The Americans have shortened pronunciation of some words though: aluminum; realty (which, seriously kids, means real estate). And instead of estate agents they have realtors. They should go directly to gaol and not collect £200 in my view.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here