Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Scarey stat ?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Yep, their defence couldn’t hold out against class.

But at the other end Zaha was an irritating nightmare, attacking down the left.

And yet,they have only won 4 games at home this season, don't get me wrong, a draw would be a good result up at Selhurst,but, all this talk of Palace being some kind of unbeatable super team is laughable. It's reminiscent of the glorification of Huddersfield last season, when a cadre of posters on here posted their belief that Udders would overtake is and win the league by 10 points, or something like that.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
I hope you have :thumbsup:

I was just shocked at how dismal our goal return has been away from the Amex. SHOCKED I tell ye.

0-0 at Selhurst anyone ? Yes bloody please.

Yep two 0-0 ‘park the bus’ draws at Palace & Burnley would do the trick but will be bloody painful to endure !

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Entertainment, vision, excitement, to cheer, not waste £100+ on going away, endeavour and god forbid a result! Then we get the call from players for us fans to be noisy and show our support, get a grip.

Nobody is forcing you to waste your money. If you feel that strongly about Chris Hughton's tactics away from home, find something better to do on those Saturdays.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
And yet,they have only won 4 games at home this season, don't get me wrong, a draw would be a good result up at Selhurst,but, all this talk of Palace being some kind of unbeatable super team is laughable. It's reminiscent of the glorification of Huddersfield last season, when a cadre of posters on here posted their belief that Udders would overtake is and win the league by 10 points, or something like that.

Their team is shocking other than Zaha, Townsend and a CM. Without Zaha they'd be dead and buried like WBA. The concerns are probably that with home advantage, those two will be a nightmare (as a Bmuff poster warned us this evening). Hoping that CH's negative side will do a job on that threat with team set-up and tactics.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
To be honest, I haven't bothered going away from home this season because we have been totally noncompetitive by design. The wins against West Ham and Swansea are going to prove to be crucial if we do stay up, and hopefully we can add Palace to that list.

We aren't ambitious enough as a team, and it must be frustrating for the players who are capable of doing more on the road especially.

Burnley only got a single away win last season and have kicked on this time, hopefully we'll do something similar but we've not been good enough away from home and I haven't heard anything from Hughton that he's felt we should be doing more. I don't want to hear, "we weren't at our best" again on saturday - it's become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
No need to be an arse about it. It's a perfectly valid point to make. There have been plenty of discussions about how we haven't been adventurous enough on the road. Huddersfield have 11 and Newcastle 17. We are bottom of the table when it comes to goals scored away from home. The only other team in single figures is West Brom. This forum is here to, you know, discuss things.

Yes, a forum is to discuss things. How about discussing Huddersfield's goal difference as you were keen to include them in your analysis!

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Yes, a forum is to discuss things. How about discussing Huddersfield's goal difference as you were keen to include them in your analysis!

They have more points away from home this season than we do.

If you gain just one extra point by being a bit more adventurous, then the whole GD argument becomes redundant.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Burnley's improvement on the road this season has been down to a better system and the excellent form of CM duo of Steven Defour and Jack Cork.

Last year, Burnley were awful and negative away to bottom half teams but better against the top teams. Last year away to Man City 1-2, Man United 0-0, Tottenham 1-2, Liverpool 1-2, Arsenal 1-2 and Chelsea 0-3.

As Dyche says..."fine margins".

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

If you gain just one extra point by being a bit more adventurous, then the whole GD argument becomes redundant.

IF two small letters which can change an aunt to an uncle.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

You really need to get better at this analysis lark, don't you. We are currently 8th in the table on home form, compared to Newcastles 12th and Huddersfields 16th.

Huddersfield, for all their attacking adventure away from home are only 2 points better off then us, in the away table, hence they are below us with a massively inferior goal difference.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Which team has conceded the least goals from open play away from home? With Man United in second place well ahead of the field.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
To be honest, I haven't bothered going away from home this season because we have been totally noncompetitive by design. The wins against West Ham and Swansea are going to prove to be crucial if we do stay up, and hopefully we can add Palace to that list.

We aren't ambitious enough as a team, and it must be frustrating for the players who are capable of doing more on the road especially.

Burnley only got a single away win last season and have kicked on this time, hopefully we'll do something similar but we've not been good enough away from home and I haven't heard anything from Hughton that he's felt we should be doing more. I don't want to hear, "we weren't at our best" again on saturday - it's become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I’ve been to a fair share of away games this season, and to be honest I wouldn’t say that our tactics have been necessarily down to a lack of ambition, the problem has been our inability to keep possession and string more than 3 passes together, which has simply invited pressure on ourselves and leads to us conceding eventually. That to me is nothing to do with tactics and seems more to me that players are too overwhelmed and go into panic mode, treating the ball like a hot potato. Arguably one of our best away performances was the league game at Man Ure (other than West Ham) and we seemed to pass the ball much better.

CH needs to somehow instill a bit more belief and calmness into our play away from home to keep the ball for longer periods, which then leads to a growth in confidence.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
IF two small letters which can change an aunt to an uncle.

Well obviously. :shrug:

Anyway, our goal difference isn't much different to most of the teams around us, with tough games to come. For most of the teams below us, if they caught us up they could easily overtake our GD, especially given if it was tied we'd likely lose out on goals scored.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
You really need to get better at this analysis lark, don't you. We are currently 8th in the table on home form, compared to Newcastles 12th and Huddersfields 16th.

Huddersfield, for all their attacking adventure away from home are only 2 points better off then us, in the away table, hence they are below us with a massively inferior goal difference.

In case you hadn't realised, this is a thread discussing us AWAY from home.

We all know we've generally been pretty good at home this season. But, as alluded to in the initial post, if we don't improve away from home next season (if we stay up), we'll again be heavily reliant on producing better than expected home form, which won't be easy.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well obviously. :shrug:

Anyway, our goal difference isn't much different to most of the teams around us, with tough games to come. For most of the teams below us, if they caught us up they could easily overtake our GD, especially given if it was tied we'd likely lose out on goals scored.

Huddersfield are -28, Stoke - 33, WBA -26. Three of the other teams are -19 We are -14.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
In case you hadn't realised, this is a thread discussing us AWAY from home.

We all know we've generally been pretty good at home this season. But, as alluded to in the initial post, if we don't improve away from home next season (if we stay up), we'll again be heavily reliant on producing better than expected home form, which won't be easy.

That's why I pointed out that experience, confidence and a summer transfer window will be important for next season. We have improved the squad and will do so again.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Oh for fuucks sake whats up with you people, you answer your own questions and yet expect us to agree with the tenant of your argument.

Burnley, got one away win last season, their first back in the top flight for, oh what 2 years... we currently have 2 wins in our first season back in the top flight in 34 years, so maybe, just maybe we can "kick on" like Burnley.

Burnley have built their away success this year on not conceding goals and pinching goals for away wins. Contrast that to their home form where they have only scored 12 goals at home all season! I wonder what the Amex faithful would think of that stat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here