Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Save PAFC - Go green for Leeds game?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
"You'll never walk alone" was sung by football fans around the country in the 1960's , 1970's and 1980's irrespective of who they supported. I think the lyrics are quite poignant in showing support for PAFC especially as it was an Argyle fan who suggested Fans United in our hour of need.

At Home Park-certainly not at The Amex and definitely not when LFC visit.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It is, without a shadow of a doubt, considered a Liverpool song these days. It's also schmaltzy, cliched and dull. No thanks.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Avongreen

Sep 8, 2011
Bath
Huge thanks to everyone for organising this, it means so much to know that other fans are standing by us. I have a couple of PAFC scarves and a 2004 replica shirt (medium) that I'd be happy to send to anyone who would like them.

mrjon1976

Found bliss in ignorance
Jul 25, 2011
gravesend
Huge thanks to everyone for organising this, it means so much to know that other fans are standing by us. I have a couple of PAFC scarves and a 2004 replica shirt (medium) that I'd be happy to send to anyone who would like them.

would be interested in a scarf please - pm me and we can sort something out :)

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
These are worth a buy..........5ft green flag.

Search ebay for: CHEQUERED GREEN AND WHITE FLAG 5FT X 3FT...cant post the URL as I am restricted.

I have no green clothing so thought this would do for North Stand Central (so central I cant sing right side or left side, so so so confusing).

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Could be pretty spectacular on Sky for the Liverpool game if "You'll Never Walk Alone" is played on the PA system with 2,500 Scousers singing with red scarves aloft and 20,000 Albion fans singing and holding up green cards. :wink:

I fully agree with you seagullsovergrimsby about YNWA for Liverpool game, it is a brilliant idea, but for different reasons and done differently........ please let me give my reasons why.

Firstly it should only be done by the Liverpool fans, NOT the Albion fans and ONLY if the Liverpool supporters club/fans agree and "Go Green" themselves....... no way jose in their own red colours.

Whilst the song is a well known football song and the words are very poignant to Argyles plight (there are other songs with apt words also), its less about Us, Liverpool, the song or even the words. It is massive opportunity to create lots of free publicity for our "Go Green" day against Leeds and fans reunited, which serves the purposes of struggling Plymouth.

I don't particularly like the song or Liverpool football club, but please just imagine that wednesday night....

possibly over half of Albions fans, many of whom don't read NSC, turn up on the night and get a flyer stuffed in their hand for Something called "Go Green" 48 hours later........

If the complicit Liverpool fans sang their Anthem, known by all, and which they do so spectacularly at Anfield on European nights - but rather than all the red ( a definite NO NO), they did so using the "Green Army banner" and made a sea of Green - It serves 2 key purposes in my eyes. (other than giving the Liverpool fans a chance to support Argyles plight)

The lesser purpose, is now you have thousands of Albion fans, who have seen what "Go Green" is about, increasing the chance imho of more involvement in our Friday "Go Green" event.

Much Much more importantly, Liverpool, one of our biggest and most succesfull clubs have just sung their proud anthem, "you'll never walk alone" holding up Argyle stuff, In front of the Sky cameras and a press corp who loves to write about them daily.....however you dice it, that IS NEWS.

The photographers will take pictures, and now somebody in Edinburgh or Carlisle is either seeing it on TV or reading about it, and that serves the interests of Plymouth.

If getting fans to go to Plymouth and buy tickets at fans united, was your business venture, and you had the chance to get Liverpool to do such a thing when Live TV cameras were there, you'd not only bite off their hand you'd pay a sizeable amount of money for them to do so.

There is a good chance they may say no anyway, so it may all be irrelevant???

And peoples concerns are valid, We are at home in a league cup match, and as Albion fans we bought tickets to see the Albion try and win and want to retain any advantage we can and sing our songs and not help Liverpool, but taking 1 for the team for 2 1/2 minutes, could do more to generate national interest in fans reunited and Plymouth's cause, than many of our own efforts?

I'll get back in my basket!!

Feb 14, 2010
Just to say that "You'll never walk alone" was not a "Liverpool" song until the late 1980's, everyone used to sing it, even Man United. It was the press love in with the scousers that turned it into a "liverpool" song. Personally I think Celtic's version is much better.

Lush

Mods' Pet
0,,10433~9979683,00.gif

Has it started early? :clap:

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
get in touch with some plymouth fans to come down with buckets outside the ground.....surely lots of leeds and bha fans will put a quid or two in.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Just to say that "You'll never walk alone" was not a "Liverpool" song until the late 1980's, everyone used to sing it, even Man United. It was the press love in with the scousers that turned it into a "liverpool" song. Personally I think Celtic's version is much better.

Nothing like trying to re-write football history. I think you'll find that Liverpool first started singing this in the 60's and other clubs, including The Albion, started to use it-mainly in the early 70's.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here