Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Sayings your old mum or dad said.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
My mum's sayings and as a child bloody annoying :

When asking what was for pudding the stock response was " bread and pull it" Basically it meant never mind you've not got a choice as it's just what I've prepared and be thankful

If you asked where she was going or where she had been? Response was " off/been to see a man about a dog" . Infuriatingly it was a lighthearted way of saying none of your concern or anything for you to worry about

Probably a fairly common one was ' black over Will's mother's ' which was simply referring to black clouds before rain

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
MUM “Just you WAIT til your Dad gets home 😠!’

DAD “Ask your Mother 🤷‍♂️

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
If you asked where she was going or where she had been? Response was " off/been to see a man about a dog" . Infuriatingly it was a lighthearted way of saying none of your concern or anything for you to worry about
Still hear that quite often!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I’m sure my mum had a saying for every occasion when I was a kid, just a few I can remember at the moment.

Best foot forward - meant we were walking to the shops.
A third class ride is better than a first class walk - think we were catching a bus.
I after e except after c - she never went to South Heighton :smile:
Ask doesn’t get - still struggling with that one. ???
Children in Africa are starving - when i didn’t eat something i had told her 100 times I didn’t like.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
“Little fish taste sweet”, my dad when referring to a little win on the horses (usually a placed each way bet).

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
If you’re being indecisive..

“You’re in and out like a fart in a colander!”

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Oh dear. I still say some of those!

My 97 year old Mum said just a couple of months ago “I hope that Liz Truss gets in. The other chap looks ‘a bit foreign’”🙄 (in her broad West Country accent!)

I’ve tried to educate her over the years😆

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
A friends Grandfather when going for a number two would say " I'm off to turn the Vicar's bike around".
Never been able to work that one out, made me laugh and I don't know why?

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
If I was pulling a face as a child I was always told "if the wind changes you'll stay like that" If the sun came out while it was still raining it was called a "monkeys birthday" and my dear old Nan used to tell us kids to behave or "Boney'll getcha!"

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I’m sure my mum had a saying for every occasion when I was a kid, just a few I can remember at the moment.

Best foot forward - meant we were walking to the shops.
A third class ride is better than a first class walk - think we were catching a bus.
I after e except after c - she never went to South Heighton :smile:
Ask doesn’t get - still struggling with that one. ???
Children in Africa are starving - when i didn’t eat something i had told her 100 times I didn’t like.
My mum did the children in Africa one and once, when I was still very young, I totally innocently said: “can we send it to them, then?”

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
MUM “Just you WAIT til your Dad gets home 😠!’

DAD “Ask your Mother 🤷‍♂️
"Go and ask your mother" was going to be my contribution to this thread....:D

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Another of my mum's was, when insisting on paying for something, "There's no pockets in a shroud" meaning "you can't take it with you". She didn't either, when everything was settled we inherited about ninety quid.

Carlos BC

May 10, 2019
When my Mum was asked 'What's for dinner? ' she would often say shit & sugar . I got in trouble for being a smartarse when I said to her once - 'Oh really, I thought it was your cooking that was bad, not the ingredients' . I then had no dinner given to me that evening.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
My dad used to advise:

Never go out in the rain, without wearing your mac.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here