Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Save Preston Park Cycle Track - slow ride this Saturday at 11am

Don't get me started

One Nation under CCTV
Jul 24, 2007
Not at Preston Park, but a guy in Portsmouth was killed when he hit the fence at a velodrome with a similar fencing structure. That is what has resulted in British Cycling reviewing all the fencing at velodromes in the UK.

They are replacing fencing at all of theirs. The issue with Preston Park is that they don't own the facility, the council do. This is why they are not prepared to foot the entire bill for the fencing.

I hate to be mercenary about this but it was 1 person from millions and surely the health benefits to the kids who want to cycle outweigh the potential dangers, I love cycling and my son use to be a member of the club there, but this is akin to taking all dogs teeth out in case they bite someone.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I hate to be mercenary about this but it was 1 person from millions and surely the health benefits to the kids who want to cycle outweigh the potential dangers, I love cycling and my son use to be a member of the club there, but this is akin to taking all dogs teeth out in case they bite someone.

Ah, there I have to agree with you. There have been a number of other accidents as well, but no deaths.

That said, if I saw the fence and my son whizzing past it in a race at some suicidal speed, I'd be a tad worried.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here