Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Say your goodbyes to free health care...

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I imagine Boris’s statement being something like this

“The NHS in its current form early could not cope with the demands made upon it during the Covid crisis and so to protect the nation against another crisis we are rendering the running of the NHS to for profit companies in the US and China who can better cope in times of great need”.

it's just your imagination. Very boring if that's all you imagine, I imagine loads of stuff, sometimes it can be exciting and gives me the horn

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
China!

Good shout.

Large number of Care homes in the Uk are owned by Chinese State companies via tax havens.
https://theferret.scot/scottish-care-homes-chinese-state-tax-havens/

(and making very good money from them, while staff are exploited and patients fail to be protected)

This relates to Scotland, but same companies operate acoss the UK.

So yes - if we decide we'll take health care in the drection of aged-care rather than the other way round...China!

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Can you read?

"The present business model is unsustainable with increasing population and longer life expectancy with less folks paying into the system, so something needs to change sometime."

Can you think.? ..they have been
Peddling that line for decades to justify austerity. Yep find money for wealthy tax cuts and to bail out business. Perhaps if they make the elite contribute more?

D

Deleted member 22389

there is still the free at point of use service available.

meanwhile what we should be talking about is whether the current model of centralised healthcare is actually suitable, other countries with other models seem to have better healthcare outcomes. but no discussion on that is permitted lest the dark forces take over healthcare.

:thumbsup:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
government's MPs voting down a opposition amendment does not mean something else is pre-determined to happen. nothing has changed as a consequence.

in the event a trade deal offers some new enviornment that means US providers come into the market (which they are free to do so already), there is still the free at point of use service available.

meanwhile what we should be talking about is whether the current model of centralised healthcare is actually suitable, other countries with other models seem to have better healthcare outcomes. but no discussion on that is permitted lest the dark forces take over healthcare.
Then why offer up the legislation and most importantly why now?

Funding and management structure is the key. I’d rather pay more out of my income and see it stay in our hands.
Restructuring is needed, not privatisation to the US.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Large number of Care homes in the Uk are owned by Chinese State companies via tax havens.
https://theferret.scot/scottish-care-homes-chinese-state-tax-havens/

(and making very good money from them, while staff are exploited and patients fail to be protected)

This relates to Scotland, but same companies operate acoss the UK.

So yes - if we decide we'll take health care in the drection of aged-care rather than the other way round...China!

Quite. I should think thousands of buildings full of sick people, all paying through their teeth for treatment would be very attractive to Chinese business.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Then why offer up the legislation and most importantly why now?

the Trade bill? seems quite important thing to have at this time.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Relevance to healthcare?

Absolutely. Thousands of people voted for this incompetent bunch of crooks and charlatans based on the continual chanting of "Get Brexit done", ignoring the detrimental effects of all their policies. This is now coming home to roost.
Sold off NHS ? This one's on you, Brexiteers.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Absolutely. Thousands of people voted for this incompetent bunch of crooks and charlatans based on the continual chanting of "Get Brexit done", ignoring the detrimental effects of all their policies. This is now coming home to roost.
Sold off NHS ? This one's on you, Brexiteers.

Okaaaaaayyyyyy.

Nice one :thumbsup:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Taking the source of the news away, what do you think of the news?

I thinks that things cannot continue as they are, without massive rises in taxation.

When I moved here I was somewhat concerned about healthcare provision. Now I know a little more I am quite comfortable with it. Just like the UK, emergency treatment is free at the point of delivery. In fact most treatment is free at the point of delivery.

You can choose which GP surgery you wish to be registered at, one that operates ‘free’, or if you want a more personal, tailored service you may well need to pay. Non emergency but necessary procedures are probably carried out more quickly than in the UK and again are free of charge. The difference is elective surgery/treatments, these are not freely available to most. You can either take out low level insurance, which you will probably need to pay excesses upon, or have full private healthcare. The trick here is to start it young, as premiums are surcharged the later you leave it. With low level insurance you do get generous allowances on dental, optical and other medical needs to a point. I get free dental check ups and hygienist cover twice a year, and it covers maybe 60% of all dental treatment costs. I also get to have ‘free’ specs up to about £175 every year (I can top up further). I can also claim for a certain amount of massage, acupuncture, and other treatments on an annual basis. This costa about £40 monthly.

The downside? Prescriptions from your GP cost a lot more than the £8ish fee charged in the UK. My monthly asthma preventative treatment costs me about £25, on the other hand a Ventolin inhaler costs about £4 as it is on a list of drugs that are seen as being important to be easily accessible, you can just walk in and buy one. Annoyingly, a tiny tube of Betnovate is also priced at about £25, this figure is important as below that price you cannot claim from your insurance.

Overall, a number of minor annoyances, but overall OK. Those in real need get necessary treatment, those who are savvy do OK. Taxation is higher here to pay for public services, but by bringing in private companies it does introduce competition which eliminates a lot of waste. I am fortunate enough to be able to put money away for a rainy day, but feel comfortable enough that a mix of public and private healthcare will be up to my expectations. As I said earlier, the trick is to get onto full private healthcare before you are 30 years old, many youngsters choose not to.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I thinks that things cannot continue as they are, without massive rises in taxation.

When I moved here I was somewhat concerned about healthcare provision. Now I know a little more I am quite comfortable with it. Just like the UK, emergency treatment is free at the point of delivery. In fact most treatment is free at the point of delivery.

You can choose which GP surgery you wish to be registered at, one that operates ‘free’, or if you want a more personal, tailored service you may well need to pay. Non emergency but necessary procedures are probably carried out more quickly than in the UK and again are free of charge. The difference is elective surgery/treatments, these are not freely available to most. You can either take out low level insurance, which you will probably need to pay excesses upon, or have full private healthcare. The trick here is to start it young, as premiums are surcharged the later you leave it. With low level insurance you do get generous allowances on dental, optical and other medical needs to a point. I get free dental check ups and hygienist cover twice a year, and it covers maybe 60% of all dental treatment costs. I also get to have ‘free’ specs up to about £175 every year (I can top up further). I can also claim for a certain amount of massage, acupuncture, and other treatments on an annual basis. This costa about £40 monthly.

The downside? Prescriptions from your GP cost a lot more than the £8ish fee charged in the UK. My monthly asthma preventative treatment costs me about £25, on the other hand a Ventolin inhaler costs about £4 as it is on a list of drugs that are seen as being important to be easily accessible, you can just walk in and buy one. Annoyingly, a tiny tube of Betnovate is also priced at about £25, this figure is important as below that price you cannot claim from your insurance.

Overall, a number of minor annoyances, but overall OK. Those in real need get necessary treatment, those who are savvy do OK. Taxation is higher here to pay for public services, but by bringing in private companies it does introduce competition which eliminates a lot of waste. I am fortunate enough to be able to put money away for a rainy day, but feel comfortable enough that a mix of public and private healthcare will be up to my expectations. As I said earlier, the trick is to get onto full private healthcare before you are 30 years old, many youngsters choose not to.

There’s few things worse than expats droning on about how things are better in their adopted home.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
In another betrayal by the Conservative government they have voted down a clause protecting the NHS from being on the table in any future trade negotiations, amongst other clauses that would have protected our NHS.

Another concern that was written off as “project fear” has now come to pass.

If you ain’t worried now, you ain’t paying attention.

https://evolvepolitics.com/breaking...UQcQUlSrldnnv7LskC2vJP4MadjyKwpsVqNwQlb1ITa8o

Miss-leading article and miss-leading thread title. Some here are Guido Fawkes, you are The Canary. Both equally worth avoiding politically.

And I'm left of centre.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Insurances are ok in the right hands. Many insurers find get out clauses, and in the USA many people are bankrupted due to hospital bills.
My cousin's daughter died of liver cancer in her 40s because the insurance company refused to pay out, and she couldn't afford the treatment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here